Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Time for a new motor!!!!! INPUT requested

This is a discussion on Time for a new motor!!!!! INPUT requested within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS You are out of control Doctor! thats why im self-medicated!!!!!!...

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS View Post
    You are out of control Doctor!
    thats why im self-medicated!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    I wouldnt have to go that far but i just didnt want to go with the 408 at first because i wanted that extra room. but now i still do have it, just a buffer. I ahve the Patriot LS6 stage 2's. im going to find a head shop in my area and have some more work done like bigger valves
    Congrats, it sounds like that 408 has the extra room anyway so you're good to go for another round when this one expires,,,or umm,,,,wears out

As far as the lifters go,,,from what I was reading I think most all suppliers have switched to the LS7 lifters, so if you are buying a new set thats probably what you will wind up with. I'd call around and ask.

As far as rockers thats personal preference. Some people like to stick with the stockers and they work fine. My only hang up,,,(again personal preference) is why GM didn't put the roller tips on it?? If going with a roller rocker and designing something entirely new for the LS engine it just seems strange to me to only use a rollerized fulcrum. It may cut down on heat build up and friction but it does nothing for valve guide wear.

For this reason I prefer a roller tip as well, especially when you are talking about aluminum heads that have what I feel are very soft bronze valve guides compared to cast iron guides in cast iron heads.
    Not as much of an issue when talking about stock camshafts with small lift but when you get into more radical setups such as yourself, with over .600 lift I would personally go with a good quality name brand "FULL" roller rocker.
    Then the question comes,,,,do you want to make the valve train adjustable???

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Ok well then I will get the LS7 litters. But as far as rockers idk if I want to go with an adjustable valve train. That just seems like alot. What do you think

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

thats why im self-medicated!!!!!!
    You are a smart man sir!
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

Ok well then I will get the LS7 litters. But as far as rockers idk if I want to go with an adjustable valve train. That just seems like alot. What do you think
    It's alot of money for sure. Nothing I've found on these new LS motors are cheap at all. It's going to take a while for this motor to take a strong hold in the aftermarket with more reasonable prices,, It's slowly happening but it just hasn't had the luxury of being around for 50+ years yet.

On adjustable valvetrains,,,I personally prefer it, more so with aftermarket camshafts when the base circles have changed. It's definately necessary if you switch to a solid cam.

On the hydraulics you can stick with non-adjustable but you have to rely on a perfect length pushrod to set the proper pre-load on the lifters as well as proper geometry. I believe these LS motors like alot of preload compared to Gen 1 motors. Something like .080" to .100". Most of these camshaft manufactures have this worked out down to a science and can specify an exact length pushrod to accomplish that on a non-adjustable valvetrain, and it's the cheapest way to go.
    It's really personal preference and how much money you want to spend.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It's alot of money for sure. Nothing I've found on these new LS motors are cheap at all. It's going to take a while for this motor to take a strong hold in the aftermarket with more reasonable prices,, It's slowly happening but it just hasn't had the luxury of being around for 50+ years yet.

On adjustable valvetrains,,,I personally prefer it, more so with aftermarket camshafts when the base circles have changed. It's definately necessary if you switch to a solid cam.

On the hydraulics you can stick with non-adjustable but you have to rely on a perfect length pushrod to set the proper pre-load on the lifters as well as proper geometry. I believe these LS motors like alot of preload compared to Gen 1 motors. Something like .080" to .100". Most of these camshaft manufactures have this worked out down to a science and can specify an exact length pushrod to accomplish that on a non-adjustable valvetrain, and it's the cheapest way to go.
    It's really personal preference and how much money you want to spend.

thanks for the info. i will cal TSP and ask them which rocker arms they suggest as well as push rods. i already have some 7.375's cuz i have milled heads but ill ask just in case

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Does anyone know where i can get a complete gasket kit for this build? Thanks

Does anyone know where i can get a complete gasket kit for this build? Thanks
    I thought GMPP or Scoggin was offering gasket kits as well as a complete bolt kit too????

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I thought GMPP or Scoggin was offering gasket kits as well as a complete bolt kit too????
    i'll check thanks!

