Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock 2002 SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS SLP

Cool Stock 2002 SS

I absolutely love my car in everyway its a 2002 ss slp susp. center exhst M6 and t-tops, blk on blk i have the annv rims on just because i won them of a crazy game of tx hold'em i do have the 5-spoke chrome ss wheels, although i got my project car which is a 1967 Ford Mustang fastback. I just broke up with my GF, i'm 21 and i want to beef up my car. I was thinking of an LS6 cam? headers? subframe connectors? Possibly a chip? Any idea on what would be good, i mean i want to have power but also want to control my car. any comments would be awesome.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 20'02CamaroSS View Post
    I absolutely love my car in everyway its a 2002 ss slp susp. center exhst M6 and t-tops, blk on blk i have the annv rims on just because i won them of a crazy game of tx hold'em i do have the 5-spoke chrome ss wheels, although i got my project car which is a 1967 Ford Mustang fastback. I just broke up with my GF, i'm 21 and i want to beef up my car. I was thinking of an LS6 cam? headers? subframe connectors? Possibly a chip? Any idea on what would be good, i mean i want to have power but also want to control my car. any comments would be awesome.
    well first off the ls6 cam is going to be a waste of time. You can get a lot more power out of a different cam and still have the streetability.

LSx cars don't get "chipped" they get tuned. either mail order or dyno tune

How FAST do you want to go?
    How much Power?
    How much Money do you have?
    Are you doing the work?
    etc...

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS SLP

I would like to do the work But I was thinking a good 1200. What do you think?

408 ci + 4000 stall = fun lancesT/A's Avatar

red
    2002 SS

u can get a good cam for around 400 and installed about the same but then ur gonna need a custom tune to see the best performance tune is around 400 welll that takes up ur 1200 but ull feel a big difference with a cam but u also should get lts and ory when u get a chance and maybe some gears

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Welcome from a local Ca member, first off Pics. Secondly do you intend to stay smog legal? If not then it is a matter of how mild or biggest donkey dick the cam is going to be A mild but underestimated cam the 224 112lsa with milled and ported stock heads will net you anywhere from 390rwhp-420 depending on how much you spend on the heads. I have heard alot of good things about the ebay headers ( 1.they are cheap$225,2.they are stainless steel so they won't pit like ceramic) so if you want to do the most with what you have they are nice option.

For handling sfc's are nice because there are horror stories of the frame warping, I haven't installed them but it's a good idea. Relocation brackets and polyurethane lower control arms will eliminate wheel hop, and if you decide to lower the car then an adjustable panhard rod will re-center the axle.

When you do cam what they won't ell you is you should get is an oil pump and a timing chain, lifters, and lifter trays. What you do need on top of those is valve springs, pushrods, and head gaskets if you pull off the heads.
    Last edited by c5z28; 06-01-2009 at 07:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Look at her Moms ass.....it is more accurate than a crystal ball.....is this where I wanna be in 25 years
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Oh I forgot. You kids invented sex/drugs and rock n roll. We just wandered around holding our dicks waiting for you punk ass blowhards to come along and tell us what to do.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

i went through all that same stuff and i ended up with a stroker. so thats what i am going to suggest

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    i went through all that same stuff and i ended up with a stroker. so thats what i am going to suggest

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 20'02CamaroSS View Post
    I would like to do the work But I was thinking a good 1200. What do you think?
    Well if its completely stock, that budget will get you the basic bolt ons. Start with a CAI of your choosing then then some longtube headers and nice catback exhaust. You should then consider your suspension and chassis... ie torque arm, subframe connectors, lower control arms etc. and then move on to the weakest links of the car before beefing it up. New rear end would be good, and then move on to the internal engine. I did it ass backwards and regret it! Should have done my clutch and rear first before the cam! There are literally thousands of set ups you can accomplish, it all depends on your overall budget and plans for the car. I've sunk around $9k into mine so far, in three years, so plan on saving some stew!

