Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SSslow

think i just messed up the camaro

it has been raining like crazy here in houston for the past couple of hours and almost everywhere is flooded. Damn city. Well i was trying to get home and ran into a deep puddle, more like a mini lake. I thought i saw smoke coming out of the engine bay but it was raining so hard i wasnt sure. As soon as i hit the deep waters car started sputtering and stalled. My dumbass tried to turn it back on and yeah .. "clank clack pop" .. im sure ls1's are not too good at compressing water with fuel and air. Whats the worst case scenerio i should be expecting. I know this is going to be a rebuild. Anyone had to deal with anything like this before. I want to hear some experiences.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

this is called "hydrolocked" you saw steam probably not smoke, there are alot of posts about this do a thread search. I"m sure others will post this thread soon.
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Man that sucks. Hope it turns out for the best.

SSslow
    dealer quoted me 2gs for the labor at least. I dont know. I dont trust dealer rebuilds.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

I would buy a new short block and do it yourself. Get some buddies to help you out. Or just buy the stuff and have a machine shop do it. Then you will have new aftermnarket stuff instead of stock replacements. i'm sure there are some guys around your area that would love to help out.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

So did you suck water into the cylinders through the intake a break some rings when you cranked it?

SSslow
    Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    So did you suck water into the cylinders through the intake a break some rings when you cranked it?
    Im not sure as to what is broken yet. I hope nothing. Just the sound when i crank it tells me that its nothing minor

I would buy a new short block and do it yourself. Get some buddies to help you out. Or just buy the stuff and have a machine shop do it. Then you will have new aftermnarket stuff instead of stock replacements. i'm sure there are some guys around your area that would love to help out.
    Most of my buddies are into imports. I do know couple of people but they are too busy working. I even called MTI and they are booked until 1st.

I talked to a buddy of mine close by, he was saying that ls1's dont bend valves or rods that easy. I might just have to drain and flush the motor. Pop the plugs crank it.. push all the water out and oil change. I really hope thats it.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Try that what is the worst that can happen you have to rebuild the motor. I would try anything to get out of a rebuild.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Pull the plugs and roll it over to blow the cylinders out, he's right. The only realistic other problem would be broken rings from cranking it with water in the cylinders, which isn't a really bad problem, just no fun to fix and it's totally undrivable until it's fixed. Replace those plugs after you pull em and roll it over, and that really is probably all it's gonne take to fix it. ps. . .don't crank on it at all any more until those plugs are out

redls1bird
    Pull the plugs and roll it over to blow the cylinders out, he's right. The only realistic other problem would be broken rings from cranking it with water in the cylinders, which isn't a really bad problem, just no fun to fix and it's totally undrivable until it's fixed. Replace those plugs after you pull em and roll it over, and that really is probably all it's gonne take to fix it. ps. . .don't crank on it at all any more until those plugs are out

i think thats the only other realistic problem if your an optimist. the car could have stalled without doing major damage, but if it cranked up and sucked the remainder of the water in the intake into a cylinder it is very ptssible to have bent a rod. if a broken ring was the only problem, low compression would be the result and ultimatley very poor driveability. hope for the best and good luck. Dont forget pics!!

SSslow
    Quote Originally Posted by redls1bird
    i think thats the only other realistic problem if your an optimist. the car could have stalled without doing major damage, but if it cranked up and sucked the remainder of the water in the intake into a cylinder it is very ptssible to have bent a rod. if a broken ring was the only problem, low compression would be the result and ultimatley very poor driveability. hope for the best and good luck. Dont forget pics!!
    That was what im scared of. If its just rings then i ll probably throw in a cam too while heads are out. I ll find out tomorrow after flushing the motor and all. I actually pulled the oil stick and oil is clean, there is no air pockets or visible water in it. I took out the intake cover and there was a little bit of water sitting in front of the TB.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I had two friends in four wheel drive trucks at one time or another hydro lock the motor.

1st one was driving a GMC sonoma highrider in a low spot in his neighborhood during a torrential downpour, stalled his truck (4.3 auto) and it sat until the water subsided. His insurance actually totalled it as a flood vehicle (with 18K on it)

2nd one was driving into a mud pit at a party in a 4.0L 4x4 ranger. If I know him, it was WOT then locked when it sucked water into the intake. Another truck pulled him out. They pulled the plugs immediately, spun it over to clear the water, drained the oil and refilled it. With the old plugs back in the motor, it was running again in 45 minutes, like nothing ever happened.

Sounds like yours might have sat for a while like the first one, so best of luck to you!

Hammer

red
    94 Z28

Call you insurance company. This will actually be covered. Don't worry about dealer rebuilds. They don't rebuild engines. Only replace them.

SSslow
    i dont have full coverage .. im not sure if i want them to mark the car flood damaged anyways. The car is being worked on here in houston at icon motorsports. #1 cylinder and couple of others have very low compression. THey are pulling out the engine today to see what is all damaged. Hopefully not the cylinder walls. I can deal with replacing rods and pistons. I might update with some pictures if i go by the shop in a couple of days.

BRIGHT RED
    2002 FIREHAWK

That really stinks man. Hope everything works out for you.

Bombguy99Z28
    actually, worst case scenario is the block could be damaged.

SSslow
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombguy99Z28
    actually, worst case scenario is the block could be damaged.
    Yeah, i went by the shop today and the worst that could happen has happened lol. Short block is cracked over the starter for about 2inches. Any ideas on where to buy a good budget forged 346 short block ?

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

Quote Originally Posted by BIG D's SS
    I would buy a new short block and do it yourself. .
    not as easy as oe might think being the engine comes out from the bottom.a thought that scares the hell out of me!you better have "an excellent set of tools"

Black
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 14 GMC

Quote Originally Posted by SSslow
    dealer quoted me 2gs for the labor at least. I dont know. I dont trust dealer rebuilds.
    I had my 98 Z re-built at the dealer in Dallas when it blew. Trust me, its not that hard to re-build a stock LS1, I just got dont doing it. Besides, thats a good deal for 2k. My whole thing cost $6,500, but my warrenty covered it. Sorry to hear about your trouble though.

Thread Information