pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Suspension sags?

I just noticed that my rear, right of my car sags nearly an inch, only by that tire. The shocks have been checked and so have the springs. What is left that could be causing something like this. Also important: This car has NEVER been to the track and is occasionally driven hard, but as much as you can get away with on public roads.
    Any suggestions?

Red
    2000 SS

Need some additional info:

How many miles. Are you the original owner. Do you have any aftermarket parts (SFCs, LCAs, springs/shocks, etc)

Onyx Black
    00 SS Camaro

I have the same problem with my car. On the right side it sags alomost an inch lower than the left side. Didn't really noticed it until i lowered the car, haven't really checked the shocks. I was goinig to replace the rear shocks soon anyway. Maybe that will fix my problem, we'll see what happens. Is your car lowered?

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

This is a real common problems with f-body's. My 87' IROC and 91 Z28 did the same thing. We tend to see this more in t-top cars. Mostly due to chassis flex from the engine. Mono-chassis cars (f-body) are stamped out like Lego's from GM. As cool as we think these vehicle's are, they are still mass produced items that are subject to faulty design. Sadly there really isn't any fix other then having the frame pulled or installing larger strings on the right side. When I got my 02' SS, I immediately had diamond sub frame connectors installed. 50k and no sag.

pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

More details on my car: I have lowered it with the mild set of springs (roughly 1 inch drop) and installed the single adjustable Koni's. I have had sub-frame connectors on for at least 25K miles now. My car has a total of 41K miles on it. I also noticed the sag after changing the springs. I just assumed it is now easier to see because the tires sit much closer to the fenders.
    One of you mentioned that you were going to change your shocks soon. To my knowledge, I have been told that the shocks do not determine ride height, the springs do, so I would expect this will have no affect. I also had the company I got the lowered springs from, to send me two new ones and this had absolutely no affect.
    Thank you for the feedback, I was hoping someone knew of a simple fix.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

You could take the car to a collision repair shop and have the frame tested to see if its bent at all. Not sure what that costs. Some companies like H&R will build you custom springs that might solve the sag issue. But remember to have the alignment checked because you are changing the geometry and may have other problems in store.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

Here is another tip. If you had the sub-frame connector installing on the standard 4-post lift you will twick the chassis. I learned this the hard way, then I have a bubble under the floor board or a camaro I once had. The car needs to be on a alignment rack resting on all four tires not the frame becuase if you have then installed that way the frame will bow.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Your whole problem with the car is that you lowered it and did not mention anything about an adjustable panhard bar. When you lower a car it shifts the rear to the left and causes it to sag. Put an adjustable panhard bar on there and center your car back over the rear and problem solved.

pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Your whole problem with the car is that you lowered it and did not mention anything about an adjustable panhard bar. When you lower a car it shifts the rear to the left and causes it to sag. Put an adjustable panhard bar on there and center your car back over the rear and problem solved.
    I was thinking about that piece, but wasn't sure what it's purpose was. If that's how I can fix it, that's great. That also means, if I go back to the stock springs, the sag should go away, right? The lowered ride is too harsh for me.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Try going back to stock. It sounds like something went wrong in the spring installation.

Camaro

Make sure you have the springs installed properly. The bottom of the spring where it is cut faces to the front of the car. If they are not in this position you will have the sagging problem you have now.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG D's SS View Post
    I agree with Big D. It sounds like that's your problem unless you have some extensive damage. Almost all f-bodies sag on the driver's side if you look closely, and the adjustable panhard rod should fix your problem. Check out our website at http://www.granatellimotorsports.com and check out our panhard rods. Hope this helps.

Black
    99 Z28

I have stock springs and shocks. No mods at all and the right side is lower than the left.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

The right rear is always lower on the F Body cars, was made this way. When a person is sitting in the drivers seat it evens out the sides. Measure the wheel well with someone sitting in the car.

Thread Information