Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 65

Stock maro what should i get 1st to increase hp

This is a discussion on Stock maro what should i get 1st to increase hp within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; i got an 02 ss just got flows and an hp tuning, what do u all suggest for me to ...

  1. #1
    Renns badboy10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eagle Pass, Austin TX
    Age
    27
    Posts
    83

    Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

    Stock maro what should i get 1st to increase hp

    i got an 02 ss just got flows and an hp tuning, what do u all suggest for me to go first with to increase some horsepower

  2. #2
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Lid, Headers and an ORY (depending on emissions laws in your state)

  3. #3
    Member F-my-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Midlothian Virginia
    Posts
    271

    Black
    2002 Z28

    i have a bone stock camaro also , subscribed

  4. #4
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Both of you already have the LS6 intake from the factory
    Like i already stated get a lid, keep the stock maf, p&p your throttle body, Headers and exhaust

    ...and a tune by frost

  5. #5
    Renns badboy10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eagle Pass, Austin TX
    Age
    27
    Posts
    83

    Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Both of you already have the LS6 intake from the factory
    Like i already stated get a lid, keep the stock maf, p&p your throttle body, Headers and exhaust

    ...and a tune by frost
    alright thx for the suggestions...
    u got any idea about how much green itll take
    and who gives a crap bout state emission laws

  6. #6
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by badboy10 View Post
    alright thx for the suggestions...
    u got any idea about how much green itll take
    and who gives a crap bout state emission laws
    Whats your budget
    Lid is around $100
    headers depends on your budget
    ebay ones start at around 175 to better brand up closer to 1k

    Depending on how handy you are you can port and polish your TB for free

  7. #7
    Member F-my-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Midlothian Virginia
    Posts
    271

    Black
    2002 Z28

    ( noob here )

    what do you mean by a lid?

    and how much much could you get from P&P your TB?

  8. #8
    Member zmg00camaross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    764

    pewter
    2000 camaro ss

    Quote Originally Posted by F-my-body View Post
    ( noob here )

    what do you mean by a lid?

    and how much much could you get from P&P your TB?
    The lid is what house the air filter. The factory one has baffles that causes a restriction. when replace with aftermarket it gains a some hp. And for the throttle body you dont get alot of hp from it but is worth throttle response and a little power maybe a little more since you have a nice factory intake manifold.

  9. #9
    Member F-my-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Midlothian Virginia
    Posts
    271

    Black
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by zmg00camaross View Post
    The lid is what house the air filter. The factory one has baffles that causes a restriction. when replace with aftermarket it gains a some hp. And for the throttle body you dont get alot of hp from it but is worth throttle response and a little power maybe a little more since you have a nice factory intake manifold.
    hmmm you would tihnky chevy would have thought to of not put the baffles in the way.is there any reason why they did that and what if you just cut them off or shave them down?i mean im not sure what they look like but maybe some handy work can do it?

  10. #10
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by F-my-body View Post
    hmmm you would tihnky chevy would have thought to of not put the baffles in the way.is there any reason why they did that and what if you just cut them off or shave them down?i mean im not sure what they look like but maybe some handy work can do it?
    The stock one also has that second unit to keep noise down. Its also a restriction, an SLP lid is the way to go, if your cheap snap the tabs off the inside of the stock one and sand it smooth, may net you 2hp

  11. #11
    Member 4thGenTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    farmington
    Posts
    181

    black
    2002 firebird trans am

    yeah you can get a dremel tool and some sand paper, then cut out the baffles in the air intake lid, also port and polish your throttle body and maf, and do a tune up on all your oils and change your plugs and wires.

  12. #12
    Member F-my-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Midlothian Virginia
    Posts
    271

    Black
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by 4thGenTA View Post
    yeah you can get a dremel tool and some sand paper, then cut out the baffles in the air intake lid, also port and polish your throttle body and maf, and do a tune up on all your oils and change your plugs and wires.


    and after alll that id probably get wha? 5horses?hahah and how much is a lid and how exactly do you port and polish a TB

  13. #13
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by F-my-body View Post
    and after alll that id probably get wha? 5horses?hahah and how much is a lid and how exactly do you port and polish a TB
    If you look at the stock TB, the opening gets smaller and then opens up a little towards the blade, what you can do is use a dremel and remove this hump which goes around the TB. You can go to finer and finer bits to get the finish smooth again. Make sure not to grind down the area where blade sits because you may end up with idle issues.

    have to be careful so not to set the SES light on this one but you can also do this
    http://www.installuniversity.com/ins..._bump_stop.htm

  14. #14
    Member F-my-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Midlothian Virginia
    Posts
    271

    Black
    2002 Z28

    so your not actually making the TB bigger your making the little thing that turns sideways thinner?

  15. #15
    Member 4thGenTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    farmington
    Posts
    181

    black
    2002 firebird trans am

    you probably get 5-10hp, but will have a lot better throttle response.

  16. #16
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by F-my-body View Post
    so your not actually making the TB bigger your making the little thing that turns sideways thinner?
    No, you also grind down the inside of the throttle body to make the opening bigger

    Best way i can explain it, stock the TB is like a funnel, it goes from big to smaller to a little bigger where the blade is, then out back
    Porting it get rid of the hump inside where the opening gets smaller than the actual blade itself. You want a smooth transition from the opening to the blade to give the throttle body a smooth funnel shape
    compare yours to this one, or buy it if you have the cash
    if you actually look at yours you will see what i mean

  17. #17
    Senior Member Z28Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, Ok
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,542

    Arctic White
    2000 Z28

    SFC's.... Sub Frame Connectors.. Do that before you do anything else.. Then think about perfomance mods..

  18. #18
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    SFC's.... Sub Frame Connectors.. Do that before you do anything else.. Then think about perfomance mods..
    from the ground up

  19. #19
    Member F-my-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Midlothian Virginia
    Posts
    271

    Black
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    SFC's.... Sub Frame Connectors.. Do that before you do anything else.. Then think about perfomance mods..
    ohhh whats that?


    and thank for the help! but one more how much would a new lid be and would it be easier to just get a enw one or sand down the baffles?

  20. #20
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by F-my-body View Post
    ohhh whats that?


    and thank for the help! but one more how much would a new lid be and would it be easier to just get a enw one or sand down the baffles?
    New lid is about 100.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mandated HC won't mean Tax increase...
    By FORD RECOVERY EXPERT in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2009, 12:23 PM
  2. HP increase with Pacesetters?
    By Eagle in forum External Engine
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-24-2007, 01:16 PM
  3. Calif wants to increase gas tax?
    By 98MustGT in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-10-2006, 11:51 PM
  4. ls1 427 with mpg increase.
    By jonwrob in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2006, 07:41 PM
  5. Cam/Head increase
    By Harrison in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-31-2006, 07:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •