Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thoughts on clones...SS,WS6

This is a discussion on Thoughts on clones...SS,WS6 within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by zeesnutts No rules on building a car! Guys have been doing it for years taking the best ...

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by zeesnutts View Post
    No rules on building a car! Guys have been doing it for years taking the best parts or styles off other cars or years and swapping them to make the car look better or changing things a little to make it flow. Like Chip Foose and all the work he has done and I bet every hater in here would run up to him and hump his leg LOL

I wouldn't put SS badges on my Z28 but that doesn't mean Sworn is wrong for doing it.
    I hope you are kidding me.

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Id make it what you want to be, i never say my car is a ws6 but people just automatically assume it is one. Its actually kind of annoying now.

My car has a just plain lsX badge on the back of it, no ws6 badge or anything. You could clone it, but i would just not badge it as a SS. Looks cleaner with out the badges honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant71130 View Post
    go put whatever pieces you want on it. But don't put ss badges on it because everyone you run into isn't going to stop you and ask to see your rpo codes. it's going to be decieving on a false implication.
    That would just appear (to me) the car is confused. SS body parts and Z28 badges? That's like putting transam fender flares on my formula....

Just wouldn't work,,,,poor thing would look confused.

Unless you are buying the car,,,then why would anyone ask to see your RPO codes? Who cares if he put SS badges on the car. People have been making clones and rebadging cars since the 60's as far as I can remember.
    It's really no concern to any of us unless you want to buy it. Then checking history becomes important. Otherwise it's just a nice car to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by zeesnutts View Post
    Like Chip Foose and all the work he has done and I bet every hater in here would run up to him and hump his leg LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I hope you are kidding me.
    I was thinking the same thing I've never cared for anything Chip has done. Frankly I never watch any of the shows either. I prefer 99% of the cars to be "as built". Subtle changes are fine if they can easily be reversed. Otherwise it does nothing for me. But that's just one old mans opinion

black
    2001 Z28

Unless you are buying the car,,,then why would anyone ask to see your RPO codes? Who cares if he put SS badges on the car. People have been making clones and rebadging cars since the 60's as far as I can remember.
    It's really no concern to any of us unless you want to buy it. Then checking history becomes important. Otherwise it's just a nice car to enjoy.[/QUOTE]

THIS^^^^

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yup gotta check the car VIN/codes when buying. I had to burst some guy's bubble when I told him the 1967 "GTO" he was selling was really a Le Mans with a GTO clone kit. Got his price down 40%, it was still a nice looking car. Had the real chrome wire mesh grill, only 1967 GTOs had that. After then it was all plastic chit.

Pewter
    99 z28

I'm actually a fan of zeenuts's camaro. Lip kit and all is a little different, has a Trans Am style bumper and hood but who cares. It still looks fresh, also the MARO caught my attention. Maybe it isn't something I'd do to mine but it is a neat little idea.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

My registration says that mine is a Camaro Z28 yet it came from the dealer as a SS Do what you want!

Quote Originally Posted by Teknik_SS View Post
    My registration says that mine is a Camaro Z28 yet it came from the dealer as a SS Do what you want!
    They all say that,,,pretty common. Alot of your vintage muscle is the same way. Most (if not all) of the vintage stuff I have here says nothing about the cars original heritage. At least the 4th gens actually say Z28 on the title. My 69 camaro doesn't say Z28 on the title, but the X33 vin and the build sheet say other wise. All my other stuff is that way too.

I think sometimes when these cars change hands and titles are redone, only the names are put on the titles as to what the new owner says it is. I've run into that at the DMV myself. Or, if the actual vin they use on the car doesn't designate anything other than "camaro" then that's all they put on the title.
    In the case of the 4th gen, there is a digit in the vin that pops up "Z28" so the title reflects that. There is no digit in the vin to designate "SS",,,that code is in the RPO's in the door jamb. The DMV doesn't care about those.
    That's why the 69 just says "camaro" on the title, because there is nothing in the vin to designate Z28. You have to go to the Data plate on the cowl and look for X33 or X77 for a Z28 (if built around or after mid December on Norwood cars) but that's another discussion.
    You get the meaning though.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 05-13-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That would just appear (to me) the car is confused. SS body parts and Z28 badges? That's like putting transam fender flares on my formula....

