View Poll Results: t-tops SS or convertable w/ tannue covers and styling bar?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • T-tops

88 74.58%
  • convertable w/ tannue covers and styling bar

33 27.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sunset Orange Metallic
    01 Super Sexy SS

T-tops SS or convertable w/ tannue covers and styling bar?

I am getting an SS in a few weeks. I am debating about T-tops or convertable. What do you guys think? Any one have pics of Ls1 convertable SS's w/ tanue covers(speedster), a styling bar and a bodykit together?

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

I just bought a one owner 99 SS vert M6 with 70k miles for $10,500. I've had both T-tops and now this vert. With a convertible you just drop the top an go. With T-tops you gotta take em off, stow them away, get them back out and fit them on. Try not to scratch them up or drop them. Don't get me wrong T-tops are great. You just have to put a little more effort into them. You'll feel the wind and get a sun burnt face with both. Convertible has a trunk lid while T's have the big glasss hatchback. Personally I like the trunk lid. I think a toneau cover would look wierd. Best pic I have right now is in my public file if you click on my name. Still trying to figure out how to post pics.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

The vert is great with the top down, but looks like crap with the top up. However, if you want to do a lot of cruising with the wind in your hair, etc., especially on the interstates, get a vert.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

IMO a Vert Camaro looks like a Sebring with the top down. Although not so much if it's a SS. Some people like that look and that's ok, but I'm to crazy about it. The style bar makes me think of Vanilla Ice rollin' in his 5.0... T-Tops all the way!!!

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

From a performance stand point, T-tops is better. T-top car weighs less. My vert is 4346 lbs. I can tell a difference in acceleration since I've had both. My vert isn't for beating on tho, more of a cruiser for me anyway. I am thinking about gears tho. I think toneau covers and style bars for camaros look like ass. Light bars and stuff look way better on cobras I must admit. Besides, save the coin and put into performance upgrades.

Ugly but well hung, A-10 SS#1531's Avatar
    1998 Camaro SS M6 Hardtop

I don't think there is a single car out there that I would want the vert version over the coupe, except maybe the Aston Martin DB9. But with T-tops you get the best of both worlds, the look of a coupe and the open air of a vert. T-tops all the way!

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Opinions will always vary. T-tops catch wind in the back seat and act like a parachute if you ask me. Just ask the ladies what they want to be seen in. My wife likes the vert waaaay better than T-tops.
    Last edited by Huskerz1; 04-23-2006 at 12:03 PM.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1
    Opinions will always vary. T-tops catch wind in the back seat and act like a parachute if you ask me. Just ask the ladies what they want to be seen in. My wife likes the vert waaaay better than T-tops.
    not so, hardly any air comes in through the tops. take the tops off and roll up the windows in the rain, and it won't even get wet inside when you are moving. . . .done it

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    not so, hardly any air comes in through the tops. take the tops off and roll up the windows in the rain, and it won't even get wet inside when you are moving. . . .done it
    Ya maybe so with WINDOWS UP. On nice days with T-tops off WINDOWS DOWN, kids get blown away in the back. Where does the air exit? It's trapped. Just my experience.
    Last edited by Huskerz1; 04-23-2006 at 01:22 PM.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

does that with tops on and windows down

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

does that with tops on and windows down
    Alright already. Just for the sake of ending the side issue I'll say your right. There is absolutely not one ounce of air flow from the T-TOPS that gets caught in the back(cough cough). You should theoretically run the same 1/4 time with your tops off and windows up as you would with tops on and windows up right? You should try it. And if you do then I'll be the first to admit

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Alright already. Just for the sake of ending the side issue I'll say your right. There is absolutely not one ounce of air flow from the T-TOPS that gets caught in the back(cough cough). You should theoretically run the same 1/4 time with your tops off and windows up as you would with tops on and windows up right? You should try it. And if you do then I'll be the first to admit
    you should run the same time. I'm not trying to argue, but it's called aerodynamics, it doesn't just mean pointy in the front it's much more complex than that. The area directly above the roof of the car is actually a low pressure area, inside the car is at atmospheric pressure level. Due to the interior being at a higher pressure than the roof of the vehicle thanks to the overall shape of the car, air doesn't flow in through the t-tops significantly when you are moving. take off the t-tops and drive in the rain. . .your back seats WON'T get wet, it doesn't rain into the car when you are moving. Find someone to run with the tops off, they will run the same time. It's the same principle that makes a convertible top bubble up on the highway even if it isn't leaking, the low pressure above the vehicle and the higher pressure inside the vehicle pushes the top outward

