what clutch to go with

This is a discussion on what clutch to go with within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; i'm fixin to replaced my clutch and don't know which one to go back with.any one with any info would ...

reed98

what clutch to go with

i'm fixin to replaced my clutch and don't know which one to go back with.any one with any info would help.AND i'm wanting to put an light weight flywheel .whats the pros and cons of that.

red
    00 camaro ss

As far a the clutch goes It really depends on your hp. I totally recommend a spec clutch. If your hp is stock then go with a stage II , if you are modified go with a stage III or IV (depending on the specs of your modifications), If you have big hp go with stage 5, I have a stage 5 but it kind of sucks on the street because its like a light switch, on or off!!

There has always been a debate about the flywheel. Lighter (aluminum) helps rev faster. heavier (steel) is good for keeping the momentum once you are already in the high rpm range. I went with the happy medium and went with the lightened steel flywheel. but Im sure this will raise some kind of debate on this thread.

hope this helps.
    00 ss camaro, 6.0 liter iron block, 4" callies crank, 4" Mahle pistons, Howards rods, Comp cam .598/.598, ported polished heads, Fast 90mm intake and tb flp headers and y pipe, lingenfelter muffler and tips, Maf, injectors, frame connectors.

pegz28
    i have a 2000ss with headers k/n air filter, nitrious with 200shot don't really know alot about the car bought it with everything.i had a spec 3 clucth and new 6 speed trans. installed.know i beleive where just going to go with a complete clutch kit.

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    Center Force Dual Friction. with this you get 90% holding capacity over stock. Even if your engine is stock this leaves you room to improve without changing clutches when you hit 450 hp. ive heard nothing but bad news about spec clutches.

www .jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2150&prmenbr=361
    Last edited by bww3588; 09-17-2005 at 07:59 PM.

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

I Just Put A Spec Stage 3 And Slp Billet Steel Flywheel In My 99 Ss And It Works Pretty Good At The Track But I Had Alot Of Trouble Getting It Right. Replaced All Hydraulics Bled It And It Vibrated. Spec Said It Was Normal To Have Some Vibration During The Breakin Period(500 Miles) So The Vibration Worked The Bolts Out Of The Flywheel And Caused Me Alot Of Grief And Alot Of Foul Words To Alot Of People. But It Seems To Be Working Pretty Good Now After A Month And A Half And About 1000 Miles. If I Had It To Do Over I Would Go With Either The Exedy Or The Mcleod, But Im Pleased For What I Paid I Guess.

Black
    99 SS

i have heard so many bad storeis of Spec and have had a lot of close frineds that have had a lot of problems with Spec. get the Centerforce and try that out

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    i have heard so many bad storeis of Spec and have had a lot of close frineds that have had a lot of problems with Spec. get the Centerforce and try that out
    Centerforce seems to be the best bet IMO.

red
    00 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 1SSWFO
    I Just Put A Spec Stage 3 And Slp Billet Steel Flywheel In My 99 Ss And It Works Pretty Good At The Track But I Had Alot Of Trouble Getting It Right. Replaced All Hydraulics Bled It And It Vibrated. Spec Said It Was Normal To Have Some Vibration During The Breakin Period(500 Miles) So The Vibration Worked The Bolts Out Of The Flywheel And Caused Me Alot Of Grief And Alot Of Foul Words To Alot Of People. But It Seems To Be Working Pretty Good Now After A Month And A Half And About 1000 Miles. If I Had It To Do Over I Would Go With Either The Exedy Or The Mcleod, But Im Pleased For What I Paid I Guess.
    there is a new invention called locktite. lol jk. that sucks about your flyweel bolts.

Black
    2000 SS

DO NOT GET THE CENTERFORCE!!! I hope I'm not too late. I put a centerforce dual friction on my other camaro. 97' supercharged Z28. The car has around 450hp. The dual friction clutch has weights on the diaphram connected by metal rings. At WOT in second gear I snapped both rings and the weights got thrown into the outside of the clutch. The clutch then came completely off the clutch fork and left me stranded 20 miles from home in the country. The purpose of the weights are to make the clutch grab harder. Spec's are not as streetable but I've never heard of something like this happening with a spec. I'm lucky nothing was damaged internally. DO NOT BUY A CENTERFORCE!! I have heard of this happening to at least 3 other people in my city alone!! It is way too common of a problem to risk it.

Bad habbit- Smoking Fords

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Go with a new ZO6 (2004) clutch kit. Reasonably priced, comes with a flywheel,pressure plate and clutch disc, it'll hold 425 rwhp and only cost $394. You will also need to upgrade your master and slave units. If you have serious mods I'd go with a Clutchmaster Stage II.
    Last edited by SOMSS; 10-04-2005 at 05:23 AM.
    2001 SS - 430 RWHP 412 RWTQ
    6 spd, FIPK, Corsa exhaust, LS7 clutch, Dart Pro PP LS1 heads, custom 220/224 cam, Kooks LT's. Ported TB, Full suspension, C5 ZO6 brake upgrade.

quazimoto
    camaros rock

quazimoto
    do you guys like stangs?

Bad habbit- Smoking Fords

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

What do you think? F=found, O=on, R=road, D=dead = FORD

Black
    02 Camaro SS

textralia seems to be where it's at

Thread Information