Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Took the 02 SS Convertable to the scales today

It weighed about what I guess it would. With 3/4 tank of gas it came in at exactly 3,620 lbs. I was hoping it would be lighter than my 97 Z-28 Convertable but somewhere the 02 has gained a little weight.
    The 97 on the same scale with the same amount of gas was 3,550 lbs. Both car being convertable and optioned the same I figured the 02 might be a little lighter with it's aluminum engine and fiberglass hood,,,I was wrong, it's heavier,,,lol.
    Pretty close, not enough to really make much difference but still shocked.
    Now a trip to the track is next to see how it fairs before any major bolt ons. Larry.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

plenty can be removed to lighten her up...
    best comparison is always on a full tank though, that way there's less variable...

especially considering how accurate out fuel level gauges always are

not to shabby though... esp when compared to GTO's

red
    99 camaro SS

does anyone know what the wieght should be on a 99 SS m6 with T-tops???

The only way to know for sure 1bad99 is to take yours to a scale nearby. Every car seems to be a little different for one reason or another.

Hey 1badls1, care to share any of those lightening tricks? I wouldn't mind so long as it doesn't compromise anything. I personally can't think of anything I could remove that I don't need or want.
    For what it's worth, I just topped the car off with gas, it was only just shy of 6 gallons from being full. Thats about another 40 lbs. or so give or take a couple.
    I was looking at both the 97 and the 02 trying to come up with a good reason why the 02 is so much heavier. Both optioned about the same. I know the bigger 17 inch wheels on the 02 are a little heavier than the 16's on the 97, I have had them off and noticed a little difference between them,,,but not 70 lbs. worth. Has to be some weight hiding somewhere Larry.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i had mine weighed, with full tank, plus me it was 3,800lbs exact

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Which transmission did the 97 have and what tranny does the 02 have. If the 02 has an auto while the 97 had a T56, that would be some weight difference right there.

There are lots of things you can do to lighten it up. If the 02 is an auto, an aftermarket convertor is about 20 pounds less than the stock convertor. The spare tire and jack is about a 35 pound weight savings if removed. Your choice in catbacks can be a nice weight savings as well.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Which transmission did the 97 have and what tranny does the 02 have. If the 02 has an auto while the 97 had a T56, that would be some weight difference right there.

There are lots of things you can do to lighten it up. If the 02 is an auto, an aftermarket convertor is about 20 pounds less than the stock convertor. The spare tire and jack is about a 35 pound weight savings if removed. Your choice in catbacks can be a nice weight savings as well.
    beat me to it!!!

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Just get the fat chick out of the back seat!

If I get time I'll try to get mine on the scale on Sunday.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

I weigh my car out on the scales.. It weigh'd 3660 with me in it on a full tank of gas.. I have an 02' M6.. with me out it weigh'd 35 somethin.... I don't think the scale was broken.. I went to a scale where the dump truck go.. it was a landfill with just rocks..
    Last edited by WARP211; 03-09-2007 at 04:20 PM.

Yes the 02 is an auto, the 97 is a 6 speed. I have had both trannys out of both cars recently, a clutch change on the 97,,and had to pull the trans on the 02 for a rear main seal leak.
    I have to say there isn't too much difference between the 2 as far as weight. That 6 speed is a mammoth. A far cry from my muncie days when you could simply lay a muncie on your chest and shove it home. That 6 speed is pretty darn heavy,,,I would have to say the auto is a little heavier,,but not 70 lbs.
    I think I am getting the extra 70 from alot of little things, the wheels, the trans, and probably a couple things I am missing. But I would have thought the aluminum block compared to cast iron block would have made up the difference. The 97 has a steel driveshaft while the 02 is aluminum so the 02 has that in it's favor as well,,,it's odd to me.

Thanks for the lightening tips. I planned on a converter sometime in the future but I'm in no hurry. That would also be a huge reciprocating weight reduction as well and should help the engine accelerate faster. I want to baseline the car first stock, and then some simple bolt ons before I get serious with it.
    I can't do the cat back though, car already has the center outlet exhaust with SLP's muffler and I-pipe and I don't want to mess with that.
    I will dig into the spare this weekend and see what's up with it. If it's a space saver I will probably stick it on the shelf,,,I never run those things on a car anyway,,,even if I had a flat I would just call the wife to bring the truck and trailer. No sense in keeping dead weight if I don't use it.
    Thanks for reminding me,,,that thing is so well hidden out of sight I forgot all about it. Larry.

SMKDFRD
    If you want to find out how much you car weighs (roughly) just look at the GM stickers on the driver side door. There should be the weight of the car listed, that is stock. Mods start to add up. They can increase, decrease or even out the weight of the car.

Ya I have never found that to be as accurate. I'm picky and have to have exact numbers and it's rather easy to find a scale and drive on it. Most of them won't even charge you for it,,,and if they do it's maybe $5-$10.
    I have been to the scale I use so much they just wave me on, no charge. Larry.

Ultimate nothing

Black
    2000 Trans Am

You can do plenty to lighten up the car. It just depends how far you want to go. If you do some looking there is probably a thread with the weights of most of the items in the car.

Thanks I will do some more searching and see what I can find out. Larry.

black
    2000 camaro z28

2000 T-Top a4 with me in it, full tank of gas...... 3650lbs and i weigh
    200lbs..you do the math

Thats make the car 3450,,,,pretty light from what I have seen so far. Mine was 3620 without my 200 lbs butt in it. I'll be dragging over 3800 lbs. when I go down the strip,,,sheeesh.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It weighed about what I guess it would. With 3/4 tank of gas it came in at exactly 3,620 lbs. I was hoping it would be lighter than my 97 Z-28 Convertable but somewhere the 02 has gained a little weight.
    The 97 on the same scale with the same amount of gas was 3,550 lbs. Both car being convertable and optioned the same I figured the 02 might be a little lighter with it's aluminum engine and fiberglass hood,,,I was wrong, it's heavier,,,lol.
    Pretty close, not enough to really make much difference but still shocked.
    Now a trip to the track is next to see how it fairs before any major bolt ons. Larry.
    Man I'm glad you posted this, I've been wanting to know the weight of my vert for a long time. I always guessed about 3800lbs. I have no idea how I guessed so close.

by the way I put that weight in my gtech pro SS the like 2days ago and I did a 0-60 and even while running through some sand I got 5.44sec!

I was happy! First time and all... I'm aiming for 4.9 or so. That's a perfect launch. When I did mine I dumped the clutch at 2,000rpms. Its so much fun!

by the way can you just go to a weigh station and get it checked?

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I did a 4.8 0-60 run on 225 tires on cold salty/sandy roads on my g-tech. I was really happy seeing I didn't do any power mods other than a cat back. I have to clean my window and try some more with it. I didn't even try a 1/4 with it yet. I think I finally found a good place to run. I put 3800 for a weight in mine too. The g-tech is so much fun. Once it got cold out the thing flew off my window when I got on it good.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

The spare tire and jack weigh 41lbs. (Just some interesting info as I just weighed it)

Thanks,,,thats interesting. I just pulled the panel out of my trunk and was gazing at it. I started thinking if I removed the space saver it would give me more room to store something more usefull like roadside tools, spare fuses, cleaning supplies,,,then I thought,,,I would be right back where I started Larry.

Thread Information