Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

Took the 02 SS Convertable to the scales today

This is a discussion on Took the 02 SS Convertable to the scales today within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; When you start modding, get rid of the AIR pump and the EGR. This means purchasing race style headers and ...

  1. #21
    Member Huskerz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    47
    Posts
    947

    Black
    99 SS Vert M6

    When you start modding, get rid of the AIR pump and the EGR. This means purchasing race style headers and LS6 intake without EGR provisions. Or you can still get rid of the EGR and AIR with the block off plates on your stock stuff. That AIR pump looks heavy imo. There's a really good write up with pics on getting rid of the AIR on the "other" web site. In the External Engine catergory.

  2. #22
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    I will have to look at the AIR pump, I have Hp tuners coming tomorrow so deleting that stuff should be a breeze now that I can tune it out.
    Mine has the LS6 intake factory so there is not EGR provision on it.

    I just thought of some things to eliminate weight, since I have never been a safety freak and I have the air bags unplugged already,,,why not remove those? I think the passenger side would be a breeze but not sure how to remove the one in the steering wheel while still keeping the stock wheel,,I don't want to replace the steering wheel. I would like to remove them in such a way that they could be reinstalled,,no hacking or butchering.

    Also the ABS brakes are something that does not interest me,,,they are just too damn expensive to repair when something goes wrong, with wheel speed sensors etc...
    I am not interested in removing them as long as they are working, but one of these days something will go wrong with them, at that point I will remove it. Is there a write up somewhere on ABS removal for an F body? I know when I had my Typhoon this was a popular mod, due to the seperate computer controlling the brakes going bad, and new ones were $1,000,,,,so it all just came off. Not sure if an 02 Fbody has a separate control module for the brakes or not? Larry.

  3. #23
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I will have to look at the AIR pump, I have Hp tuners coming tomorrow so deleting that stuff should be a breeze now that I can tune it out.
    Mine has the LS6 intake factory so there is not EGR provision on it.

    I just thought of some things to eliminate weight, since I have never been a safety freak and I have the air bags unplugged already,,,why not remove those? I think the passenger side would be a breeze but not sure how to remove the one in the steering wheel while still keeping the stock wheel,,I don't want to replace the steering wheel. I would like to remove them in such a way that they could be reinstalled,,no hacking or butchering.

    Also the ABS brakes are something that does not interest me,,,they are just too damn expensive to repair when something goes wrong, with wheel speed sensors etc...
    I am not interested in removing them as long as they are working, but one of these days something will go wrong with them, at that point I will remove it. Is there a write up somewhere on ABS removal for an F body? I know when I had my Typhoon this was a popular mod, due to the seperate computer controlling the brakes going bad, and new ones were $1,000,,,,so it all just came off. Not sure if an 02 Fbody has a separate control module for the brakes or not? Larry.
    I understand that you want to remove weight from your F-Body, but beleive me, when I was in an accident in my F-Body, I wish that my airbag had deployed.
    I had my jaw wired shut for a month and a half and could only eat liquid through a straw because my jaw slammed the steering wheel.
    Try to cut out weight in different areas.

  4. #24
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Sorry to hear that, but I don't like the idea of something blowing up in my face. Every car I have owned with air bags, the first thing I have done is unplug those things. My aunt had her jaw wired shut as well,,,because a shopping car bump her car and deployed the bag,,,sheeesh smacked her right in the face and broke her jaw,,,,,,no thanks.

    I have relied on seat belts for over 30 years and I'm still kickin' Thats all I need. Larry.

  5. #25
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Sorry to hear that, but I don't like the idea of something blowing up in my face. Every car I have owned with air bags, the first thing I have done is unplug those things. My aunt had her jaw wired shut as well,,,because a shopping car bump her car and deployed the bag,,,sheeesh smacked her right in the face and broke her jaw,,,,,,no thanks.

    I have relied on seat belts for over 30 years and I'm still kickin' Thats all I need. Larry.
    A shopping cart! Thats crazy!

  6. #26
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Ya probably a freak thing, but she has been scared to death of air bags ever since. My wife was sitting in the back seat until I disabled them,,,lol.

  7. #27
    Super Sporting It Chevypowr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    Posts
    150

    Black
    1999 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yes the 02 is an auto, the 97 is a 6 speed. I have had both trannys out of both cars recently, a clutch change on the 97,,and had to pull the trans on the 02 for a rear main seal leak.
    I have to say there isn't too much difference between the 2 as far as weight. That 6 speed is a mammoth. A far cry from my muncie days when you could simply lay a muncie on your chest and shove it home. That 6 speed is pretty darn heavy,,,I would have to say the auto is a little heavier,,but not 70 lbs.
    I think I am getting the extra 70 from alot of little things, the wheels, the trans, and probably a couple things I am missing. But I would have thought the aluminum block compared to cast iron block would have made up the difference. The 97 has a steel driveshaft while the 02 is aluminum so the 02 has that in it's favor as well,,,it's odd to me.

