Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

What Do You Do For A Living?

This is a discussion on What Do You Do For A Living? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I'll be graduating in May with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering. Was the school hard? You bet your ass it ...

Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I'll be graduating in May with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering. Was the school hard? You bet your ass it was. I remember my first day of class when my professor told us that "you guys are the hardest working students on campus. When all your friends are going out on Thursday nights, you'll be doing homework in your room." And son of a gun, that guy was right on. There's a lot of time sacrifices to make and there's absolutely no way to coast through with C's. Heck, sometimes all you wish is to GET a C. In a weird way, engineering school makes you hate engineering.

Now was it all worth it? Or better yet, does it pay off? Luckily, engineers are one of the professions in demand, and I just signed on with an aerospace manufacturer at 58k a year. Most students with decent grades won't have a problem getting a job when they graduate. But a good tip is to get in on a summer internship during college. It gives you some good real world experiences and gives you an opportunity to prove to your employer that you can do the work and you're flexible enough to learn new things.

But I feel like I have to say that you shouldn't go into engineering because teachers in high school said "you're good at math and science...you should go into engineering." You need to make that decision for yourself.

At any rate, mechanical engineering is one of the most rewarding lines of work out there. It's what i like to call the 'slut of engineering' because you can really do anything with this degree. And it's not because of WHAT you learn in school; it's because of of they way it teaches you to think. I can easily see how my way of thinking has transformed over the past four years. Employers like that about engineers because it makes them very adaptable. Take me for example: I'll be starting in an engineering development program that circulates me in process engineering, quality engineering, lean manufacturing, and supply chain management.

As far as any career goes, networking is very important. I would guess that at least half the jobs that people get are because someone referred them, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. That being said, networking doesn't solve all of your problems. It may originally GET you your job, but it won't let you KEEP your job. That is all up to you proving yourself.

Good Luck

3.4l's of sex.....

green
    93' Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by camaross19973 View Post
    am like ndt lucky cuse i just went 2 yrs of college and i am supevisor of the rail systm for metro in los angeles had to go through though time working my ass of just to get where am at today.over $85 k a yr and still not enough lol should of finished school and listen to my dad .but u young guys out their if u like driveing heavy machinery u need to get into local 12 or the operators union here in cali u go through a apenticeship and when u finsh u get up to jurneyman they make up to or over 100,000k a yr with a high school diploma beat that.
    ya theres a old timer at my work who didnt graduate high school and last year he made over 100k. unions rule. how often will a drop out make over $30/hr? o ya, forced overtime doesnt hurt either

red
    1999 camaro Z28

aircraft mechanic at a repair station at the airport. I do major repairs, inspections, rework, little line maintenance anymore.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

wow... i read all these post and not one person posted as a automotive technician.. LOL... Well I'm a smog tech and work in cali the pay is great you don't have to do to much.. I"m also an automotive tech too. I love working on cars it is my passion. One day I would like to open up a shop and do nothing but GM high performance things like Dyno tuning and puting in SC, Turbos, and H/C pkgs. There will always be work for us auto techs.. and its pretty stable..

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

I'm a Financial Advisor with UBS. My expertise is financial planning for high net worth individuals. Education: I have a Bachelor's in Trust & Investment Management, minor in Financial Planning and a M.B.A.

After several years with Merrill Lynch and Bank of America's Private Bank in their respective High Net Worth Trust offices, me and a few buddies joined UBS to start our own business.

My degree in Trust is unique as Campbell University (in central NC) is the ONLY school in the nation that offers an undergraduate degree in "Trust Management". High net worth trust administration is a niche business and fortunately many of the larger financial firms are perfectly aware of Campbell's Trust Management degree. Finding that niche while I was still in college helped me find a great job several months before I graduated. Once I got in the door at Merrill Lynch, I worked hard to climb the ladder and finally landed in management at Bank of America's Private Bank. Fortunately, hard work and years of focused expertise has opened the door to many wonderful opportunities!
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

white
    1998 Z28

im a detention deputy. good' ol kern county lol

99 Hugger Z28, 03 R6

Nice to see some aviation in this thread. Just like Zforce1, Im an aircraft mechanic too. Our shop is decent sized but the airport limits the size of jets. Although there are plenty of ups and downs, I enjoy my job. Just recently, I transfered departments within the company. I now work with avionics. In a nutshell, avionics is working with very expensive apple IIe's.

