Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    98 Z28

Want louder exhaust!

I have had my Hooker Cat-back on the Z for about 3 years now. I like the sound but now i want something louder. The thing is I dont want to buy a new system. What replacement muffler can i swap with the Hooker? No flowmaster, Cut-out or anything illegal. Can i swap a lound mouth muffler or what ever you call that small bullet. I live in Cali so i have to get my car smoged all the time thank you.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

I have a Loud Mouth and it is too damn raspy. Gonna swap in a Borla XR1 race muffler for the rasp. Gotta love l/t's, no cats, and a loud mouth.

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

it would be pretty much impossible to swap a bullet muffler there. you can either get a new exhaust..or somethign illegal like headers...can't have your cake and eat it too.

I have Hooker LTs with matching ory pipe an Borla an even with the smallest opening plate its damn loud.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Its never enough with muscle cars they always have to be louder, faster, better.....I personally am put 50-state street legal short headers and borla exhaust on my Z I don't know how it will sound. Hey you could always just get a cut off for a Y-pipe.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Gut the cats!

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

lm1 = no muffler at all just a steel pipe with a chamber dosen't get much louder than this. oh yea, cut outs or wide open

Fairies Drive Imports camaro_five0's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

LTs and either Loudmouth or chambered exhaust is the loudest I've heard so far (keeping it legal..).

Crinkle, Crinkle

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Fart Pipes for Chevy

I've got mid-length Mac headers, catalytic converters, and a LoudMouth catback with the little chamber.

It's obnoxiously loud, raspy, brappy, and reverbrates the interior so that anything that isn't welded on hums and buzzes. Keeping up with traffic requires so much noise that it sounds like you're getting on it. Since it's a single exhaust, it's not much of a muscle car sound, etiher. I'll be taming it with a LM2 glass pack, I'm not looking forward to much relief. I might have to make my own bullet resonators for the tailpipes to get the high frequency noise out and get the pitch lower. It looks like that's the only way to fit anything in there without ditching the whole cat back system. The car is lowered so it looks like there's no way to put anything else under there without dragging or hitting the floor. And I can't find anything off the shelf that will fit after the axle.

What I'd like to get is the muscle car tone you get with headers and dual exhaust, like on every other muscle car I've ever had. But you can't really get that with single exhaust.

--97T--

loudmouths sound like shit with headers and no cats.

millenium yellow
    2002 corvette Z06

id get some LT's and pick up about 20hp and install a cut-out......

it will be LOUD!
    315rwhp 98 SILVER Z28 (3500lbs)- SOLD
    400rwhp 99 HUGGER SS (3375lbs)- SOLD
    340rwhp 02 YELLOW Z06 (3040lbs)

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by NinerSevenTango
    What I'd like to get is the muscle car tone you get with headers and dual exhaust, like on every other muscle car I've ever had. But you can't really get that with single exhaust.

--97T--
    Single exhaust has nothing to do with it. Listen to an LT1 with a loudmouth someday and you'll know what I mean. Your LS1 will just never sound like your old school mucsle cars did.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I'v got lt's ory and i was lookin for a catback bc i didnt wanna spend 700.00 for a gmmg. But if ya got the cash i heard a z28 the other day with stock manifolds and cats and it sounded mean. I went too a friend of mine and he reccomended flopro over flowmaster and he showed me a cut-out of the mufflers and i saw a big diff. I would stay away from flowmaster.
    just my opin
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Red
    1998 Z28 6-speed

i have the flowmasters on my car, i have no idea what series it is or anything but i like the way they sound. its not super loud but u can definentally hear it and it has a great tone. sounds kinda shitty on a quick decel from high rpm tho. does the L/M system really sound that good with stock manifolds and cats? and if it does, will i see a performance difference over the flowmasters?

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

check out ls1sounds.com I Like the loudmouth on the stock manifolds and y but i also think "the louder the better"
    As far as performance gains i really doubt you will get a noticeable difference

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

u want loud

U WANT LOUD!

LT's + LM 1

my bro has true duel flowmasters dumped right under the seats, my god is that fuh ker loud as hell and badass sounding, sets off alarms idling through parkin lots, oh yea...forgot to mention its a '68 ss camaro....and yes...you are right, you will never get that classic "muscle" car sound out of any car nowdays

Crinkle, Crinkle

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

I went ahead and put a LoudMouth 2 glass pack in there.

It toned it down a whole bunch, still sounds loud at full throttle. At least I can use the radio now and I don't have to worry about getting ticketed for it as long as I de-throttle when going past cops.

But it will always sound like a single exhaust with a glass pack as long as it is a single exhaust with a glass pack.

For that matter, it won't sound like a classic muscle car as long as it has single exhaust.

My personal theory is that they might have sold more of these cars if they had designed them with true dual over the axle exhaust. And I think the aftermarket companies are selling a lot of systems as people try different ones, trying for a sound that doesn't sound like a single exhaust.

Running single exhaust probably helps performance. But it runs a higher note than duals. Nothing beats the thunder sound of that stereo rumbling, and the ear can always tell.

By the way, the loudmouth 1 is brappy and raspy because the 'resonator' is nothing more than an expanded piece of pipe. Nothing in it.

--97T--

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

It will never sound like a classic mucsle car period. The Y pipe set up isn't the issue, the LS1 just will never sound that way. Go listen to an LT1 with an aftermarket catback. That right there is one of the nastiest soundin cars. (does it with a Y pipe)

black
    2002 z-28

i am looking to do exhaust on my car i have an 02 z28, i had a 98 z and on that car i had a y-pipe and no cats with flowmaster, sounded good, but i was looking to do loudmouth 2 with y pipe and no cats on this one but dont want to be too loud what are some opinions?

Thread Information