Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Are Stang Guys High?

This is a discussion on Are Stang Guys High? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones It's either extremely mild or something wrong with it. 347's around here are pretty stout, with ...

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It's either extremely mild or something wrong with it. 347's around here are pretty stout, with a reputable machine shop building them and a good set of heads with the right camshaft they are pretty stout around here.

Comparing to an LS1, although same cubic inch,,,,they are worlds apart in design.

But before this discussion gets into all that,,,,my real point was that you don't really know what to expect around here. Quite frankly even that 13.0 mustang you speak of could take down a stock or very mild LS1.
    You just don't know what you run into around here. Plenty of 11 second mustangs running around here, and even 12 second stangs that would clean my clock if driving my LS1 camaro.

Not saying I disagree, cause I have seen many stangs at the track running 11's, 12's no problem. I asked him what it ran when he first had it built and he told me it should run low 12's, which I thought sounded alright...I saw him recently and he said he runs 12.8x with it. The reason I listed 13.00's was because a very close friend of his told me that is his best run, so that's why I was I was questioning ability of the car/driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I have never met an fbody owner that had that same attitude.
    LOL,,,you are exactly right Y2K,,,there are just as many Fbody owners to go around with the same attitude....

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    Not saying I disagree, cause I have seen many stangs at the track running 11's, 12's no problem. I asked him what it ran when he first had it built and he told me it should run low 12's, which I thought sounded alright...I saw him recently and he said he runs 12.8x with it. The reason I listed 13.00's was because a very close friend of his told me that is his best run, so that's why I was I was questioning ability of the car/driver.
    Ya you're right, depends on who's driving it,,,,who's tuning it etc....

10's N/A

It's either extremely mild or something wrong with it. 347's around here are pretty stout, with a reputable machine shop building them and a good set of heads with the right camshaft they are pretty stout around here.
    I've seen numerous 331 and 347 stroker stangs that run in the 13's. Most people think because it's a 347 it will automatically dip into the 11's. Not true. You can't just do that simply with cubic inches. It takes a good combo on top of that. That 13.0 347 Stroker in that SN95 would be a mid-12 second or better car in a gutted LX notch though.

Ya you're right, depends on who's driving it,,,,who's tuning it etc....
    Similar to what your saying about your buddies car, I saw a guy at Sac Raceway with a '95 Mustang. It had a 331 stroker, E-cam, Cobra heads, lots of nick nacks, EQ length shorties w/ 3.73's. He was in the 13.5's all night. When you think about it, that's actually pretty good for a car that typically runs 15.1-15.3 in the low 90's stock.
    Last edited by N20LT4; 05-31-2008 at 06:15 PM.

Black
    2000 Z-28

LOL,,,you are exactly right Y2K,,,there are just as many Fbody owners to go around with the same attitude....
    There are assholes everywhere but since I've owned both I can say without a doubt that I'd choose my Z28 10 times out of 10 over the mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    I've seen numerous 331 and 347 stroker stangs that run in the 13's. Most people think because it's a 347 it will automatically dip into the 11's. Not true.
    Just to show a counter example, a good friend of mine has a 331 that runs deep in the 10s. I don't recall the whole combo but I know it has TFS heads, a solid roller cam, and it DOES run on pump gas. Full weight 91 LX.

A lot of people read magazines and think that just because such-and-such magazine said if you bolt X and Y together you get Z, that anybody can do it and get the same results. As you know, it's all about the combo, the tuning, and the driving. There are lots of stupid Mustang guys out there just like there are plenty of knuckle draggers building small block Chevies.

Now on a lighter note, I ran into one Stang Girl tonight grabbin gears in a 99-04 GT. I laid on the throttle to show her what the SS would do and when I pulled up next to her at the next light she laughed and said "nuh-uh." Guess there's at least one out there who isn't high.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by shiftless View Post
    Just to show a counter example, a good friend of mine has a 331 that runs deep in the 10s. I don't recall the whole combo but I know it has TFS heads, a solid roller cam, and it DOES run on pump gas. Full weight 91 LX.

A lot of people read magazines and think that just because such-and-such magazine said if you bolt X and Y together you get Z, that anybody can do it and get the same results. As you know, it's all about the combo, the tuning, and the driving. There are lots of stupid Mustang guys out there just like there are plenty of knuckle draggers building small block Chevies.

