Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

thinking of trading my ss in for a terminator

This is a discussion on thinking of trading my ss in for a terminator within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Mr. Luos Kinda sounds like the Mustang GT owners... "Take away the 1.1 liter advantage of the ...

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Kinda sounds like the Mustang GT owners...

"Take away the 1.1 liter advantage of the LS1 and what do you get?"

Supercharge an LS1 = $6,000 and 440 RWHP
    Pulley, exhaust, tune a Cobra = $1,000 and 450RWHP

I don't defend either side, but the whole "put a blower on an LS1" or "Take about cubes" defense just means you are looking for excuses.
    Being on the losing side sucks....and that is where excuses come from.

Thats a good point you made but with the cost difference between the two cars it would still be cheaper to have a supercharged ls1. If i supercharged my TA I would have still spent less than 20K. Ur only spending $1000 on the $25K cobra but it's already supercharged stock and that's what you're paying for. Those are good numbers that you estimated but I bet you could still squeeze more out of the f body especially if it has full bolt on's. I believe STS claims you'll get 508 rwhp on a stock ls1. I know it's a turbo, not a s/c but I'm sure you get those numbers with either.
    I don't think this battle will ever end

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    Thats a good point you made but with the cost difference between the two cars it would still be cheaper to have a supercharged ls1. If i supercharged my TA I would have still spent less than 20K. Ur only spending $1000 on the $25K cobra but it's already supercharged stock and that's what you're paying for. Those are good numbers that you estimated but I bet you could still squeeze more out of the f body especially if it has full bolt on's. I believe STS claims you'll get 508 rwhp on a stock ls1. I know it's a turbo, not a s/c but I'm sure you get those numbers with either.
    I don't think this battle will ever end
    both you and luos provide good points for sure.

i just want to add though, that it may be cheaper when its all said and done to supercharge the ls1, but it depends on the kind of supercharger and power you want to make. also you dont always have the same reliability as you are entering unchartered waters boosting a factory n/a motor instead of having the necessities from the factory like the cobra has. with that 25k you are paying for a certain peace of mind too and if its an 04, possibly a real warranty.

nevertheless, good points and you are correct, this debate will never end.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by JayplaySS2 View Post
    Then you know zero about a Cobra.
    Come on dude. All the years that the LS1 was in the F-Body, Ford didn't do a good enough effort off making it compete until 03' when the F-Bod died.

myothercarisaambulance rigdoctormark's Avatar

artic white
    2002 camaro ss

Ok guys, great points on both sides. Thanks for the input. Having said that the terminator was sold before I could talk trade. I guess I was just wanting something different and badass. Seems like everyone in my hometown has a z or ss but I personally have only seen maybe two terms in town and one is putting down over 500 rwhp with a steigmier pulley (probably spelled that wrong) and a exhaust. The other one is stock and came by me like I had a stump tied to my ass.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by rigdoctormark View Post
    Ok guys, great points on both sides. Thanks for the input. Having said that the terminator was sold before I could talk trade. I guess I was just wanting something different and badass. Seems like everyone in my hometown has a z or ss but I personally have only seen maybe two terms in town and one is putting down over 500 rwhp with a steigmier pulley (probably spelled that wrong) and a exhaust. The other one is stock and came by me like I had a stump tied to my ass.
    How much did it go for?

artic white
    2002 camaro ss

like 26,000

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by rigdoctormark View Post
    like 26,000
    So, in other words, you would have had to fork out, How much extra dough?

artic white
    2002 camaro ss

more than it would have been worth doing.

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Come on dude. All the years that the LS1 was in the F-Body, Ford didn't do a good enough effort off making it compete until 03' when the F-Bod died.

We'll talk atfter you have had a 550-600rwhp LSX and then moved on to a Modded Cobra. Until then ..you know ZERO about Cobras. Not my fault GM stopped making F-bods in 2003 and the Cobra came out the same year. What would have changed? Nothing.

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    I saw Jayplays video and it impressed the hell out of me. I dont know if thats a "Terminator" he has but it sure is awsome. I am a GM guy myself and personally I like the Camaro SS and would keep that but I wouldnt hold it against anyone who did trade.
    I know alot of you guys are messing around saying Ford sucks but I believe some of you really believe that-in which case you should think again.
    Thank you sir Where are you in Florida? Im in Ft. Lauderdale.

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by nitrobusa View Post
    And I think that you really know that Fords suck! Some of the Cobras are Fast, I'll give them that. But compare apples for apples here. Take a LS1 car and but a blower on it, Its GAME OVER! Motor for Motor the LS1 are a better car and I think you will agree. add in the mix of a blower and your not talking comparables here. Just my 2 cents...........
    Valid point, bad argument. To have a good F-bod around $10K and then a forged short block AND the supercharger with supporting mods you are at 18-20K already. Now what about your rear, trans and suspension. My buddy is still stalling on his decision on a procharger installed from D'agostino racing for $7,900. Car was $10K exactly. Then he still cant run more than 470-500rwhp (8lbs) and he is still on stock converter/trans/rear/suspension.....another easy $4K
    For him to get his car to run with mine, he will spend EVERY bit of $25K+ car included. Im still doing this on a smaller engine no less. Hell give me the extra 1.1 liters!

