Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

What Do You Do For A Living?

This is a discussion on What Do You Do For A Living? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I am a musician/teacher/ working on my Doctorate. Hard line of work, low pay, and have spent way to much ...

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I am a musician/teacher/ working on my Doctorate. Hard line of work, low pay, and have spent way to much on my education. However, I do get to play when I am at work

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

i am a general engineer ( fancy word for construction worker ) i pave roads in California .... fixing all them pot holes ! i dont really like , my job , but i cant find a job that pays higher without spending a ass load of money on college

LE Anniversary
    02 SS, 02 Firehawk

I went to college for 2 years, trying to figure out which degree to get. I leaned towards business management, then decided that paying for an education I could give myself was stupid. Joined the military, bought some books, educated myself, bought some real estate, and now I'm about to get out and not work for anybody ever again. If there is one thing I've learned in my jaunts around the world, it is that people spend too much time learning how to work for other people, and not enough time learning how to work for themselves. If you have the discipline, anybody can educate themselves and earn serious money. It doesn't take a college degree to make something of yourself. In fact, chances are, with a college degree you are going to end up using your knowledge to make someone else rich. That is what the people I hire do. Instead of using their knowledge for themselves, they use it for me. Something to keep in mind.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Im a manager for Target pays well but you have to be willing to work every other weekend. The best thing i like about it is that im always moving, tried a desk job hated it never again, and the number of girls ive gotten to know b/c of that place doesnt hurt either 3 of my g/fs i picked up while helping them with merchandise at the store.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierSS02 View Post
    Haha that's what I'm graduating with in a month...
    Where do you go to school at? I'm at Purdue.

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    I went to college for 2 years, trying to figure out which degree to get. I leaned towards business management, then decided that paying for an education I could give myself was stupid. Joined the military, bought some books, educated myself, bought some real estate, and now I'm about to get out and not work for anybody ever again. If there is one thing I've learned in my jaunts around the world, it is that people spend too much time learning how to work for other people, and not enough time learning how to work for themselves. If you have the discipline, anybody can educate themselves and earn serious money. It doesn't take a college degree to make something of yourself. In fact, chances are, with a college degree you are going to end up using your knowledge to make someone else rich. That is what the people I hire do. Instead of using their knowledge for themselves, they use it for me. Something to keep in mind.
    Might want to stay in a couple more years. Market for real estate isn't so hot right now. I have to disagree with you though on one of your statements. WITHOUT a college degree you are more likely to be making someone else money than you would WITH one. All of the self education in reading books on your own time wont amount to a hill of beans on a job application without a certification, degree, etc to back it up. If you've got money for college from the military, you should REALLY consider using it first, then going into whatever else you want to do.

And on a side note: Personally... I don't care if I bring home $60,000 a year and my employer makes $100,000 due to work I've done VS me making $60,000 by myself doing the same thing (if possible, likely have to work harder). It's still $60,000..

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Quote Originally Posted by fluke View Post
    Might want to stay in a couple more years. Market for real estate isn't so hot right now. I have to disagree with you though on one of your statements. WITHOUT a college degree you are more likely to be making someone else money than you would WITH one. All of the self education in reading books on your own time wont amount to a hill of beans on a job application without a certification, degree, etc to back it up. If you've got money for college from the military, you should REALLY consider using it first, then going into whatever else you want to do.

And on a side note: Personally... I don't care if I bring home $60,000 a year and my employer makes $100,000 due to work I've done VS me making $60,000 by myself doing the same thing (if possible, likely have to work harder). It's still $60,000..
    I agree, you need to have that degree on paper. That is what is respected and basically required anymore.

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

I manage a Tattoo and Piercing Studio, I'm also a piercer and I'm in the process of opening another studio in another town, and will own it.

I still dont make near enough. Hopefully once i get the other studio open i can start saving some money for parts for my ss!

Looking for my next LSX 6-Speeder's Avatar

PBM
    2004 GTO M6 PBM

Im about to graduate college (walk on my birthday hurray!) in May and I'm interning with the ATF (Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives) I'm also applying for a job at the same time since i got my clearance, I'm not sure exactly what Ill be doing but Ill hopefully figure that out during the internship and go from there.

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Uh...analyst, 18 years same job, environment much like Jack Bauer's

Pewter
    2002 Z28 (sold)

I work for this law firm in NYC. I basically do all the mobile computing stuff that they need. I get paid pretty good money, hours kinda suck, and working with lawyers, just plain sucks! I have been doing this for 8 years commuting from PA to NYC getting up at 4 AM to be to work by 7 blows!

What ever you go to school for, make sure you really like it as this might be your job/career for life.

Black
    1994 Firebird Formula

I'm a respiratory therapist. You can't go wrong with healthcare. The jobs are all in demand from respiratory to nursing, x ray techs, etc. 2 years of school gets you 40-60K depending on what you do and what shift you work etc. Not to mention you can find a job anywhere in the country and job security is about 99.9%

blue
    1999 camaro ss #976

hey blind boy u still young look at the operators union they make a shit load of cash u should know that is u do paveing

red
    2000 z28

I am a heavy equiment tech for john deere so i get to play with big tonka toys lol I love my job and really couldnt see me doing any thing else heavy equiment mechanics run in my blood and i am so glad i get to work for the best company in the industry i am really lucky to be doing it

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Senior electronic technician and I repair industrial electro/mechanical equipment for factories that build almost anything. (2) associate degrees was enough for me. But electronics is also scary because the smaller they keep making it, the more it is "throw-away" and buy new only.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i'm a network technicain at central michigan university. Might be getting a job at Dow in the networking feild

pewter
    1999 camaro ss #4288

i have a degree in industrial design but i do graphic design and marketing for a small manufacturing company.

back 'n better than ever Kjz99z28's Avatar

White/Black
    1999 Z28

Right now I'm in school for Architecture. We'll see how it turns out when I'm done, but I have heard all that about not getting a general degree. I've also heard it's a little better if you get a pre-professional degree.

I originally wanted to do something business-related.. but then realized it felt like a dumb decision because all my friends that had no idea what they wanted to do.. were business majors "just because."

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

i'm a CH-47D Helicopter Mechanic/ Flight Engineer/ Flight Engineer Instructor/ and for the duration of this deployment i'm also the Flight Platoon Sergeant,(HMIC). i started off in the army about 10 years ago as an Infantryman with the 82nd Airborne Division and did that for about 3 1/2 years. there really isn't much for a grunt to do in the real world other than be a cop or something simular so i went Aviation to learn a good trade. i plan on being in for the long haul but no civilian education could bite me in the ass down the road. especially when it comes to promotion in the Army. i plan on getting an Airframe & Powerplant lisence in a couple of years and that helps out big when searching for a civilian counterpart to my job. but the Army picks up the bill for the A&P lisence so i still need to figure out what to use my GI Bill on.

Black
    99 Z28 VERT A4 DD

Up until December I was a C-130 Loadmaster in the Air Force. Now I'm a G. I. Bill bum studying pre-law hoping to get in to law school. My Camaro is a driver and I don't see being able to afford many upgrades on it any time soon.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information