Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Traction Control

This is a discussion on Traction Control within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; To FlawlessZ and Racer Rick: We who have ASR know the all too familiar effects of having the ASR "kick ...

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

To FlawlessZ and Racer Rick:
    We who have ASR know the all too familiar effects of having the ASR "kick in" but are a bit perplexed as to how you two know you have ASR with no button to turn it off, as I personally didn't know the factory installed the option without the button, so please descibe the effect you experience when your car(s) let you know they are in "Traction control" mode. Thanks Guys

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Traction control delete

I eliminated my traction control by pulling the ASR fuse, but since the ASR utilizes the ABS to control the rear wheel spin I also eliminated the ABS. This did not matter to me that the ABS is non functional, I have had this set-up for 2 + years and had no problems.

This setup will eliminate all driving aids and will effect your cars safety.

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

acceleration slip regulation = a 450 dollar option when new.god forbid you ever get caught out in the rain these cars get really tricky to control in the ass end so it could save your ass.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by twozs View Post
    acceleration slip regulation = a 450 dollar option when new.god forbid you ever get caught out in the rain these cars get really tricky to control in the ass end so it could save your ass.
    what are you talking about!?... that's the fun part about no Track Control... and specially if you know how to drive like a normal person... there will be no problem with rain...

this said by the man who lives in the tropical island in which is sometimes doesn't stop raining for 3 weeks... and drives his Camaro Daily... with crappy tires...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Keeping your foot out of the throttle works just as well.... I'm absolutly positive your 73 does not have this function. Do you have a problem with it?

FYI: My Z has no ASR (Chevy's name) or TCS (Pontiac's name - it's all the same) and that's the way I like it.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

I Learned to control the throttle by feathering the pedal, I actually enjoy the rain without the ASR. Feathering the gas to compensate for oversteer makes nice long drift like turns without burning my tires up. Also when I get into a risky situation in the dry at higher speeds I can use the wet pratice to keep the ass end stable and bring it back to safe traction smoothly, unlike the ASR which cuts the throttle and applies rear brakes for a jerky recovery. It's all driver preference and how well you know the limits of your car, in my case I find ASR more of a annoyance rather than a safety feature.
    Borla XR-1 energy bushings UMI B&M Spohn suspension techniques eibach edelbroc K&N Richmond Eaton F.A.S.T FlashTuner NGK MSD SLP J&M - I owe it all to my mentor- my dad.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post
    what are you talking about!?... that's the fun part about no Track Control... and specially if you know how to drive like a normal person... there will be no problem with rain...

drives his Camaro Daily... with crappy tires...
    Dido, I now buy used tires for 75 a piece instead of 180 a piece just to burn em up driving my car like it was meant to be driven.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    i didn't know there where ls1 cars without traction control? just to point it out explicitely: in ls1 f-bodys, the tcs is called ASR, right?
    Mine came without it stock from the factory.. I have no TCS/ASR switch... All i have is a switch for the fog lamps.. If you do have it.. you will see some type of module by the A/C Accumlator..

www.rickshotrods.us
    2K TA, 73 TA, & 03 Dak RT

Thanks a bunch Chevypowr. Thats just what I needed. Lets the good times continue to roll.

www.rickshotrods.us
    2K TA, 73 TA, & 03 Dak RT

The traction control option is listed on my window sticker. It cost $450 like everyone else says. When I get on it and the wheels start to spin the gas pedal comes out on its own, engine power is reduced, and I get a light on the dash. The light says LOW TRAC. There is also a dash light that says TCS OFF. That light is on momentarily when first turning the key.

Chevypowr offered the fix I needed. See entry number 22. Thanks a bunch to all of you. Now I can warm my tires at the track and burn them for some great video for my website. Smoke em if ya got em.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Never seen one without the switch...thnx

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

So how did we ever survive before TC? We should all be dead and never have lived to see this dreaded fun eliminator invented. My right foot is my TC, learned how to control my slides growing up driving in the snow. Just wait, soon all cars will have this and also non-defeatable yaw control as well.

Volvo already has an anti DUI option, costs $1100, you have to blow into it before it will allow you to drive the car.

One day they won't even let us drive our own car anymore, just tell it where to go and it will get you there by itself. Hope I am dead before that happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    So how did we ever survive before TC? We should all be dead and never have lived to see this dreaded fun eliminator invented. My right foot is my TC, learned how to control my slides growing up driving in the snow. Just wait, soon all cars will have this and also non-defeatable yaw control as well.

Volvo already has an anti DUI option, costs $1100, you have to blow into it before it will allow you to drive the car.

One day they won't even let us drive our own car anymore, just tell it where to go and it will get you there by itself. Hope I am dead before that happens!
    You sound just like me,,,lol. With 2 4th gens, only one has the traction control,,,along with a switch to turn it off thank god. That is the most annoying piece of gargage ever put on a car.

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Keeping your foot out of the throttle works just as well.... I'm absolutly positive your 73 does not have this function. Do you have a problem with it?

FYI: My Z has no ASR (Chevy's name) or TCS (Pontiac's name - it's all the same) and that's the way I like it.
    for one the 73 NEVER plays in the rain and as far as driving the car "the way it was meant to be driven" i pushed the car so hard it broke the flex plate at the converter mounting points and tore the starter up in the proses.(1400 dollars worth of damage but covered under the extended warranty after lots of shouting back and forth with accusations of abuse) i also ran a 13.2 @106 at englishtown with just a flow pac and a loudmouth on the beat up original tires (RSAs) with a 2 flat 60' time with 2.73s. my asr is off 98% of the time just in case anyone want to fool around.anyway ,just tired of breaking costly parts . now my rear is making noises and my warranty expires in 2 months. drive the way you want in the rain who cares

Red
    2003 Santa Fe

TCS isnt to great if you wantta have a little fun

black trans am

ok tcs in a t/a and in an marow are the same thing if u have a tcs off light and u do nit have a botten.... is it possalbe that some one swiched parts from a non tcs car on to ur car being in a t/a guy i dont know where that tcs is on a marow.... why dont u look on the door and see if u have the code for tcs.... if u do the find out what is missing.. as far as i know no f-body has tcs and no way to trun it off.... if u look under ur hood u throttle cable will go over to a lil box by the batt and then over to the the throttle body .. that if u have tcs on ur car!!!

White and Orange
    1997 Z/28

my 97 Z has tcs and i hate it. it stays off.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89 View Post
    ok tcs in a t/a and in an marow are the same thing if u have a tcs off light and u do nit have a botten.... is it possalbe that some one swiched parts from a non tcs car on to ur car being in a t/a guy i dont know where that tcs is on a marow.... why dont u look on the door and see if u have the code for tcs.... if u do the find out what is missing.. as far as i know no f-body has tcs and no way to trun it off.... if u look under ur hood u throttle cable will go over to a lil box by the batt and then over to the the throttle body .. that if u have tcs on ur car!!!
    did u fale at grammar an splln in skool.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Racer Rick View Post
    Thanks a bunch Chevypowr. Thats just what I needed. Lets the good times continue to roll.

Your welcome Rick!! Glad to hear more people than me think ASR Is useless!!!

I have a video I made for your website, heres the link you might have to copy and paste it into our address bar

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...58170198&hl=en

here is the same video from a different angle
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...51292970199190
    Last edited by Chevypowr; 02-08-2008 at 06:43 PM. Reason: link

White
    2001 Camaro SS

my buddy has the traction control button in his 01 ss but i don't in my 01 ss. i took my dash apart and i have the wiring for it though. anyone know if i got the button if the tranction control would work? (not that i would use it most of the time anyways...what's the fun in that?)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information