I also have my pilots license. I get to fly other peoples airplanes for work every couple of weeks. I've totalled up about 100 hrs of without paying a dime vs rental airplanes in the last year.

Like stated before, networking is key. There are some really good jobs in aviation but really hard to find.

Pay? Im 3 yrs into it and Im at 40k/yr. The shitty part about this industry is that if you want a good raise, switch jobs. Negotiate your higher pay in the interview. Thats my fault, Im with the same company. 60k is common, 80k is generally management. 80k+ is one of those really good jobs that are hard to come by.

My $0.02

Black
    1999 Z28

Switchgear tech. for Square D company in Oxford, Ohio. Basically if you have ever seen the switchboards/switchgear that distributes power through hospitals, colleges or any other large building, thats what I test before it goes out the door. The scary part is im only 19 but working hard for the right reasons has paid off for me. Its a "Salary" position but it is "non-exempt" which means I get paid by the hour and it comes down to $15.50 an hour but ot is $22.35 not bad for a 19 year old. Also pursuing a bachelors in Electrical Engineering @ Miami Oxford. It is not an easy life trying to balance a job that requires more time than there is hours in the day, School, and keep the girlfriend happy. Needless to say I dont sleep much.

blue
    1999 camaro ss #976

hey warp211 where did u take ur exam for ur smog cert. if u can give some info that will be great thx ahead of time.

systems engineer at a financial holding company with 3 banks under it among several other insurance businesses. do all the webmaster/citrix/database/server stuff. pretty fun job, always challenging, great pay and benefits. my boss is the coolest person ever too

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    Senior electronic technician and I repair industrial electro/mechanical equipment for factories that build almost anything. (2) associate degrees was enough for me. But electronics is also scary because the smaller they keep making it, the more it is "throw-away" and buy new only.
    does that fall under the field of "programmer?" I did some research and I found that they came make up to like 80 grand a year, I was blown away.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

IT guru. Getting paid to post!

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS-6

i went to college for 4 years, got a degree and now i'm a laborer!! what can you do??

White
    2001 Camaro SS

I'm an infantryman in the Marine Corps. I've been in 4 years and am currently in Iraq but getting ready to come home.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I sell you Cheetos

Black
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

I'm a

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

hey blind boy u still young look at the operators union they make a shit load of cash u should know that is u do paveing
    hey , thanks for the advice ... yea i have been doin operating work since i started as an apprentice, but im not in the operators union yet , i would like to be .

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

hey warp211 where did u take ur exam for ur smog cert. if u can give some info that will be great thx ahead of time.
    I went to Wyotech in Fremont Ca. I did the whole program thats auto and the smog classes. But check around in your local colleges you should be able to find something their and its not too expensive. You need to take A-6,A-8, L-1 classes and pass their written exam.. Before you can take the test for
    the state and become a Tech. Or you can take the ASE TEST but you have to register and sign up for the exams. The only come twice a year!! and their about 50 questions each.

Sunset Orange
    2002 TransAm

Went to college, but didn't finish. Machinist for 33 years now. Good money.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

I'd suggest taking as many different classes as possible. I ended up majoring in creative writing based off of some core classes I took, and although it was interesting, it didn't really hold a lot of promise in terms of work after school. I worked as a mechanic through college and for two years after I graduated, and then I was hired on as an editor for two national car magazines that each focus on the collector car market. I get to travel to high-end collector car auctions a few times a year, and I spend my days working with text about all sorts of classic cars.

You'll know you're on the right track when work doesn't feel like work.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information