Weather stripping

This is a discussion on Weather stripping within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; My question is about weather stirpping. Does anyone else have problems with the weather strips on the driver and passenger ...

Pewter
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS

Weather stripping

My question is about weather stirpping. Does anyone else have problems with the weather strips on the driver and passenger doors? When I wash my car a car wash with pressure hose, water enters betweens the windows and the strips down the inside of the windows, doors and seats.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Mine does that. Only on the driver side. I can see that the rear corner weather stripping is slightly mis-shapen. Also, at the front of the driver's door, when the window is rolled all the way up, it doesn't seal completely, so water gets in just above the side mirror, as well. Mine is also a vert, for whatever that's worth.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

I had the same problem with my car. Have you tried getting the window aligned? It didn't fix mine because my problem was due to the previous owner wiring in a lighting kit under the windshield wiper trim and the driver trim. Another member on here told me to spray all the trim with lithium grease to puff up the trim b/c it gets brittle over time. Silicone spray works good to. If that doesn't solve it, I called over at Graham's Camaro in Calera AL and he got my weather stripping much cheaper. Here's a link if you need it. Good luck!!http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...d.205-668-1169

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by transamgirl89 View Post
    I had the same problem with my car. Have you tried getting the window aligned? It didn't fix mine because my problem was due to the previous owner wiring in a lighting kit under the windshield wiper trim and the driver trim. Another member on here told me to spray all the trim with lithium grease to puff up the trim b/c it gets brittle over time. Silicone spray works good to. If that doesn't solve it, I called over at Graham's Camaro in Calera AL and he got my weather stripping much cheaper. Here's a link if you need it. Good luck!!http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...d.205-668-1169

+1 on silicone spray. I understand that GM also has a weatherstrip conditioner that has been mentioned before on here. We get a little trail here and there when we wash the car, but it has never leaked the two times the car has seen rain since we bought it.

Pewter
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by transamgirl89 View Post
    Thanks for the great ways to fix, I'll give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    +1 on silicone spray. I understand that GM also has a weatherstrip conditioner that has been mentioned before on here. We get a little trail here and there when we wash the car, but it has never leaked the two times the car has seen rain since we bought it.
    I dont just get a "little trail" I get a water fall coming from the driverside windowon to or three spots between the window and the weather strip.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by SS201 View Post
    I dont just get a "little trail" I get a water fall coming from the driverside windowon to or three spots between the window and the weather strip.
    Sounds like an adjustment is in order -- I haven't had to play with my doors yet, so I am not sure what you need to do. I will recommened that you mark your current adjustment locations before moving things. Usually, there will be a witness mark in the panel already, but this way you know for sure. Any idea if you have to raise it, tip it in, or tilt it for better contact?

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28 vert

mine is a vert it leaks at the top sorner of the drivers side it needs to be tilted in and it leaks near the mirrors probably needs weather strippin to stop the drip but i would definatley start with the silicone

Pewter
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS

Sounds like an adjustment is in order -- I haven't had to play with my doors yet, so I am not sure what you need to do. I will recommened that you mark your current adjustment locations before moving things. Usually, there will be a witness mark in the panel already, but this way you know for sure. Any idea if you have to raise it, tip it in, or tilt it for better contact?
    I never have messed around with the windows, but i do know that when I was in Iraq m wife had to replace the motor. Now that I think about it, it started leaking after that. So Ibet it was not put back in alignment where it should be.

How easy is it to align the window back?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I never have messed around with the windows, but i do know that when I was in Iraq m wife had to replace the motor. Now that I think about it, it started leaking after that. So Ibet it was not put back in alignment where it should be.

How easy is it to align the window back?
    Can't help you with that one as I haven't had our doors apart -- yet.

On other cars, there are always adjustments on the tracks that tilt them in or out, adjustments at the top and bottom for travel, and adjustments on the door glass to tip it. Once you get the door panel off, you should be able to see these pretty easily.

Pewter
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS

Can't help you with that one as I haven't had our doors apart -- yet.

On other cars, there are always adjustments on the tracks that tilt them in or out, adjustments at the top and bottom for travel, and adjustments on the door glass to tip it. Once you get the door panel off, you should be able to see these pretty easily.
    Sweet I will give it a try this weekend! I hope this solutions my problem!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sweet I will give it a try this weekend! I hope this solutions my problem!

If you run into a problem, shoot me a PM. I have the 2002 factory service manual and can give you an assist.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

The weather stripping on my driver's window came off yesterday! The adhesive is no good anymore... anyone had this happen before? What did you use to put it back on?

Thread Information