Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thinking of Repainting

This is a discussion on Thinking of Repainting within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by cocobolo95 Thought I'd throw in, stay away from cheap paint jobs. They have to cut many corners ...

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by cocobolo95 View Post
    Thought I'd throw in, stay away from cheap paint jobs. They have to cut many corners like prep work, quality of materials. At todays prices just the paint supplies from a quality company will cost a minimum of $400 and that doesn't include colors like reds that can cost twice as much as other colors.
    Actually if you keep the same color Paint isn't that much. 2quartsof colors(other that red) in Dupont Chroma Base is $110 for black and around $150 or so for blue and sivler colors. Reduced the 2qts make a gallon which is more than enough. Then another $100 for Cearcoat/activator. Also a gallon of reducer if doing it yourself. That's my cost being a small shop, large shops that mix their own paint have lower costs. Red is almost twice as much for the basecoat.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Killer View Post
    My car isnt arctic white, it already has pearl in it I just dont know if its Caddy pearl or Lexus or just plane jane pearl flake. Think it is Caddy though cause it looks yellow kinda sometimes. I am really curious what Lexus IS looks like. Thanks for all the good input guys. Any other paint schemes are welcome.
    Go by any Lexus dealer on a sunny day and look for an IS 4 door. You'll be able to tell it's not a real bright with but you'll see the blue reflexction as soon as the sun hits it clearly. It's one of the nnicest factory paints I've seen as far as a clean look. The Vipers have used some crazy color to set them apart but not really my thing. About the only bright colors I like are the SOM SS and TA's or the Atomic orange on the Vette.

You can ask them how much it would be just to use a white close to what you have now and just add flake to the base. Most paint stores only charge $20 or so per Qt and it depends how much you have them add. Have them add some and then look at it on a paint nstick to see if it has enought. Don't be afraid to mic color. There are dirrernt shades of blue and red pearl.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

NBM, or Black.. When it's time to repaint the 01 I'm sticking with NBM, and Black on the z34.. In just the right light NBM can be purple, dark blue, electric type blue, or even black.. It's also not super common I believe..

Older photos

Last edited by Smittro; 06-26-2010 at 10:08 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    1998 Trans Am

The NBM is a nice color I have seen several of fbodies in that color here. Probably less where you are. I actually have one friend with a Z28 and one a WS6 Formula. I have don't some paint work it's a pretty easy color to match up. I thing the hardest color is that yellow on the 02 TA because if you don't have just the right amout of orange it looks off.

black
    1995 transam

The only clearcoat and activators I can get for $100 are brands like limco and other 2nd line paint companies. If you go with a 1st class brand like RM or Dupount or PPG expect to pay a good deal more.

More dreams than money... Cobra Killer's Avatar

White
    99 Z-28

So having them color match my white paint and add pearl sounds like it would be the way to go. When adding pearl I want something that is really going to make my it pop... What does the red pearl flake look like sunny? And have you guys seen a red manta stripe on white before? Or how about red pearl on a red car?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Killer View Post
    have you guys seen a red manta stripe on white before?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    I love the red on the white, I have always thought that looked really sharp.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by cocobolo95 View Post
    The only clearcoat and activators I can get for $100 are brands like limco and other 2nd line paint companies. If you go with a 1st class brand like RM or Dupount or PPG expect to pay a good deal more.
    Never heard of Limco guess they don't sell that here. I use the Nason Clear made by Dupont. Ask any retailer and they'll tell you it's the same sht different can. I use it all the time and no one can tell where the factory paint ends and mine begins on a new bar. I do use only Dupont Chroma Base paint, Nasons colors don't match as well. I know a guy who had a 96 Impalla SS Maroon he painted 5 yrs ago with PPG basecoat and their cheap shopline(omni was the onld name) clear and it still looks great. i can paint a car and use Dupont clear and another with Nason and I'd love to see someone who can tell the difference. I'll even do a carr half with one and half with the other and let someone pick out which is which. I had a teacher years ago who worked for dupont and sherwin william auto line and he even said the nason paint and dupont are different but the clear will give you the same finish and cost half as much. Most of the time it's the same stuff there putting in dupont cans at the same time.
    Also never know some 2nd line clears tilll you have used them. I have used euroclear on my celica and it shines as good as any dupont or PPG clear. Also there is another clear I uuse for bumper and other single panel jobs. it's a new speed clear and it's $80/gal with activator and it dries to buff in 1.5 to 2 hrs at 70 degrees. I gave one door 2.5 hours and wet sanded and buffed it. Came out perfect. I could have started sooner since it was more than set by then. I probably could have started at 2 hr mark safely. I used it on a 2010 white scion XB cube looking one and you couldn't even tell where the scratch ws fived and door was blended and completly recleared. Looked as good as new. I did use Dupont Chroma Base paint for a good color match.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I love the red on the white, I have always thought that looked really sharp.
    Tell that to the new mod, i thought her car looked great with the red

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Wanting to repaint

Hey I have a 2002 Trans Am and I wanna repaint it. It's black with ghost flames. The guy I bought it From kept it out in the sun and the paint became hazed. It also has a couple of scratches and the hood is cracked. How much would it cost to repaint it black and put the flames back on?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information