Now on a lighter note, I ran into one Stang Girl tonight grabbin gears in a 99-04 GT. I laid on the throttle to show her what the SS would do and when I pulled up next to her at the next light she laughed and said "nuh-uh." Guess there's at least one out there who isn't high.
    Agreed.

It's funny how nowadays I see a lot more woman than men now driving the 99-04 GT's.

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    I've seen numerous 331 and 347 stroker stangs that run in the 13's. Most people think because it's a 347 it will automatically dip into the 11's. Not true. You can't just do that simply with cubic inches. It takes a good combo on top of that. That 13.0 347 Stroker in that SN95 would be a mid-12 second or better car in a gutted LX notch though.

Similar to what your saying about your buddies car, I saw a guy at Sac Raceway with a '95 Mustang. It had a 331 stroker, E-cam, Cobra heads, lots of nick nacks, EQ length shorties w/ 3.73's. He was in the 13.5's all night. When you think about it, that's actually pretty good for a car that typically runs 15.1-15.3 in the low 90's stock.
    Those slower cars in the 13's such as the one you just described are very mild combo's though. I wouldn't expect a car with only 3.73's and shorty headers with the small E-cam and cobra heads to be much faster.

Most of them in my area are heavy hitters with large rollers, AFR, trickflow heads etc....

NBM
    2001 CAMARO

My brother has a 92 lx coupe

:3.55 gears

:255 gph pump

:full exhaust x pipe 1 5/8 headders

:tremec 5 speed w/ adj quadrant,and King cobra clutch

:Keith Craft 331 balanced / forged / rotating assy with trick flow head cam and intake package.
    : 36lb injectors, 85mm mass air and throttle body, 1.6 rockers

: electric fans , under drive pulleys, aluminum radiator .

Any how he has never put any sticky tires on the car, and an 8.82 in the 1/8 mile is the best pass he has ever made in the car.

my 93 speed density trans am with a130k mile lt1 6 speed ran 8.80,s bone stock with the stock clutch on street tires.

so he goes on to explain to me when I get tires that will hook I will be in the 7.60 range with no other mods, I ask hows that,he says because my 60' times are so bad, they were 1.91's . I agree a good set of tires will pick him up , but my 60' times were in the 2.02 range , and sticky tires only netted me an 8.59. in the trans am.

I guess people who have a fast car on paper are more satisfied with what the think they can do instead of just doing it.

He wont put stickeys on the car for fear of breaking it, but he will spend 18k on all the stuff to supposedly make it fast.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by maxwax View Post
    My brother has a 92 lx coupe

:3.55 gears

:255 gph pump

:full exhaust x pipe 1 5/8 headders

:tremec 5 speed w/ adj quadrant,and King cobra clutch

:Keith Craft 331 balanced / forged / rotating assy with trick flow head cam and intake package.
    : 36lb injectors, 85mm mass air and throttle body, 1.6 rockers

: electric fans , under drive pulleys, aluminum radiator .

Any how he has never put any sticky tires on the car, and an 8.82 in the 1/8 mile is the best pass he has ever made in the car.

my 93 speed density trans am with a130k mile lt1 6 speed ran 8.80,s bone stock with the stock clutch on street tires.

so he goes on to explain to me when I get tires that will hook I will be in the 7.60 range with no other mods, I ask hows that,he says because my 60' times are so bad, they were 1.91's . I agree a good set of tires will pick him up , but my 60' times were in the 2.02 range , and sticky tires only netted me an 8.59. in the trans am.

I guess people who have a fast car on paper are more satisfied with what the think they can do instead of just doing it.

He wont put stickeys on the car for fear of breaking it, but he will spend 18k on all the stuff to supposedly make it fast.
    No suprise there. I've seen lots of 5-liters w/ a bunch of crap piled on top of them that don't perform up to expectations, more so than i've seen proven ones around here.

