Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

what air pressure should be used in tires @ 100 + mph ?

This is a discussion on what air pressure should be used in tires @ 100 + mph ? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 99blueZ Many guys on here have hit 150 + I personally have only got to 135 as ...

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    Many guys on here have hit 150 +

I personally have only got to 135 as i have no roads to really open up my car. But trust me at 135 the car had plennnnnnty left.
    u should be able to hit 150+ within 1 1/2 miles or less

Red
    1999 Camaro Z28

What does the manual say the tires need to be inflated to with the 2 fat chicks in the car?

Red
    02 Z28

More important.

The improtant factor in speed is tire design (speed rate). NEVER exceed the max pressure and make sure you have properly rated tires. Most high speed tires use an extra nylon belt under the tread to give it the extra strength for high speed, but it adds heat and heat (as well as low inflation) destroys tires. Even with Z rated tires (tires with a ZR, W or Y designation) it is not a good idea to maintain high speeds for more than a few miles. The 149mph rating on a "V" rated tire only means it is tested at this speed for a handfull of minutes. Race tires shed heat using thin gauges and expensive belting materials like kevlar (high cost and a short life). I have W rated (168mph) tires and frequently drive over 100 but never above 125. I apologize for preaching but I am a tire engineer and I have seen what too much speed can do.

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by olendorf View Post
    What does the manual say the tires need to be inflated to with the 2 fat chicks in the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    NOBODY HERE GOES OVER 100mph? That's a bunch of BS.
    If you own this type of car and don't push it past that you don't know what you're missing.
    tsk tsk tsk,, sarcasism. of course we all go 150+ at some point

red
    99' Camaro z28 LS1

strange!!!! Nobody going over 100mph where which country u talking about can u specify the name coz here in UAE nobody goes down 300kmph guys r touching 340km 335km on there VETTEs even families going on a highway go over 210km , 230 and i still thought this is slow and law is getting strick day by day

Black
    SS 02 6SPD

Quote Originally Posted by olendorf View Post
    Trick question...there will be no fat chicks when your driving a camaro...

Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Hey

I go in Germany that speed with my Z28.I drive 150 miles/hour over one hour and longer.My tirepressure is around 32 psi (= 2.2 bar). 40psi (2,7bar) is to much because the tires get too hot at this speed.When the tires are to hot you have more pressure in the tires and than you came over the max. pressure or the tire failed.But down go under 27psi at that speed (over 120mi/h) is the same effect!I donīt can explain it better because my english is to bad.When you go longer this speed than you need a transmission oil cooler.My 3-4 clutch burns two times because of this speed.

PS. my tire are the stock ones 245/50 R16
    (That the tires are rated to that speed that "is a must"! When you donīt have tires which rated over that speed what do you want to go, than the tires failed after few minutes!I use "W" rated tires, better for highspeed is without a limiter and with the right shift firmness, tires with a rate to 185 miles. I think is "Y")
    Carsten
    Last edited by Camarocarsten; 12-08-2006 at 03:30 AM.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

If you notice the car sinking as you go faster, its the aerodynamics of our cars coming into effect. the faster we go, the most downforce on our cars which holds them to the road better. I havent read an official windtunel test, but I am guessing at 110mph, the down force is a few hundred pounds, at 130 it could be well over 600lbs pushing down. ]

pewter

oops..ment that as to quote the guy from the first page.........no i havnt noticed increased downforce at 150mph.......actualy i notice the car starting to float and it feeels a lil dangerous ( i have stock suspension still) motertrend said about the 03-04 mustang cobras that ford limited them to 155 so they wouldnt " fly away" ...i dont belive our type of cars get much in the way of downforce.....prolly more lift from air geting under the car.....somthing lilke a vette/ferrari/porshe/lambo would obviously be a diff story........has anyone researched the downforce or lack of on our cars at high speeds? there must be a wind tunnel test done somwhere??

Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Yes when you go that speed with stock suspension and stock brakes it is very funny at 150 mph.When you brake in a circle that is very dangerous with the stock suspension.I had a race with stocksuspensions vs. a Porsche turbo and at 150 mph in a cicrle the rear axle goes another way as the rest of the camaro.It was cool but dangerous.Today I have KW lowering (adjustible) suspension with adjustible shocks, it is much more better. Another good suspension for that speed is Bilstein B6 shocks or the yellow from koni with eibach Proline springs.I had driven the sporlines to, this spring are to low for the city but the best for highspeed.The stock brakes are definitely to small.Much better are Movit or Brembo brakes.

The downforce is much better when you have a lowering from for example the sporline springs from eibach (I think front 1,8 and rear 1.6 inch or so), but you became not more downforce by air as a porsche or Lambo over that tuning, thats right!But to make all the groundforce over air is not good you had seen it few years ago at 24 hours in Le Mans as a Mercedes made a looping! The other way for more bond/adhesion is to became a low main emphasis over a lower car ( I mean with emphasis the balancer point/barycenter but I donīt know the right word for that) and more mechanical bond/adhesion.My Dad drive a Audi A6 4.2 as sportline with quattro and he hadnīt any chance agains my Camaro with the better suspension a the Autobahn (highway)! I hadnīt better swaybars or panhard rods and so on!

Carsten

pewter

thank you carston.......what are your mods? u must have a lot of fun with your camaro on the autobahn. any good storys? beating porsches/merc's/ bmw's/ audi rs4,6's??

Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

With mods here in germany is very difficult because the German Tüv. My mods are Borla Cat back,SLP cold air flow pack (with als the normal thing incl. smooth below), hand made MAF descreening/polished,PATC Raptor 700 Transmission,2300 Stall converter,Transmissioncooler, K&W Suspension full adjustible (lowering,shocks hardnes)

planed in the next year : Long tube headers a dual exhaust 3" handmade and Highflowcats (100cpi).and built in my NOS system.I had bought it two years ago but my Transmission was not so strong.(Today I have the Transmission but I drive only from March to September). + a Ultra Z hood or a Comp cam package. But than I need a custome tune an this cost here around 1000$

planed but I dont know If all these things are emissionlegal here in Germany that is the main difficult. 383er stroker comp cam 224/224 114lsa Stage 3 Heads and a iron engineblock + Nos or as twin turbo!But I must can switch off the turbos from the rest of the system . All these thing are completely illegal in Germany so I must see that all these thing are emission legal ( so it is also not legal but no one know it) or I can switch it off!Mooser rear axle with 3.42 and a better stall converter Ithink a Fuddle with a 3000 to 4000 stall (but that is a problem with the converter at this speeds here in Germany because the transmission oil is to hot)

complett Kill storys I write it later but my best kills are Mercedes E500, Audi 4,2 quattro the new and the old one and some other Audi A6,Porsche 911,Jaguar XK8,Audi A8 as 4.2 quattro,Audi S3 all from Roll on the Autobahn most to 120mph the S3 to 150mph.From a start a BMW M3 the old one with 321 HP and many other normal cars. Looses agains a VW Golf 16V turbo quattro on the 1/4 mile but my car was fully stock (288HP) and water at the track and again this Porsche Turbo because of the bad stock suspension and from this the following drift at 150mph.

Carsten
    Last edited by Camarocarsten; 12-08-2006 at 11:25 AM.

Black
    02 SS

From what I understand....at low psi a tire flexes more where it is in contact with the ground. At very high speeds any given point on the tire will be flexing and unflexing rapidly, so you run high psi to reduce this and increase safety.

black
    2000camaro

i have done 130ish trying to get to work on time on ia. county roads

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    oops..ment that as to quote the guy from the first page.........no i havnt noticed increased downforce at 150mph.......actualy i notice the car starting to float and it feeels a lil dangerous ( i have stock suspension still) motertrend said about the 03-04 mustang cobras that ford limited them to 155 so they wouldnt " fly away" ...i dont belive our type of cars get much in the way of downforce.....prolly more lift from air geting under the car.....somthing lilke a vette/ferrari/porshe/lambo would obviously be a diff story........has anyone researched the downforce or lack of on our cars at high speeds? there must be a wind tunnel test done somwhere??
    @ 138 mph mine didnt float or feel funny at all .........until I caught a big wind gust lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information