Sunset Orange Metallic
    01 Super Sexy SS

I had a 94Z t-tops and loved it only thing I didnt like was when I had my t tops off and I picked up high speed I would get a vibration inside. kinda scared me sometimes. Other than that thought it was sexy as hell.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

you should run the same time. I'm not trying to argue, but it's called aerodynamics, it doesn't just mean pointy in the front it's much more complex than that. The area directly above the roof of the car is actually a low pressure area, inside the car is at atmospheric pressure level. Due to the interior being at a higher pressure than the roof of the vehicle thanks to the overall shape of the car, air doesn't flow in through the t-tops significantly when you are moving. take off the t-tops and drive in the rain. . .your back seats WON'T get wet, it doesn't rain into the car when you are moving. Find someone to run with the tops off, they will run the same time. It's the same principle that makes a convertible top bubble up on the highway even if it isn't leaking, the low pressure above the vehicle and the higher pressure inside the vehicle pushes the top outward
    I believe you just contradicted yourself. Yes I agree the area above the roof is a low pressure point. I also believe the interior with windows up would have the same atmospheric pressure as if you were just standing on the street watching me zoom by in my vert. Atmospheric pressure has alot to do with altitude. F-bodies aren't sealed tin cans with pressure. nobody in a F-body needs a breathing mask, yet. Now, that low pressure point above the open T-tops would cause the jet stream racing above to dip in alittle and then back up out of the low pressure area thus causing that jet stream of air to produce wind drag on the back side of the T-tops roof. Maybe rain won't get in but there IS wind drag there which in turn should cause a slower time slip and an accumulation of air in the hatch back area.
    Hey, when I was 23 I knew it all too. Well now I'm 36 and a war later. I think I'll let you know it all cuz I've already seen it all.

1966 Corvette Coupe

camaros dont look good in vert version... and the top bubbles pretty bad going down the road in a vert (looks pretty stupid) vert tops have to be replace (what every 5 years or so) and with a t top if you want quiet... put the tops on... get in a vert and runn down the interstate with the top up... still loud as hell... not to mention the fact you cant ever leave anything nice in a vert or ppl will just slice your top...

t's all the way...

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by predator
    camaros dont look good in vert version... and the top bubbles pretty bad going down the road in a vert (looks pretty stupid) vert tops have to be replace (what every 5 years or so) and with a t top if you want quiet... put the tops on... get in a vert and runn down the interstate with the top up... still loud as hell... not to mention the fact you cant ever leave anything nice in a vert or ppl will just slice your top...

t's all the way...
    The looks are your opinion. My top looks brand new BTW. It's all about the care giver. Verts get all the looks from people. Hold there value better. Catch more wind on road trip. No blind spot with top down. Road noise? The only thing I hear is my LM and it's fine with me. Bubble top? Ya maybe so. But I can't see it, so who gives a fuck what you think about that. As for people messing with your ride. So what are you trying to say there? That happens wether it's a vert or not. Ya, leave your vert parked at the strip joint, you get your top sliced. Takes common sense and a sense of responsibility mostly. Kinda irresponsible comments about a vert coming from someone who has a FRC. Probably never owned a Vert. This is my 3rd.

1966 Corvette Coupe

your right i havent owned a vert, but thats because i dont like them...

been around them quite a bit... jeeps (horrid tops but an unsually bad top), vert trans ams... vert stangs (still have to get out of the car because the top wasnt trained right and it creases bad... so you have to get out and manually fold it at some key bends)...

no blind spot when the top is down, but when its up... might as well be looking at a 13 inch tv... not to say that the FRC isnt just as bad, but im not trying to use that point to make a point...

and i really dont think the hassle of removing 2 t tops is really that big of a deal... takes what 15 seconds...

and comming from somone that has a trunk instead of the big ass glass hatch... much rather have the hatch... i have a huge trunk, but i cant get anything in it... and try throwing a couple of subs in an f bod vert... you will never use your trunk again... bud of mine had a drop top ws6 with 2 10's in the trunk and ill totally agree he didnt optomize the space like he could, but you coudl barely get a back pack in the trunk...

-me

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

I'm 36. I don't need subs anymore. Anyways I respect your opinion about verts. A vert vs T-top feud just sucks. It's like arguing with your brother or something. I've had both and enjoyed them. Just happen to want a vert right now at this stage in my life.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Here ya go. She's quite dirty because I just bought it and had to driver her home in a sprinkle. That little burn out mark ain't mine. Made buy some POS mustang in the hood. Better pics are comming soon.
    Last edited by Huskerz1; 04-28-2006 at 11:17 AM.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Here ya go. She's quite dirty because I just bought it and had to driver her home in a sprinkle. That little burn out mark ain't mine. Made buy some POS mustang in the hood. Better pics are comming soon.
    very nice ride. good choice.

Thread Information