    Thanks for the lightening tips. I planned on a converter sometime in the future but I'm in no hurry. That would also be a huge reciprocating weight reduction as well and should help the engine accelerate faster. I want to baseline the car first stock, and then some simple bolt ons before I get serious with it.
    I can't do the cat back though, car already has the center outlet exhaust with SLP's muffler and I-pipe and I don't want to mess with that.
    I will dig into the spare this weekend and see what's up with it. If it's a space saver I will probably stick it on the shelf,,,I never run those things on a car anyway,,,even if I had a flat I would just call the wife to bring the truck and trailer. No sense in keeping dead weight if I don't use it.
    Thanks for reminding me,,,that thing is so well hidden out of sight I forgot all about it. Larry.

    93-97 had metal doors and front quarters, hood ect.
    98-02 plastic doors, front end.

    Thats weight saving right there
    Last edited by Chevypowr; 03-15-2007 at 07:58 AM.
    Borla XR-1 energy bushings UMI B&M Spohn suspension techniques eibach edelbroc K&N Richmond Eaton F.A.S.T FlashTuner NGK MSD SLP J&M - I owe it all to my mentor- my dad.

  8. #28
    Super Sporting It Chevypowr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    Posts
    150

    Black
    1999 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I will have to look at the AIR pump, I have Hp tuners coming tomorrow so deleting that stuff should be a breeze now that I can tune it out.
    Mine has the LS6 intake factory so there is not EGR provision on it.

    I just thought of some things to eliminate weight, since I have never been a safety freak and I have the air bags unplugged already,,,why not remove those? I think the passenger side would be a breeze but not sure how to remove the one in the steering wheel while still keeping the stock wheel,,I don't want to replace the steering wheel. I would like to remove them in such a way that they could be reinstalled,,no hacking or butchering.

    Also the ABS brakes are something that does not interest me,,,they are just too damn expensive to repair when something goes wrong, with wheel speed sensors etc...
    I am not interested in removing them as long as they are working, but one of these days something will go wrong with them, at that point I will remove it. Is there a write up somewhere on ABS removal for an F body? I know when I had my Typhoon this was a popular mod, due to the seperate computer controlling the brakes going bad, and new ones were $1,000,,,,so it all just came off. Not sure if an 02 Fbody has a separate control module for the brakes or not? Larry.
    I hate the ASR on my 1999 SS, so I pulled the ASR fuse and the abs fuse because they work together for the ASR. My car stops the same except for slamming on the brakes now it doesn't pulsate and will skid if I hold them. The only 2 accidents I have avoided the life of my car where without the ABS and I had to turn while mashing the brakes. I love not having to hit the ASR switch everytime I get in the car, I just feather the gas if it starts to get loose, much more fun!

  9. #29
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by Chevypowr View Post
    93-97 had metal doors and front quarters, hood ect.
    98-02 plastic doors, front end.

    Thats weight saving right there
    93-97 have fiberglass doors, not metal.
    93-97 have plastic fenders, not metal
    93-97 have fiberglass hoods
    98-02 camaro Z28's have metal hoods
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 03-15-2007 at 08:40 AM.

  10. #30
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by Chevypowr View Post
    I hate the ASR on my 1999 SS, so I pulled the ASR fuse and the abs fuse because they work together for the ASR. My car stops the same except for slamming on the brakes now it doesn't pulsate and will skid if I hold them. The only 2 accidents I have avoided the life of my car where without the ABS and I had to turn while mashing the brakes. I love not having to hit the ASR switch everytime I get in the car, I just feather the gas if it starts to get loose, much more fun!
    ABS will control the car better then the driver, when hitting the brakes in a turn. <FACT
    Locking up the brakes to stop requires more distance<FACT

  11. #31
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    That is correct, my 97 has fiberglass door, hood, and front fenders. The only thing metal are the rear quarter panels.
    My 02 also is all fiberglass, including the hood (it's an SS model) So both cars are on the same playing field as far as fiberglass goes. Still the 97 is considerably lighter than my 02.

  12. #32
    Super Sporting It Chevypowr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    Posts
    150

    Black
    1999 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    93-97 have fiberglass doors, not metal.
    93-97 have plastic fenders, not metal
    93-97 have fiberglass hoods
    98-02 camaro Z28's have metal hoods
    right on I knew it was some difference in the years. My 99 SS has plastic doors for sure(dent resistant) <-I found that out the hard way. part metal part fiberglass hood.

