Whas deal with performance chips?

This is a discussion on Whas deal with performance chips? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I bought a 98 ss with dynomax exaust, short shifter, 4 53 gears, stage 2 clutch (115k on odometer but ...

JET BLACK
    99 SS

Whas deal with performance chips?

I bought a 98 ss with dynomax exaust, short shifter, 4 53 gears, stage 2 clutch (115k on odometer but gears threw speed o off so might be at 100k) but want more power. I go on ebay and see all these performance chips boasting 100 300 150 more horsepower and 40 mpg blah blah. Do these chips really perform like this, or are they blowing smoke? Do any of you guys have chips and how did they turn out? What are the good ones and what are the ones to stay away from? I want to buy one that adds 40-50 hps
    Last edited by khickenwang; 03-21-2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

LS1s don't take performance chips.

JET BLACK
    99 SS

i dont understand. so why are they advertisng on ebay camaro ls1 chps?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by khickenwang View Post
    i dont understand. so why are they advertisng on ebay camaro ls1 chps?
    Are you talking about on of those setups that goes between the ecm and the harmess? I don't know anyone whom has used them on lsx powered cars..
    You could just get a good tune for prolly what that costs or for a little more. imho

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

All those "chips" do is fake signals to allow for more fuel delivery. As soon as your computer realizes whats going on, the "chip" fails.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Read the literature on those postings and search online. You will find that the only explanation most offer is that they increase fuel to the engine by manipulating the O2 reading. So they give you more power by burning more fuel. There is no way you will add 50 horsepower from just dumping extra fuel into the cylinders.
    Spend you money on a tune, buy a lid, headers, or any of the other performance parts available. Just check around on here and see what people are using. You will get much more reliable information.
    If you really want a quick power adder, hit the juice.

JET BLACK
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Read the literature on those postings and search online. You will find that the only explanation most offer is that they increase fuel to the engine by manipulating the O2 reading. So they give you more power by burning more fuel. There is no way you will add 50 horsepower from just dumping extra fuel into the cylinders.
    Spend you money on a tune, buy a lid, headers, or any of the other performance parts available. Just check around on here and see what people are using. You will get much more reliable information.
    If you really want a quick power adder, hit the juice.

how much more power will a tune give me and cost? There is a place in fremont ca called synergy I hear they are good? And what about headers? How much power do some reasonable ones add? What are the good and bad ones? I dont believe in juice charged or turbos neither

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by khickenwang View Post
    how much more power will a tune give me and cost? There is a place in fremont ca called synergy I hear they are good? And what about headers? How much power do some reasonable ones add? What are the good and bad ones? I dont believe in juice charged or turbos neither
    long tube headers are illegal in cali. so if you dont know anybody who will pass your car then dont waste your time. if you do then LT's are easily 20whp. shorties wont give you power in a N/A set up. but a tune may or may not give power. it really depends on what is on the car already. but it will have the car running properly. it is optimum performance and reliability with a tuner who knows their stuff. look up tuned by frost in the sponsor section. he can get you squared away for much cheaper than a performance shop. the only reason to go performance shops is for install(if you cant do the work yourself) or when major work is done to the car. like heads, cam, or FI. and you dont have to believe in spray or boost but it is very real and very addictive lol. boost will be the only way a newer car in cali will have some real power, for example above 450whp. otherwise only small cams will pass smog. and a small cam with great heads will get you probably just under 400. if it goes over it wont go past 425. assuming you are into the numbers game as opposed to actual performance.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Like said go with the basic bolt ons first. Then heads/cam upgrade. Maybe that doesn't work with emissions out there? I"m in Ohio and they don't care much around here.
    As for the juice. Never ran it on the LS1 either. Had it in a 78 camaro, it was what I added after the stroke kit, overbore, heads, cam, stall, weight reduction and a few other things didn't make it fast enough anymore.
    Not a road I will go back down, but it gets the job done.
    Whatever you do: research it first.

JET BLACK
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Like said go with the basic bolt ons first. Then heads/cam upgrade. Maybe that doesn't work with emissions out there? I"m in Ohio and they don't care much around here.
    As for the juice. Never ran it on the LS1 either. Had it in a 78 camaro, it was what I added after the stroke kit, overbore, heads, cam, stall, weight reduction and a few other things didn't make it fast enough anymore.
    Not a road I will go back down, but it gets the job done.
    Whatever you do: research it first.
    im a newbie so what are bolt ons? and what are some cali smog legal cam/heads set ups? ANd how do I post pics of my camaro?

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Might want to check the site out some. There are alot of stickies here that have alot the answers already.

The complete bolt on list....

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Like said, you can find all the bolt-ons in the stickies at the tops of the pages. As for california legal, use the search function. From what I know on here, california is very restrictive. Like said: research.

Thread Information