Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Weight Deduction

This is a discussion on Weight Deduction within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by pajeff02 The entire system weighs in around 8-10 lbs. You have the intake hose, air pump, pump ...

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The entire system weighs in around 8-10 lbs. You have the intake hose, air pump, pump bracket, studs, output hose, diverter valve, feed hoses, vacuum solenoid, check valves, and manifold piping that can all be removed.
    You are correct sir, I pulled all of that off and weighed it. I think it came in at 8 or 9 lbs. I wrote it down but don't have it in front of me.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Faught View Post
    i dont have anything to add but you want a weight reduction not DEduction lol

Deduction = Subtraction. Same thing.

white
    1999 Trans Am

Deduction = Subtraction. Same thing.
    yaaaa it can be used that way kinda stretches the definition lol

Acid dipping was a big thing among the factory racers back in the 60's.

That same principle is used in F.A.S.T. racing today. They acid dip their chrome bumpers before plating. They may do some of the sheetmetal too, not sure but it wouldn't surprise me.

This class also does alot of extrude honing of the stock engine parts. Since factory manifolds have to be used, and you can't really port inside of them unless they are cut apart, they resorted to extrude honing the factory manifolds, even intakes and heads in some cases.
    Not only is this done for a HP advantage, but it also removes a ton of weight, especially from heavy cast iron exhaust manifolds.

I am fixing to get some of this done on my current project,,,shhhh

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

You should take him anyways. you got a full mod list, and he's heavier. Spend your time practicing a launch.

Firebirdjones, don't stop now....

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    You should take him anyways. you got a full mod list, and he's heavier. Spend your time practicing a launch.

Pewter
    99 z28

I'm seeing some good stuff, I like the front sway bar idea I think i might do this tonight. One question if I remove it I wont have to realign the front will I?? I wouldn't think it would throw my alignment off wack but never know.

Pewter
    99 z28

I hope so. I know he's a couple hundred lbs heavier but he isn't bone stock. its basically got my mod list, intake, exhaust, tune, gears. stock 275s. a gto on street tires should spin espec with shorter rear gears and the shorter t56 tranny gears they come with.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by DVrec21 View Post
    I'm seeing some good stuff, I like the front sway bar idea I think i might do this tonight. One question if I remove it I wont have to realign the front will I?? I wouldn't think it would throw my alignment off wack but never know.
    where in PA are you located? Cold roads = no traction

Quote Originally Posted by DVrec21 View Post
    Nope, the sway bar doesn't affect suspension geometry in any way. You can simply remove the links in a few minutes just to see if you like the feel before you remove the whole bar. Saves a little time just in case you want to hook it back up.

Or do the trick I suggested, it works beautiful with weight transfer, yet the links are still attached so you still have the twisting motion of the bar to limit roll to a certain extent. I find it drives fine on the street, been that way for years.

I've got more tricks, I just don't want to give away all my secrets

Black
    1993 Camaro Z28

You better hope he's not running some sort of drag radial. Who ever comes out of the hole first, without missing a shift, will probably win. I am able to run on the street and track with out spare and jack, no sway bar, EGR deleted, 1/4 tank of gas, air conditioner delete (TPIS), smaller 245's up front with rear street tires and manage to learn "How" to drive it best, from a dig. Stumped many running low 13's with my '93 LT1 with street tires. Friendly race, just do it- nothing to lose. Money race, better practice your launch to find out how hard you can leave without spinning.....
    1993 Black Camaro Z28 LT-Won

Black
    1993 Camaro Z28

.....hey, let us know. Pics or vid. or it never happened.....

red
    99 camaro

OP figure out where the race is going to happen, street, track. If on street go pick out your starting line and lane then practice. At worst he will do the same then it makes it even.

Pewter
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by joedude02 View Post
    A.I.R. delete? weighs like a pound or two, that's a start. maybe even unbolt your front sway bar for better weight transfer on the lift to help minimize wheel hop or just take it off....

always felt a difference after a fresh oil change and rear end oil change, so definitely change some fluids. although there is debate on which is better or more durable using regular or synthetic gear oil. i'll stop before i go too far off topic. google is your friend and use the search on this site because there is some great info here.
    Not sure what brand gear oil I'm running. The guy I bought my 3.73 10 bolt from had just topped off the fluid. I put Mobil 1 Synthetic in my LS1 about 1,500 miles ago. So im good there. I'm swapping axle-backs tomorrow, finally removing the stock axle back and putting on a slp lm1. should flow a little better hopefully pick up a few hp from that.

Pewter
    99 z28

We ended up not runnin last saturday due to me being sick all week and him being busy anyways. will probably runnn next sat.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    This class also does alot of extrude honing of the stock engine parts. Since factory manifolds have to be used, and you can't really port inside of them unless they are cut apart, they resorted to extrude honing the factory manifolds, even intakes and heads in some cases.
    Not only is this done for a HP advantage, but it also removes a ton of weight, especially from heavy cast iron exhaust manifolds.

FBJ - I am sticking with the factory exhaust manifolds on our Olds W-31 project. I have considered having them extrude honed, but do not have any experience with this process. Any recommendations or companies that you would trust?

FBJ - I am sticking with the factory exhaust manifolds on our Olds W-31 project. I have considered having them extrude honed, but do not have any experience with this process. Any recommendations or companies that you would trust?

Yes, I've used Kennametal a couple times. I'd post a link but I don't think I can do that, I don't want to get on anyones bad side

Very easy to google though. They have locations all over the country, even one in PA where you are I believe.
    What I do is port match everything first, glass bead the parts, then send them off for extrude honing. Looks beautiful when they come back.

Edit: W31??? Sounds interesting. Are you shooting for the pure stock or FAST class racing??

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We'll run it at vintage events most likely and maybe even a few times in the Friday Night Street Race series at the local track.

We'll run it at vintage events most likely and maybe even a few times in the Friday Night Street Race series at the local track.
    Very cool. I ran our 70 formula in pure stock up until the early to mid 90's. Then just vintage events like you mention ever since.
    Not much else I get any more of a thrill from than to take a stock looking car and whip the pants off of modified stuff with slicks, and do it on bias ply tires I'm wanting to get back into pure stock or FAST, and rather than go through the bird again for more tricks to make it competetive, I'm doing an SCJ stang specifically for the class. I never did get that serious with the bird, as it was also a driver at the time. I'm putting more effort in the SCJ just to see how fast I can make it go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information