Click for full size

Just wouldn't work,,,,poor thing would look confused.

It's really no concern to any of us unless you want to buy it. Then checking history becomes important. Otherwise it's just a nice car to enjoy.
    I agree to some extent. When buying a car it's the buyer's responsibility to check up on the correct history and the seller's duty to be honest. It's only *really* important in this setting. But to me, the car IS confused the instant you change... anything. Because assuming the car has knowledge figuratively speaking, it knows what it was.
    To me, a clone is a full out clone. Like I said, hood, spoiler, wheels, and all suspension, down to the lid...OEM It should clone it. If you're just going for looks... then customize it. If you want a clean look, de-badge it. But why put ss tags on it. To match what it 'appears' to be? Why? You want a Z28 that looks like an SS. Bam, got one. Is it important to tell yourself you have an SS? You know you don't. Do others need to think you got minor suspension upgrades and came with that hood from the factory? I think it's far cooler to have your own car. In the end non of the cars or Z28's or SS's. They're all better in our eyes.

For a simplar saying, if I took an LS3, threw the Zr1 cover ontop, would I be right in saying my car has an LS9?
    Not a bullet proof analogy by to me, that's how it seems. Even if you DID S/C an LS3, you have a SC'ed LS3. Not an LS9. Ya feel me?

Quote Originally Posted by Ant71130 View Post
    For a simplar saying, if I took an LS3, threw the Zr1 cover ontop, would I be right in saying my car has an LS9?
    Not a bullet proof analogy by to me, that's how it seems. Even if you DID S/C an LS3, you have a SC'ed LS3. Not an LS9. Ya feel me?
    Ya kinda lost me. If you do a S/C LS3 then it's just that, a S/C LS3. Putting the ZR1 cover on top doesn't change anything, it's just appearance. If you were to go around saying it's an LS9 then you would be lying to yourself and others, not cool. It's the owners responsibility.

Just bystanders looking at it however,,, Will they think it's a ZR1 engine?? Maybe,,,but who cares. Those that ask about it,,,,just be straight with your answer. It's when people are purposely deceiving when it becomes a questionable act.

black
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by DVrec21 View Post
    I'm actually a fan of zeenuts's camaro. Lip kit and all is a little different, has a Trans Am style bumper and hood but who cares. It still looks fresh, also the MARO caught my attention. Maybe it isn't something I'd do to mine but it is a neat little idea.
    what is your paypal account again? I will sent you the money ASAP! lol WOW thx! just like doing things out of the norm and coming out different then the rest.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya kinda lost me. If you do a S/C LS3 then it's just that, a S/C LS3. Putting the ZR1 cover on top doesn't change anything, it's just appearance. If you were to go around saying it's an LS9 then you would be lying to yourself and others, not cool. It's the owners responsibility.

Just bystanders looking at it however,,, Will they think it's a ZR1 engine?? Maybe,,,but who cares. Those that ask about it,,,,just be straight with your answer. It's when people are purposely deceiving when it becomes a questionable act.
    That was my point. I just don't see a purpose in attempting a clone with pure cosmetics. Pieces are fine, but tagging it would, to me, be like tagging an ls9 badge on an ls3 w/cover. Got the looks, dont need to "fake badge" it. To each his own though! No worries. Fantastic looking formula btw. Really sharp. And to zees, I showed
    My girl your camaro. Thinks it looks sweet. As do I. :P
    Last edited by Ant71130; 05-14-2011 at 01:22 PM.

White
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

I went ahead and put a suncoast creation WS6 hood on my car and now waiting in the mail for the WS-13 Sinister Performance Package badge. Also trying to find a place to install my ground effects kit on... As long as you dont tell people its an original SS then who cares. Its YOUR car...
    Last edited by Young11b; 05-14-2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: typos?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information