Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Turbo or Performance kit? Or something else...

I am starting to save up some money to add some major horsepower to my 2000 SS, and I just wanted to get some input to see what would give me the best bang for my buck. I would looove to turbo-charge it, but i also came across a few stage 3 performance packs that didn't look too bad. I don't want to replace the stock hood, so is super-charging an option? There's not much room under there...also, what are some cheaper things i could do to gain some minimal power as well? Thanks ahead of time.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Prochargers and Vortechs clear the stock hood. As far as the question about turbo vs. heads/cam its a personal preference and what you want out of the car. Forced induction is probably more of a money pit than heads/cam route though. Whatever you do, pick a route and build towards that final goal, don't just buy mods without thinking things through.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

^^
    +1.
    also, a supercharger system will be alittle more cost efficient than a whole turbo system. but its pick your poison really. i am not a big fan of the sts remote systems because IMO it is too long of a route from the compressor to the intercooler and back into the intake and back out to the turbine. just seems like too many things could go wrong.
    but...
    my vote goes to the head/cams combo. you can make serious power naturally aspirated and still have a somewhat streetable car, although the bigger the cam the less streetable it will become. there is always room for improvement with an n/a set up.
    nitrous is probably the easiest of the power adders to obtain and install. just make sure you have a good tune and you shouldnt have to change anything internally depending upon the shot.
    most all f bodies use a centrifugal supercharger which just mounts to the block via a bracket and doesnt affect clearance. the only time you would have to buy a new hood is when using a roots blower because it mounts on top of the intake. i figure if you want to run a good amount of psi on either a supercharger or especially a turbo, you should get lower comp pistons and a smaller cam anyway, so why not just swap cams, swap heads, get a tune and get over 400 hp naturally aspirated. hell, you could always spray it and depending upon the final compression you may be able to run a blower at low psi for an added kick.....maybe. either way its a good deal.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

y2kpewter I have seen you in tulsa, i work on 53rd & Lewis, my car's always parked on the side of the street. I passed you one day and thought your car looked familiar, because i had seen it on here before. That's a good looking car. Oh, and thanks for the reply(2ndgearscratch as well). I guess the only reason i would want a turbo is for that blow-off valve sound...love it. But, if staying n/a keeps me from the money pit, then i should probly do the cam/head stuff. Having a turbo or supercharged camaro ss as a daily driver probably wouldn't be the smartest thing to do anyway. I've got a year of saving to do, so there's no rush on deciding.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang=Breakfast View Post
    y2kpewter I have seen you in tulsa, i work on 53rd & Lewis, my car's always parked on the side of the street. I passed you one day and thought your car looked familiar, because i had seen it on here before. That's a good looking car. Oh, and thanks for the reply(2ndgearscratch as well). I guess the only reason i would want a turbo is for that blow-off valve sound...love it. But, if staying n/a keeps me from the money pit, then i should probly do the cam/head stuff. Having a turbo or supercharged camaro ss as a daily driver probably wouldn't be the smartest thing to do anyway. I've got a year of saving to do, so there's no rush on deciding.
    no problem...

the sweet thing about staying n/a is you can piece your car together as you go and as your funds allow you to. cant really buy half a turbo system knowwhatimean!

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

I know exactly what you mean. I am for sure going to buy a new lid for my ram air though. Can't go wrong with that. SLP or Whisper? Or is there something better out there...? Man, I got too many questions...gotta start doing some research on this stuff. I used to have an 88 Supra, so i know quite a bit about them, but I don't know jack about 'Maro's except that they reek of AWESOMENESS!

SSweet Home Chicago!!! BlankinSShip's Avatar

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

More Questions...

I have an 01 SS and after reading all of this thread it gets me thinkin about doing the cam/head idea to mine... I already have all the standard intake mods, loud mouth exhaust and a performance y-pipe... I am looking into Headers, heads, and a cam...

Anyone know what that will end up costing me and if I should go headers first the new cam or what?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Thank you and I know exactly where you work. I see your white SS there just about every morning. You wouldn't happen to be the gentleman in the white SS that leaned out his window at 91st and Lewis one nice afternoon to let me know I had nice wheels are ya ?

