think i might have scrwed up my car

This is a discussion on think i might have scrwed up my car within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; i went to down shift and instead of going into 4th i went to 2nd, and well i was going ...

Red
    98 SS Camaro

think i might have scrwed up my car

i went to down shift and instead of going into 4th i went to 2nd, and well i was going pretty fast... so the tires locked up and yeah, pretty pissed right now. did i mess up my car real bad?

Is it throwing any codes/making any valve train noises?

Sunset Orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

I used to do it in my 98 Z every now and then, I down shifted one time from 3 to 2 like you are saying, with third gear ran all the way out. As long as you caught yourself quik and pushed the clutch back in, the rev limiter probably kept it safe. I never had any problems with mine.

Red
    98 SS Camaro

the only thing that i saw it throw was low trac.... then that turned off. but i dont even have traction control on my car. i think it was there for like a second. then i quickly got out of it.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_SS View Post
    the only thing that i saw it throw was low trac.... then that turned off. but i dont even have traction control on my car. i think it was there for like a second. then i quickly got out of it.
    If you were using the brakes also then the low trac light came because the ABS was re-proportioning the brake fluid pressure. Read your manual. It explains this.

Don't worry about the low trac light - mine has thrown it a couple times and doesn't have ASR/TCS either. Happened once in reverse backing out of a parking space when the engine died before getting a tune for my TC.

Black
    1998 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Shepp1691 View Post
    I used to do it in my 98 Z every now and then, I down shifted one time from 3 to 2 like you are saying, with third gear ran all the way out. As long as you caught yourself quik and pushed the clutch back in, the rev limiter probably kept it safe. I never had any problems with mine.
    The rev limiter would not keep his car from overreving in this case bc the rev limiter only limits the rpms when you are giving the car gas, not when you downshift.
    http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wheelieke5.jpg361hp 351tq 98 Z/28 A4 SLP Lid/Smooth Bellow/LM2 K&N Filter Pacesetter Headers TSP Y Pipe Z06 Style Wheels B&M shifter Yank 3200 Prothane Motor/Trans Mounts Torquer V2/7.425" p-rods/Comp Springs
    $, the replacement for displacement.

Red
    98 SS Camaro

dont try and scare me now, do you guys think my car is okay. i drove it arond the block again and it felt normal...

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

yeah, if you didn't waaayyy overrev you should be fine. i did it once exiting a freeway, rear tires lost traction and yust slid for a couple of meters. car was fine. as you said, it still feels normal and does not sound different (=unhealthy), right?

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Ooooooohh man its done, you should give it to me and go get another one. J/K I've done that many times before in my old 94 Z28 racing people and never had a problem.

Red
    98 SS Camaro

do you really want it.... if you do you can have it. im tired of it

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

No no no don't say that, ok ok ok put your car on the computer. It's ok girl he don't meen it he's just having a bad day.

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Now say your sorry and go wash your car and go mess up some mustangs you will feel better after that I promise.

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_SS View Post
    do you really want it.... if you do you can have it. im tired of it
    ive felt the same about mine too.....then i drive the wifes 2002 lancer oz rally and i come to back to earth!lol

Next Race= WSIR 2/26-27 SIK02SS's Avatar
    Too many

im sure its fine. it happens every once in a while. dont sweat it

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by Shepp1691 View Post
    hahahhaaha this reminds me of the time I redlined 2nd and I went for 3rd but put it into 1st! scared the shit out of me and you already know I locked up the rear tires but all in less than 1/2 second I realized it and I pushed the clutch back in and I was good. It should be ok if it drives well. Play it by ear, but if you notice something different get it checked out.

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

If it's runing fine and driving fine don't worry about it. I on the other hand was not so lucky. If you broke something you will notice it. I went from the top of third reaching for forth and found second. I had to keep my foot in the gas to keep it running and limped home for 3 miles. Found out the next day I bent 6 push rods. Oh it gets better. It still wouldnt run right. Brought it in to be worked on 3 weeks later. found 5 valves bent. Had 2 have the heads fixed. Worst part about it was,the night I did this...........I had just bought the car 8 hours earlier. Good thing was this was the kick off of modding. since the repair it has gotten full exhst,clutch,heads,cam,fuel pump and injectors,oil pump,fast intake and 90mm TB,frame conects,short throw and tune.

Go try it again , when you break it , it will give you a reason to start modding. Then it just wont stop. It's a disease and you can't control it. You will have more and more fun. Next thing you know you will be in the poor house but, you'll have a fast car and that's all that matters.

Don't worry about it, I have done it to all of my f-bodys and no probs except this 1 . I blame it on the previous owners.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

If you want peace of mind pull the pushrods out and see if any are bent.

Thread Information