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

If you have 1200 to spend and the car is bone stock you shouldnt be doing a cam swap. Get some nice long tubes-300-400, lid, the center exhaust flows nice so it should be good for now. A tune-300-400 and if i were you i woudl get gears, somewhere in the 3.73-4.10 range. Then next step is heads and cam.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Where in cali do you live?

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS SLP

Sacramento county

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    If you have 1200 to spend and the car is bone stock you shouldnt be doing a cam swap. Get some nice long tubes-300-400, lid, the center exhaust flows nice so it should be good for now. A tune-300-400 and if i were you i woudl get gears, somewhere in the 3.73-4.10 range. Then next step is heads and cam.
    I agree 100%.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Well if its completely stock, that budget will get you the basic bolt ons. Start with a CAI of your choosing then then some longtube headers and nice catback exhaust. You should then consider your suspension and chassis... ie torque arm, subframe connectors, lower control arms etc. and then move on to the weakest links of the car before beefing it up. New rear end would be good, and then move on to the internal engine. I did it ass backwards and regret it! Should have done my clutch and rear first before the cam! There are literally thousands of set ups you can accomplish, it all depends on your overall budget and plans for the car. I've sunk around $9k into mine so far, in three years, so plan on saving some stew!
    If you want to play, you have to pay is the saying....
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

I do not live in California, so I am unfamiliar with what and what cannot be put on your car and still pass emission testing.

With that said and a budget of $1200 on a completely stock 2002, I would suggest looking at a Nitrous kit. Best bang for the buck and if your car is stock, you should only need to go 1 or 2 steps colder with spark plugs to realize a 50 to 125 or so horsepower gain.

I am making this suggestion based on some unknowns such as having the following all in good condition; motor, fuel pump, fuel injectors, ignition and fuel filter.

This way, you have the extra power only when you want/need it and have a stock running car with great driving abilities and stock gas mileage when you do not need the power.

I am guessing that a good, quality Nitrous system would cost under $700 and you can install it yourself. With the $500 left over, use that money towards a new set of rear tires and future Nitrous bottle refills.

Also note that whatever upgrade path you choose, you will be placing extra stress on your stock components such as your clutch, transmission and 10 bolt rear. Hopefully nothing will break or degrade on you, but keep those components in mind for down the road upgrades.

Good Luck and enjoy your modified car, regardless of which upgrade you choose.

Jeff

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS SLP

What about getting subframe connectors which I saw on summit slp Bolton for 280. What about cutouts? Or another Bolton?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would get weld-in SFCs and not from SLP either....

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Speed is just a question of money. How fast can you go?

1st thing I'd do (and did to the last 3 cars I've had) is some weld in SFC's. Bolt on ones tend to get loose and become ineffective.

DO NOT, under any circumstances, use any SLP parts as there are better parts available for less coinage.

As stated above, "How fast can you go?"
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 06-16-2009 at 06:39 PM.

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS SLP

What kind brand sfc would be recommended? What do you guys think of electric cutout exhaust, I only say that because mustangs come by me with there loud exhaust, which is meaningless cause my car is stock and still beat them.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I like my BMR products. UMI is also very good. Depends on what you want to spend I guess. There are plenty of existing threads on here that talk about all of the products you are looking at. Use the search function and you'll probably find more than you will ever be able to read.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    DO NOT, under any circumstances, use any SLP parts as there are better parts available for less coinage.

Stay away from those aftermarket parts.

Get bolt-ons.
    Longtube headers, airbox lid.

Maybe some suspension bits.
    Subframe connectors are a GREAT mod for these cars. Strut tower braces are not.
    Want to lower it?? Get in touch with Strano and get his springs.

Don't know if $1200 will be enough to get into a cam set-up.
    If you decide to cam it, don't do the LS6 cam. Since you are in there putting in a cam, get yourself something that will really bump up the overall powerband by a good amount of power. Texas Speed has a GREAT driver cam in their 228R.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Thread Information