Black
    2002 SS

Ok so i just installed a FAST 92/92 about three weeks ago. I thought i had a vac leak (no biggie). I havent driven the car in about 4 or 5 days and it has been raining like crazy. So i go to start it and KA BAM!!!!! CLANK, CLANK, CLANK, CLANK............. Hydro lock is a $%*&. So now its time for a stroker. Anyone have any input on what to go with? Thanks in advance.

Ya know whats kind of funny is that i am almost happy. does that sound crazy?
    Be careful when installing intakes. I put my FAST on and got a line mixed up and was dumping water into the cylinders. Mechanic fixed it after two break downs. I could start it after it sat but man I'm glad I didn't end up with the damage you had.
    Good luck on the new motor
    Sounds badass

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by jambofla View Post
    Be careful when installing intakes. I put my FAST on and got a line mixed up and was dumping water into the cylinders. Mechanic fixed it after two break downs. I could start it after it sat but man I'm glad I didn't end up with the damage you had.
    Good luck on the new motor
    Sounds badass
    THANKS FOR RUBBING IT IN!

J/K
    hey thanks! glad to hear that you did blow yours.

Black
    2002 SS

THANKS FOR RUBBING IT IN!

J/K
    hey thanks! glad to hear that you did blow yours.
    Sorry Man.
    I wasn't trying to rub it in.
    That had to suck the way it happened.
    I hadn't thought about it until I read your thread but it could have very well been me.
    How many miles on your car.
    I see a lot of nice parts on that list.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Sorry Man.
    I wasn't trying to rub it in.
    That had to suck the way it happened.
    I hadn't thought about it until I read your thread but it could have very well been me.
    How many miles on your car.
    I see a lot of nice parts on that list.
    no hey i was just given you a hard time. i had just rolled over to 98k, but to tell you the truth the only thing im upset about is having to wait 4 weeks to get the 408 which really isn that bad or a prob...

Black
    2002 SS

no hey i was just given you a hard time. i had just rolled over to 98k, but to tell you the truth the only thing im upset about is having to wait 4 weeks to get the 408 which really isn that bad or a prob...
    The avatar is hilarious.
    Where do you get this shit.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

The avatar is hilarious.
    Where do you get this shit.
    i think off google. i just typed in retarded!

388 rwhp & 370 rwtq
    2001 Camaro SS #847

Ok so i just installed a FAST 92/92 about three weeks ago. I thought i had a vac leak (no biggie). I havent driven the car in about 4 or 5 days and it has been raining like crazy. So i go to start it and KA BAM!!!!! CLANK, CLANK, CLANK, CLANK............. Hydro lock is a $%*&. So now its time for a stroker. Anyone have any input on what to go with? Thanks in advance.

Ya know whats kind of funny is that i am almost happy. does that sound crazy?
    this happened to me today.. i feel your pain/confusion/happiness... hahaha! new motor time

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ksstamp09 View Post
    this happened to me today.. i feel your pain/confusion/happiness... hahaha! new motor time
    hey dude im sorry to hear that. i think we should start a support group! you have any idea what you wanna do?

388 rwhp & 370 rwtq
    2001 Camaro SS #847

hey dude im sorry to hear that. i think we should start a support group! you have any idea what you wanna do?
    haha FUMA (fucked up motors anonymous)

an no i have no idea yet. im lookin into a ls6 or maybe ls2 or ls3... i dunno as much about the ls2 an 3 tho an if they would be better in anyway or easier to work with install-wise.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ksstamp09 View Post
    haha FUMA (fucked up motors anonymous)

an no i have no idea yet. im lookin into a ls6 or maybe ls2 or ls3... i dunno as much about the ls2 an 3 tho an if they would be better in anyway or easier to work with install-wise.
    hey i just posted on ur thread

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Update!

Got some parts painted today. hopefully i can get the intake done tomorrow. These are in semi-gloss, i think i might do the intake in high gloss. i was thinkin about doing some red grandsport stripes on the valve covers. whatca think?
    Last edited by Dr.Crash; 03-19-2009 at 07:13 AM.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information