Point is ANY 600-700rwhp car is gonna cost 20-30K to do it right.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

We'll talk atfter you have had a 550-600rwhp LSX and then moved on to a Modded Cobra. Until then ..you know ZERO about Cobras. Not my fault GM stopped making F-bods in 2003 and the Cobra came out the same year. What would have changed? Nothing.
    How can you say that? You are comparing two different vehicles that are modded in different ways and have the same rwhp.

This talk, "You know zero has gotta stop"

Be cival, dude, or the thread is gonna get locked.

And for the record, I have driven a modded Terminator. I was impressed, and I have read up on them and I do know what they are capable of. 9 out of 10 of my friends have Mustangs and the Cobra is one of em. I have raced it and got

No one said it is your fault GM stopped making the F-bod; come on man....
    GM would have came out with something to compete, but this is besides the point, and the point is:

We are comparing an LS1 to a Ford built for a Supercharger. So, naturally the LS1 would not be built to withstand the abuse of boost. So, in all fairness, the Cobra wins, although to me, I am born GM all the way.

C6 H/C/N20

How can you say that? You are comparing two different vehicles that are modded in different ways and have the same rwhp.

This talk, "You know zero has gotta stop"

Be cival, dude, or the thread is gonna get locked.

And for the record, I have driven a modded Terminator. I was impressed, and I have read up on them and I do know what they are capable of. 9 out of 10 of my friends have Mustangs and the Cobra is one of em. I have raced it and got

No one said it is your fault GM stopped making the F-bod; come on man....
    GM would have came out with something to compete, but this is besides the point, and the point is:

We are comparing an LS1 to a Ford built for a Supercharger. So, naturally the LS1 would not be built to withstand the abuse of boost. So, in all fairness, the Cobra wins, although to me, I am born GM all the way.
    In not going to argue with you, you ONLY enjoy GM where as I enjoy horsepower.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Thank you, that is why I am here!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

So then why are you here if GM can't compete in the horsepower war?

I am just curious

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thank you sir Where are you in Florida? Im in Ft. Lauderdale.

Tampa here -that car looks fun to drive-have you ever taken it to the dragstrip? Was wondering what # that thing ran w/drag radials.

C6 H/C/N20

So then why are you here if GM can't compete in the horsepower war?

I am just curious
    Im here because Im an LSX fan and will have another one but people have a lot of bad info and insults to Cobras, so I like to try and set them straight.

The LS engines are the best in design and efficiency and will only get better, I had a heavily modded 99 SS before th Cobra and will have a C6 Z06 when they go down a bit. They are making everyone else change thier designs and thats awesome. The new Vette (ZR1) will even have a S/C LS engine. I love GM and Ford and I do believe GM has an advantage. Ford just needs to revamp thier designs, as they are doing. The Cobra just happens to really appeal to me, a hp junkie.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Im here because Im an LSX fan and will have another one but people have a lot of bad info and insults to Cobras, so I like to try and set them straight.

The LS engines are the best in design and efficiency and will only get better, I had a heavily modded 99 SS before th Cobra and will have a C6 Z06 when they go down a bit. They are making everyone else change thier designs and thats awesome. The new Vette (ZR1) will even have a S/C LS engine. I love GM and Ford and I do believe GM has an advantage. Ford just needs to revamp thier designs, as they are doing. The Cobra just happens to really appeal to me, a hp junkie.
    Sweet! Thats cool!

Did you say GM was gonna produce a ZR-1 again?

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    Tampa here -that car looks fun to drive-have you ever taken it to the dragstrip? Was wondering what # that thing ran w/drag radials.

No, never been with the Cobra. I got booted at Morosso with my SS at 11.40 @121 and since I know the Cobra will only get one run I cant bring myself to drive an hour to try. Plenty of street races though. I was trying to get my SS to go 11.50 and THEN try my 100 shot but It kinda hooked and went too quick.....11.4X at 121 N/A. Fun car.

C6 H/C/N20

Sweet! Thats cool!

Did you say GM was gonna produce a ZR-1 again?

The "Blue devil" name was just changed to "ZR1" as the official name for it! Very classy.

Here is the read.
    http://www.ontariostreetcar.com/show...=3516#post3516

"Chevrolet's 650-horsepower Corvette, developed under the codename "Blue Devil," will be called ZR1. That badge will appear on the January 2008 Detroit show car, and on the production version set to go on sale later next year as a 2009 model. GM has been developing this car for several years, using a supercharged version of the new 6.2-liter small block V-8 used in the 2008 Corvette. GM also considered such names as Z07 and Super Sport for the ultra-low-volume car. Price will be much higher than the 505-horsepower Z06, and Chevy will continue production of that car when the ZR1 launches."

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information