black
    2004 gto

v6 swap......HELP PLZZZZZZZZ

i just picked up a 1996 camaro rs i want to put a lt1 or ls1 wich ever is easier to put in it .... so my question what engine what kind of car or truck to pull one out of wat all will i need fule pump water pump etc. and is there any wright ups on this like some decent instructions it is a manual will i haft to switch trans ... should i pull the engine from the top or bottom plz help

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

It's easier to buy a V8 car than try an convert a V6 car. This is due the differences in the wiring harness, PCM and various suspension components.

If you're dead set on doing this then you'd be best off buying a salvaged (or other suitable) V8 car and swapping things as needed.

I see "Bremen" as a location. Are you located in Germany?
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

white
    1999 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by burnsxxxls1 View Post
    i just picked up a 1996 camaro rs i want to put a lt1 or ls1 wich ever is easier to put in it .... so my question what engine what kind of car or truck to pull one out of wat all will i need fule pump water pump etc. and is there any wright ups on this like some decent instructions it is a manual will i haft to switch trans ... should i pull the engine from the top or bottom plz help
    Its crazy what you have to do to convert a v6 to a v8. i would personally go with the ls1 its more efficient and there are alot more performance parts out there for them. it does make more sense just to buy a v8. if you are dead set on doing this with about 7000$ you need the engine i would go to a salvage yard find one with transmission Manuel or auto what ever you prefer. i used to work for a salvage yard, one like that will cost you around 3000 for about 110,000 on the engine.then you need the wiring harness thats about 1500$ then you need new supseion to compensate for the extra weight, new radiator, probably new calipers and brake roaters,new fuel pump,if you want new gauges for a ss or z28.thats just of the top of my mind it will cost alot of money but it can be done. if you do,do it go threw the bottom of the car.

black
    2004 gto

nah i live in the united states ..... never new it was so complicated be cheaper to just buy a v8 car then

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by burnsxxxls1 View Post
    nah i live in the united states ..... never new it was so complicated be cheaper to just buy a v8 car then
    Georgia?

FWIW, old school cars are a piece of cake to swap engines. Even 3rd gens it's fairly straight forward. It's the OBDI and OBDII cars where it became a PITA to do. Mind you it can be done but it's a lot more involved.

And if you're gonna do a 4th gen do an LS1. Greater availability of parts and much easier to tune (computer wise). If you can afford it do an 01 or 02 as they are the best of them all (parts wise - no EGR and LS6 intake, best factory exhaust, etc).

And if you do an LT1 car do a 96 or 97 as they are OBDII.

Thread Information