Black
    02 Z28

What? about the 400 hp Mustang?
    Shit, Ford is on the ropes, their no longer a threat to anybody. But the American automobile industry was started by Ford, and it would be sad to see the entire company disapear (most of the Ford heirs are urging the CEO to sell out to Renault or anybody who'll take it).
    I'd like to see Ford stick around as a niche company, building things like 400 horse mustangs, 550 horse GT's and muscle stuff like that.
    It'll be a major blow to American industrial pride if those cork-suckers at toyota cause the downfall of another one of the big three.
    -just my $.02

Black
    02 Z28 M6

My mechanic says he can take my stock 02 z28 m6 in his stock 03 automatic Thunderbird. This guy knows his stuff and used to race but he's a Ford mechanic. He said that tonight after a few beers. There was another Ford guy there backing him up and I just smiled. After all he was hooking me up by installing a part for me free. If I took this to the track and lined up with him shouldn't it blow right by him? I don't want to piss him off but that's just a luxury Mustang with 280 hp right?
    Last edited by ezwip; 06-01-2008 at 08:59 PM.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by ezwip View Post
    My mechanic says he can take my stock 02 z28 m6 in his stock 03 automatic Thunderbird. This guy knows his stuff and used to race but he's a Ford mechanic. He said that tonight after a few beers. There was another Ford guy there backing him up and I just smiled. After all he was hooking me up by installing a part for me free. If I took this to the track and lined up with him shouldn't it blow right by him? I don't want to piss him off but that's just a luxury Mustang with 280 hp right?
    I hope you laughed in your mechanics face when he said that. If his car is stock it has a 290-hp motor under the hood. Your Z28 will eat his ride alive.

Black
    02 Z28 M6

That's what I was thinking. His car does 0-60 in 7 seconds and this car should pull 5.3. They are both well tuned and should run strong. I'll see if he wants to put some cash up. I was going to take this by the track anyways to see what it'll do.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

The two key words in the sentances were;
    1.) After a few beers tonight
    2.) There was another Ford guy there backing him up
    Lets see Joe mechanic at the track. alone and SOBER, after you hand him his lunch. Just don't expect anymore free installs. be prepared for Ford excuses though.

Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody4ever View Post
    What I don't like about 'FBODY guys' is they all think their car is the shit. Doesn't matter if its a stock Z28, SS, or a V6, they all think their sitting on an unbeatable muscle car.
    Yes it's American, yes you get points for having a V8, but don't think that means you can beat up on everything.
    Fixed.....
    There will always be someone with a faster car...
    This is what I was going to say..

Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by ezwip View Post
    No way, the T bird has a crappy trans and is geared to be smooth.
    even if it had 350hp your car would still take him.
    the car is very heavy Curb Weight: 3775 LB
    Horsepower @ RPM: 280@6000
    Torque @ RPM: 286@4000

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
    Fixed.....
    There will always be someone with a faster car...

This is what I was going to say..
    Seriously dude, if it offends you that guys will cut on Mustangs, why the hell do you visit an LS1 site then?? I've never understood why people do that.

Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    Seriously dude, if it offends you that guys will cut on Mustangs, why the hell do you visit an LS1 site then?? I've never understood why people do that.
    I never said it offended me, all I was saying is that I hear that type of talk from all types, Mustang people think their shit is Fast, Fbod guys do the same. So cut all you want, I know better.

As far as why I am here, umm I also own a 2002 Camaro SS.. I want to learn more about it to get it running. Read my other posts I am not a camaro hater, I love all Muscle Cars.
    Yes I own a 2005 Mustang, (My First Ford) My DD is a 2000 Chevy Silverado Z71 4X4 (best truck ever made)
    I also own a chrysler product.

Last edited by 2K05GT; 06-02-2008 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
    I never said it offended me, all I was saying is that I hear that type of talk from all types, Mustang people think their shit is Fast, Fbod guys do the same. So cut all you want, I know better.

As far as why I am here, umm I also own a 2002 Camaro SS.. I want to learn more about it to get it running. Read my other posts I am not a camaro hater, I love all Muscle Cars.
    Yes I own a 2005 Mustang, (My First Ford) My DD is a 2000 Chevy Silverado Z71 4X4 (best truck ever made)
    I also own a chrysler product.

Click for full size
    Sounds cool. My kinda guy. I also own and work on all kinds of different muscle cars. Not really a hater of the other brands, I like anything V8 and driven with the rear wheels.
    But I understand where you are coming from. Alot of people say that mustang guys are arogant etc....but alot of the Fbody people as well as chrysler people are the same way. You can read in the kill section and see it all the time. To each there own,,,right?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information