We will have to meet up sometime soon, Preston here or most people just call me P but very nice to meet you

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BlankinSShip View Post
    I have an 01 SS and after reading all of this thread it gets me thinkin about doing the cam/head idea to mine... I already have all the standard intake mods, loud mouth exhaust and a performance y-pipe... I am looking into Headers, heads, and a cam...

Anyone know what that will end up costing me and if I should go headers first the new cam or what?
    Headers should really come before a cam. Long tubes allow you to see the full gains of a cam. If you put a cam in on stock manifolds, the stockers don't allow enough for the exhausts.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Big gains are going to cost big money. Make sure the rest of the car is up to snuff before you plunge head first into some major power. When you plan out the cost of something such as turbo or nitrous or just a bunch of bolt ons remember the weak 10 bolt or the clutch etc. Plan ahead.

SSweet Home Chicago!!! BlankinSShip's Avatar

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Thanks guys... For now, If I bought ome Hooker long tubes it will be okay for the car right? The cam wont be for a long time...

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by BlankinSShip View Post
    Thanks guys... For now, If I bought ome Hooker long tubes it will be okay for the car right? The cam wont be for a long time...
    hookers are fine (ha ha). longtubes are longtubes and im glad you didnt opt for the slp ones. they are pretty darn crappy IMO.
    oh great intentions, ive got the best of interventions...

Missouri and Central IL members come in!!!!!
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48861

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Thank you and I know exactly where you work. I see your white SS there just about every morning. You wouldn't happen to be the gentleman in the white SS that leaned out his window at 91st and Lewis one nice afternoon to let me know I had nice wheels are ya ?

We will have to meet up sometime soon, Preston here or most people just call me P but very nice to meet you
    I'm not sure if that was me or not, but I do like your wheels a lot. I've been wanting to get some similar to those, but I don't want to get rid of my ZR-1's. So I'm just going to settle with new center caps. I may be in town on Friday night, my friend wants to go "drifting" in his 240sx.....I'm going to drive up in the SS though because his car is too slow for my taste. We'll have to meet up then or something. Also, I really like the black piece under the wing on your car...is that vinyl, painted, or what?.....Hold up, I just remembered, my friend with the 240 was the one who leaned out of the car, he's a moron, but we did agree that your wheels are awesome.
    Last edited by Y2KArcticSS; 04-30-2007 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Remembered something

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I'm not sure if that was me or not, but I do like your wheels a lot. I've been wanting to get some similar to those, but I don't want to get rid of my ZR-1's. So I'm just going to settle with new center caps. I may be in town on Friday night, my friend wants to go "drifting" in his 240sx.....I'm going to drive up in the SS though because his car is too slow for my taste. We'll have to meet up then or something. Also, I really like the black piece under the wing on your car...is that vinyl, painted, or what?.....Hold up, I just remembered, my friend with the 240 was the one who leaned out of the car, he's a moron, but we did agree that your wheels are awesome.
    Small world

The black piece under my wing is painted flat black and is referred to as the "Berger panel mod".

Your friend isn't a moron, it was quite flattering to be honest

SSMOKIN_SS
    Turbos are for those who don't know how to build engines. You can gain more than enough power without having forced induction.

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Y2KPewterSS those wheels are indeed awsome, they make the car look soo much better..Are they iforged or ccw's?....And if u dont mind me askin how much were they and where did u get them from?

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Oh and mustan=breakfast..I agree with you on the sweet sweet sound of a blow off but IMO building it naturally aspirated would be more rewarding and better for your pockets in the long run.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by sskid View Post
    Y2KPewterSS those wheels are indeed awsome, they make the car look soo much better..Are they iforged or ccw's?....And if u dont mind me askin how much were they and where did u get them from?
    he'll have to answer the rest but they are ccw's for sure/ click on his link in his signature to see pics....

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by sskid View Post
    CCW SP500s, wheels and tires were $4000

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    CCW SP500s, wheels and tires were $4000
    youre here and now youre gone......

are you over at tech my friend?

Thread Information