Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Totaled Car

Silver and Black
    1998 Z/28

Unhappy Totaled Car

Hey Guys,

It looks like I totaled my car today! Thank God I'm alright, and no other vehicles where involved. It had just started raining, and I was leaving town. I was going 55-60 and I hit a slick spot in the road. The car got loose, the rear end swung right, then left, and then hooked.. this is the end result...

While I'm here, is anyone selling a LS1 Camaro in the Houston area? I think I'll try an automatic this time around... lol
    Last edited by desliger; 04-19-2007 at 06:53 AM.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Quote Originally Posted by desliger View Post
    Hey Guys,

It looks like I totaled my car today! Thank God I'm alright, and no other vehicles where involved. It had just started raining, and I was leaving town. I was going 55-60 and I hit a slick spot in the road. The car got loose, the rear end swung right, then left, and then hooked.. this is the end result...

While I'm here, is anyone selling a LS1 Camaro in the Houston area? I think I'll try an automatic this time around... lol

Hey buddy i feel your pain!! I just totaled my car last night. slick spot possibly icy. i will post a thread about it i got TONS of pics.
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Hey Guys,

it was just rain dude, wtf? how can this happen,, was there a lot of water on the roads? u were hydroplane-ing?

Silver and Black
    1998 Z/28

That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that man... I hope everything is ok.. (I'll watch for the thread)

R.I.P. Camaro's

what mods u had on it.. part it out, get some money off the parts..
    can you see if the amber lights (DRL bulbs) are good? send me those if you got them..
    they should match TA ones eh?

Silver and Black
    1998 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    it was just rain dude, wtf? how can this happen,, was there a lot of water on the roads? u were hydroplane-ing?
    It had just started raining, so the roads where pretty slick. I was accelerating up a hill, I was accelerating steadily, and I wasn't shifting gears or changing lanes.. I have no idea how it happened...My tires aren't bald, but they are close to being bald.. that and 9.5" wheels, I'm guessing it was hydroplaning.. the rear end just came out from under me with no warning...

TCS kicked in, locked the wheels but unfortunately u were driving next to the road divider and u slammed/drifted into it.

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

Are you gonna buy the car back???

black
    2001 pontiac formula

It's extra slick when it first starts raining cuz it hasnt washed all the oil off the road yet so its like drivin on a ice rink. I saw it on tv so it has to be true.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 01blkformula View Post
    It's extra slick when it first starts raining cuz it hasnt washed all the oil off the road yet so its like drivin on a ice rink. I saw it on tv so it has to be true.
    Yah!! Thats why I don't F-around in the rain!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

dam two people totalled their cars, i had a similar accident as the one in the first post with mine, only took out 3 tires and rims and the rear end tho, no body damage

live and learn, makes you look at life differently how quickly it can be taken away in a split second

true that, I spin one time, my fault, it was a little icy, here in TX we generally don't get that at all, so I was from a stop light I said eeh let me rev it up a little to get going, 2 sec later my TCS locked in and spun 180 crossing 2 lanes, thank god no traffic and car slammed with the tires on on sidewalk edge.. I broke a rocker pannel, which GM sells for 800, but I found one here for 40 bucks, repainted to factory code + 30 bucks to install it, eew.
    I learned my lesson to stay calm and quiet on the road when it's 40F and below or rains heavily.. so I take it easy now..

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

^ thats kinda what happened to me supprisingly my rockers were fine

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Wow, glad you were ok and sorry about your loss as well
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black
    SS 02 6SPD

It had just started raining, so the roads where pretty slick. I was accelerating up a hill, I was accelerating steadily, and I wasn't shifting gears or changing lanes.. I have no idea how it happened...My tires aren't bald, but they are close to being bald.. that and 9.5" wheels, I'm guessing it was hydroplaning.. the rear end just came out from under me with no warning...
    I ran off the road once and spun out once in my 91 RS because of bad tires in the rain. Learned my lesson after the second time, I dont mess with bad tires anymore, they come close to the wear bars and I got new tires...

Bad thing is that wide tires hydroplane easier than narrow ones!

Quote Originally Posted by 01blkformula View Post
    Yes, TRUE...read in NewsWeek!

Quote Originally Posted by kdog78 View Post
    I ran off the road once and spun out once in my 91 RS because of bad tires in the rain. Learned my lesson after the second time, I dont mess with bad tires anymore, they come close to the wear bars and I got new tires...

Bad thing is that wide tires hydroplane easier than narrow ones!

Yes, TRUE...read in NewsWeek!
    check the rating on rains/snow on those tires. it also depends on the wheel base width..if you got
    performance tires it will do pretty poorly on wet and snow no matter what. even if they are brand new, it also depends on the terrain, inclined and enough water.. u gone.. that's why I watch it when I drive in not so good weather conditions. iz ok, a few more months and I make it a weekend/track. then I get to choose dry sunny days to drive it. 90% of times in TX

Black
    SS 02 6SPD

check the rating on rains/snow on those tires. it also depends on the wheel base width..if you got
    performance tires it will do pretty poorly on wet and snow no matter what. even if they are brand new, it also depends on the terrain, inclined and enough water.. u gone.. that's why I watch it when I drive in not so good weather conditions. iz ok, a few more months and I make it a weekend/track. then I get to choose dry sunny days to drive it. 90% of times in TX
    this was a while ago, I believe they were toyo proxies (I dont want to hear it) they were rated very good for rain (live in florida, rains everyday in summer!), they were just "close to bald"...but yes you want to get a good wet rating.

ya, like goodyear f1 are for dry/wet but not for snow/ice.. and this thrus and friday THERE WILL BE A TINY ICE and MAYBE SNOW in TX.. blowing from Rocky Mountains.. uhhh, very not typical for TX so I will leave it home, take wife's SUV

Silver and Black
    1998 Z/28

Hey Guys, I've been shopping a little, and the only f-body I could find is a 2002 silver Trans AM. It's an automatic, 36K miles, leather interior, t-tops, and chrome Z06 wheels. The dealer was asking $17,900, is this a good deal? Maybe I should create another post for this one... Thanks everyone!!

Silver and Black
    1998 Z/28

BTW, here are some more pictures... The adjuster should be out tomorrow to look at it... I'm happy with how well the car held up, the front windshield isn't even cracked, the t-tops are perfect, and the interior still looks like new...
    Last edited by desliger; 12-17-2006 at 05:50 PM.

Thread Information