  13. #33
    M6 King Hot Black Trans-Am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    5,085
    Blog Entries
    1

    09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    ABS will control the car better then the driver, when hitting the brakes in a turn. <FACT
    Locking up the brakes to stop requires more distance<FACT
    Try hitting the brakes on hard pack snow or ice with ABS and you will not stop for a very long distance, but ABS is better in all other conditions. I've lost funtion of ABS in icy conditions a few times due to the system feaking out and not knowing or being able to function properly. The ABS inop light would come on until I shut the car off and restarted it. I've had to revert to the good old E brake to slow down for corners when coming down hills because of ABS not wanting to slow the car down on icy hills due to the need to lock the wheels up a little for some friction. I'm going to try to wire in an ABS disable switch for winter time driving.

  14. #34
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Try hitting the brakes on hard pack snow or ice with ABS and you will not stop for a very long distance, but ABS is better in all other conditions. I've lost funtion of ABS in icy conditions a few times due to the system feaking out and not knowing or being able to function properly. The ABS inop light would come on until I shut the car off and restarted it. I've had to revert to the good old E brake to slow down for corners when coming down hills because of ABS not wanting to slow the car down on icy hills due to the need to lock the wheels up a little for some friction. I'm going to try to wire in an ABS disable switch for winter time driving.
    Obviously, there is something wrong with your system. I have had 4 other cars with it and never had a problem. I drove my 97"SS" through every season, and it benifited most in the snow. There is no way you are better at controling a skid better than ABS except for in your car which has something wrong with it.

  15. #35
    Super Sporting It Chevypowr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    Posts
    150

    Black
    1999 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    ABS will control the car better then the driver, when hitting the brakes in a turn. <FACT
    Locking up the brakes to stop requires more distance<FACT

    I would't know, I never go into corners that uncontrolled that my wheels lock up, Unless it is an emergency and which I already made it through 2 near T-bones when people cut me off, with out ABS. For some people it will be better, for others that know the limits of their vehicle and aren't afraid to push it might be ok without computer assistance.

  16. #36
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by Chevypowr View Post
    I would't know, I never go into corners that uncontrolled that my wheels lock up, Unless it is an emergency and which I already made it through 2 near T-bones when people cut me off, with out ABS. For some people it will be better, for others that know the limits of their vehicle and aren't afraid to push it might be ok without computer assistance.
    I drive roads everyday with an overpopulation of deer. Every week is an emergency. I am not driving the car past its limit or am I being dumb driving fast on a road where deer are constantly running in front of you.

    Just the other day, I was going through a posted 40m.p.h. turn at 30m.p.h.
    A deer ran out in front of me. There was no time to regulate break control. I stood on it as hard as I could. No lock-up. Only ABS can do that.

    I have heard it before, and I have said it in the past, (it will not happen to me cause I am better than that, I know the limits of my vehicle). Well guess what, it happens to everyone. Chances are you will be in that situation one day. Its not that if you put yourself in the situation, its that someone else will. We all think were race car drivers, but we all can benefit from ABS, even though we all think we have perfect reaction time!
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 03-15-2007 at 06:12 PM.

  17. #37
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Ya, it was never about whether ABS was better or not for me. I don't claim to be an expert driver,,,I just don't like ABS and prefer to do without.

  18. #38
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya, it was never about whether ABS was better or not for me. I don't claim to be an expert driver,,,I just don't like ABS and prefer to do without.
    Sorry to have hijacked your thread!

  19. #39
    Super Sporting It Chevypowr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    Posts
    150

    Black
    1999 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I drive roads everyday with an overpopulation of deer. Every week is an emergency. I am not driving the car past its limit or am I being dumb driving fast on a road where deer are constantly running in front of you.

    Just the other day, I was going through a posted 40m.p.h. turn at 30m.p.h.
    A deer ran out in front of me. There was no time to regulate break control. I stood on it as hard as I could. No lock-up. Only ABS can do that.

    I have heard it before, and I have said it in the past, (it will not happen to me cause I am better than that, I know the limits of my vehicle). Well guess what, it happens to everyone. Chances are you will be in that situation one day. Its not that if you put yourself in the situation, its that someone else will. We all think were race car drivers, but we all can benefit from ABS, even though we all think we have perfect reaction time!
    I never said i will never happen to me. I already had 2 near miss's when I was driving at the posted 45mph speed limit and someone turn left at a light coming towards me and I think he is going to yield and he turns like i'm not there. In a split second my heartbeat was going to town, and I somehow made it around him while braking hard. it was scary shit but I don't knwo how ABS would have helped in that situation.

    I'm not full of myself I just have confidence in non asisted brakes, more power to you if you use ABS I have nothing against it at all. I just don't use it.

  20. #40
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Don't worry about my post,,,I get off subject all the time with other people. No problem, it's all interesting conversation to me Larry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. YouTube scales MySQL with Go code
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Computers / Gaming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2012, 07:10 PM
  2. On the scales
    By pajeff02 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-25-2010, 09:14 PM
  3. Convertable sub box????
    By schrysler in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-13-2008, 01:30 PM
  4. One less convertable Z28
    By Spanky in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 06:17 PM
  5. 02 M6 Convertable
    By rnl35thss in forum General Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2006, 08:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •