Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Tail Light Out & More :(

So yesterday my friend was following me home, and she comments to me that my driver side tail light was out (stop light). I figured (ok...just check the usuall components) Well I went straight for the bulb, and seen that it was fine. After that I went to the fuse box to see if the fuse was blown, and it wasn't. So my question is what could be wrong with my stop light? Anyone who has any knowledge on this please help before I get one of those gay fix it tickets. Another thing is my girlfriend came in from Japan, and I had to drive her to visit her friend in Ohio, and I live in D.C. So after driving there and back I put some good mileage on the SS (but found out it actually gets pretty good gas mileage hahaha...go figure) Now there is this rumbling in the back once I get to 60mph-70mph. It doesn't rumble however at any speeds less or more really....just in between those. I have had the car for almost a year and never changed the rear differential fluid, and don't know if the previous owner changed it either. I looked under the car and there is a leak from the rear differential...I know that much. Doesn't look to be a huge leak, but goes down towards the driveshaft area more then the back of the differential housing. Just looking for help, so I can get these issues resolved asap without damaging it further. thanks.

Red
    02 35th Ann.SS Camaro

Not good

Sounds like low fluid from a pinion seal leak.

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Aren't pinion seal leaks common among the F-bodies? I kind of hope it isn't a pinion seal leak...The vibration though...is that my gears going bad?

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

for the light, try putting a brick or something on the brake pedal to turn your brakes lights on. Then wiggle the bulb around the socket. I had mine wiggle loose a little once and had to reposition it. I believe the little connectors expand out some over time and can cause a not solid connection Also check to make sure your blinkers are still blinking. dual filament can work on one and not the other.

1994 Z28 MQBM
    2001 SS #1629 LPM

The filament can have a break in it without showing the signs of being blown. As far as the rear, I would pull the cover and check the teeth. When you have a vibration or sound at certain speeds or rpms it is usually a sign of gears gone bad. I had this problem in my wife's Trailblazer and found 7 teeth in the bottom of the case. 1 off the ring and 6 off the pinion. If you dont find teeth it is possible to be bearings as well. It is just process of elimination.
    www.fquick.com/ntimid8r7

www.cccfonline.com

Triple H Coating
    Specializing in Powder and Ceramic Coating
    steve@triplehcoating.com
    www.triplehcoating.com

NBM
    1998 Z-28

Check power and ground to the bulb, it could be blown and not show signs of it

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

i had the same problem beside the rumble at that speed i got it at low rpm take offs and my diff cover and pinion seall were leakin, wen we changed it it was pretty dirty put some nice lucas in it, make sure u tighten the pinion nut down as far as it can go!!!! i think that had to do with my rear end blwoing up and had to get a new one installed

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Well I was able to find out that it was the bulb that was the problem. It was really hard to notice but there was this little black hairline mark on it, so I guess it was defective. Also noticed that the rear light looks like the front blinker light bulb. I used to have trouble with my front blinker lights so I had a spare bulb from replacing them numerous times. Anyways made the swap, and viola! success... As for the rear diff...going to change the fluid this weekend. I guess if there is any teeth at the bottom I know what that means unfortunately.

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

By the way what is some good differential fluid to put in? I was looking at Mobil 1, but you know they are alittle pricy. Anyone know any cheaper fluid that works just a great or possibly better?

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

DONT TIGHTEN THE PINION ALL THE WAY it will destroy your gears mark where it is now and mark it so you can see it good then when your done changeing the seal line up your marks

Thread Information