Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Unhappy Trans, motor or torque arm?

Here's the deal. For a while I have noticed the shifter really moving around while driving. It will go up and down over bumps and move hard to the right when I stomp it. I figured the trans mount was shot. I put a poly one in and all was well except for more noise which was fine, I expected it. So I bought a parts store rubber one for a lt1 car (ls1 not listed) and swapped it in. The first few blocks it was fine, REAL SMOOTH. Til I goosed it one time and heard what sounded like the u-joint popping against the tunnel. I pulled it and replaced the poly one back in its place and as I figured the rubber one came apart. So I 'm back to square one now. I have the poly one back in and I think all is well when today coming home from work a Stang was approaching so I nailed it in 2nd around 3300 rpm or so ( it was in town) and there it was again (thump-thump-thump-thump) real fast like. Just like when the rubber mount went. My question is when I drive normal it's fine. And when I tromp it it makes noises. How do I know if motor mounts are gone? And the torque arm too? The odometer shows 130k and it has had the engine replaced at least I think it has. It has center-bolt heads and no egr. I thought 2000 and up motors had no egr. Anyway what are your thoughts.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

i had almost the same problem. when i floored it, i would hear a knock and my shifter would pop up like 3 inches. it ended up being a broken tranny cross member.I was a really small break, but once i replaced it with a BMR tubular one the problem was gone. good luck

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Torque Arm bushing is cheap to replace.. its just a bitch doing it. What kind of poly mount did you get? Energy Suspension or Prothane? Im at 156k and I know for a fact those u-joints/bushings/etc get wore out. Pick up a set of lakewoods and install them IMO.

EGR was probably removed. I removed mine right away.

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    i had almost the same problem. when i floored it, i would hear a knock and my shifter would pop up like 3 inches. it ended up being a broken tranny cross member.I was a really small break, but once i replaced it with a BMR tubular one the problem was gone. good luck
    Crossmember is fine. Torque arm bushing does look worn. I have an energy suspension tranny mount that I pirated from my small block 79 malibu. The motor mounts are so hard to see and I'm just not sure how to tell they are bad before I dig in to it. The other thing is, I know if the motor mount is bad, even the best tranny mount won't last long.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

a bad motah mount will cause a hard hit everytime you gas it cuz the engine torques. if you have an auto you can brake torque it and feel the motah moving

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Six speed, not auto.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I would get the motor/tranny mount kit from prothane... IMO

Thread Information