Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Tired of front licence plates

I got ticketed again for not having a front licence plate and frankly I'm fed up with it... Please sign this petition
    http://www.petitiononline.com/mdplate/petition.html

Black
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    I got ticketed again for not having a front licence plate and frankly I'm fed up with it... Please sign this petition
    http://www.petitiononline.com/mdplate/petition.html
    I'd sign it but I live in GA, glad we do not have that crap rule here.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

I just moved from Fla.to Nh and they have a front tag law, so neadless to say im shopping around for a plate bracket.

NBM
    '99 Z28

Signed it. I'm in MD too and have gotten multiple tickets for no front tag so I finally put it on.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

thanks im gonna try to go to court and plead my case lol... what do you think about it

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

They don't have that law in Indiana, but they do in Illinois. I personally think it's stupid, but I guess it's for law enforcement to be able to identify your vehicle from either direction. I know I saw a thread in here once showing a front license plate mounting that actually didn't look too bad. I know most of the license plates on the front look pretty hideous though.

When we lived in Ohio I just mounted mine on the lower air damn on both 4th gens, drove them everyday without any real issues. You just had to stand back from the car about 10 feet to see it under there. No big deal really.

We were pulled over a couple times, because the cop didn't see it. (it's not really in plain site) but once I pointed it out all was good. Never got a ticket for it. Cops were cool and saw that I was trying to make an attempt I guess. I wasn't about to remove the SS grill for a stupid license plate.

Now living in AZ it's not necessary.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I think youre wasting your day and are gonna lose in court. There is good reason MD is called the communist state. The main reason you have a front tag is so the law can hit it with their laser to give you a nice speeding fine.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
    I think youre wasting your day and are gonna lose in court. There is good reason MD is called the communist state. The main reason you have a front tag is so the law can hit it with their laser to give you a nice speeding fine.
    You don't need a plate in the front to be hit with a laser from that angle.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

I've been given a speeding ticket be fire and Ive never had a licence plate on any of my cars

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Ive been stopped for it several times....i always just play dumb and say the car never had one, lol

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro SS SLP #173

Wish we could do something about it here in Ontario... Tired of cleaning bugs off it! In Ontario your validation sticker goes on back plate for cars and front plate for trucks.Good luck with your fight!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i have been pulled over 4 times so far, never a ticket tho thank goodness. after the 3rd time i put it on the lower air dam and since i have been pulled over once and he crawled up under there and said it is too hard to see, mount it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    i have been pulled over 4 times so far, never a ticket tho thank goodness. after the 3rd time i put it on the lower air dam and since i have been pulled over once and he crawled up under there and said it is too hard to see, mount it correctly.
    That's how I used to do it. I actually mounted the plate about 1 inch lower than the air dam so it made it just a tad easier to see. Never had complaints from the cops after I pointed it out.

What was nice about that, was it acted like a curb feeler. Anytime I could hear that metal scrape entering a driveway, I knew I was close and probably should change my approach angle,,,,,lol.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

i hate NY for this reason... along with the high state taxes..

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's how I used to do it. I actually mounted the plate about 1 inch lower than the air dam so it made it just a tad easier to see. Never had complaints from the cops after I pointed it out.

What was nice about that, was it acted like a curb feeler. Anytime I could hear that metal scrape entering a driveway, I knew I was close and probably should change my approach angle,,,,,lol.
    hahaha i just did it and i gotta say it doesnt look as bad as i thought it would

RED
    2002/Z28

I would like to try this in Virginia also Iam gonna sign it. I have a few F-body buddys that live near me and they have it on the air dam and they said they have never been stoped by the cops. I had it on my old 97 WS-6 like that to I never got pulled.

EDIT..I found the same exsact thing for Virginia. I wounder how many signatures are needed to pass this law. Va has 5255 signatures.
    Last edited by EVIL-LS1; 05-19-2010 at 07:01 PM.

2000 Camaro B4C

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    i hate NY for this reason... along with the high state taxes..
    my thoughts exactly

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

I hate that stupid law!! I'm in Cali and we got that law too
    I got pulld over twice for that. I hate that law and the damn emissions.
    The front plate jst make the cars look ugly

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Its true you dont have to have a tag to be hit by a laser. All it takes is a large flat surface. Trucks are sitting ducks. If you dont have a tag they can also hit a headlight but its harder to hit giving the driver a chance to see them and slow down. Firebirds are sleek and dont have headlights. Very difficult to hit until you are very close. Headlights and licence plates reflect the light easier back to the gun so they can get you from further away. And you can also be had from behind, from above(helicoptor) by a speed camera, or from another driver with a cell phone turning you in so Im not saying a front tag automaticly means you will or wont get a ticket. If they are in front of you and youre withing 600 feet and speeding youre screwed. But with a front tag that distance grows to something like 1000 feet. At 500 feet a laser aimed at your car is aproximatly 12" wide. Now what is there on the front of a car that reflects light and is about 12" wide? Hmmmm.... Here is a small portion of what it says on 1stradardetectors.com
    You can aim the laser beam at the leading vehicle or the 3rd vehicle back, by aiming at the headlight. When aiming the laser beam at a vehicle, it is the same as aiming a pistol, thus the person using the laser gun peers through a sight and physically aims the laser beam down the highway at the desired vehicle. Within a typical 0.2 seconds, the reflected laser signal is detected by the laser gun, data is processed, and the gun alerts the policeman that he has the speed and displays that speed on the laser gun display.The policeman often has to re-trigger twice with a laser gun to get the vehicle speed. If he aims up into the windshield, a portion of the laser beam will pass through the windshield and go out the back windshield. Depending on the rake (angle) of the windshield, if the laser beam were incorrectly aimed at the windshield, part of the laser beam will reflect up into space. No laser signal comes back and no speed would be indicated. However, most police are well trained in the use of laser. They don't aim at windshields, and they generally do not use the laser gun beyond 1000 feet in the USA
    Last edited by wicked1; 05-20-2010 at 04:26 AM. Reason: adding info

Thread Information