Thread: thumps

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

thumps

when i leave a stop light or from a stop when i let them rpms get real low as i take off i feel and hear a thump thump but its only very low rpms. maybe drive shaft? let me know thanks

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

My car does that, but i dont hear anything. ive heard it referred to as "bucking", kind of the same thing that happens when you let off the clutch too fast with a manual tranny. mines caused by a stuck EGR valve. If its sticking enough for you to notice, then you'd get codes (P1406), i get 2-3 a day, its nice to have a code reader/clearer.

BTW, i have another EGR coming in the mail, i was supposed to have it last week, but there is some confusion about payment.

My car only does thsi when i first take off, and dont get the RPMs over 1200. It will also surge a little bit if im behind some slow ass and i dont downshift. for example, 35mph in 4th gear, its like 1300 rpms, if i barely set my foot on the pedal it will do it.

Other than that, the only thing i can think of is that you might be mis-firing. thats a P0300 code if its a bad coil, i dont know if bad plugs will throw a code

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

hmm i should check into that yea it feels like its coming from the driveshaft sometimes it sounds like it fell off the U joint and is slappin around twice. hope its not serious thanks keep em comin

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

yeah, it fucks with your whole drivetrain, i had a coil go out a few weeks ago. had about 300 misfires in just a few minutes, i honestly thought my tranny was out.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Ive got the EGR code and the surging.. thanks for enlighting me

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Yeah, EGR's are pretty expensive, for a little POS that doesnt do much, ive been qouted between 150 and 160, i found one on ebay for 128 plus shipping.

95 and up use an electronic EGR, before that was mechanical, its way cheaper. its easy to install yourself, ive removed mine twice to clean. its just a plug and two bolts.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

still waiting to order the blockoff plates.. lol

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

The only problem with block offs is that the EGR code wont go away, youll actually have to go get tuned, and remove that code completely. can be pricey

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

I do believe EGR has a table that has to be wiped as well. It removes/adds timing. Frost might need to correct me.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I wouldnt know anything about that, all i know is it seems pointless to me.

they claim it helps the engine run cooler, now im not a physics major, but wouldnt ambient air temp run cooler than recirculating hot air?

The other thing ive heard is that it clears carbon out of the intake, again, im not real sure how carbon builds up in the intake, seeing as how the carbon is produced after the fuel has been burned.

Thread Information