Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Are Stang Guys High?

This is a discussion on Are Stang Guys High? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Good one...

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

Good one

Hey guys, I'm new here! Just thought I would chime in on this thread.. FWIW I am a Mustang guy, and I can say that most V8 Mustang guys are well aware and respectful of the LS1's potential. The exceptions being the ricers, V6 drivers, and clueless newbs whose parents bought them a GT.

But be careful guys, the problem with Mustangs is you never know what you're dealing with. For every 20 stock 5.0 with Flowmasters, there is a real strong running 'stang with serious power under the hood, and it can be hard to tell them apart. I built an '84 Mustang with a 351W a couple years back for less than $2000 including cost of car. Bone stock untouched '69 bottom-end w/ home ported heads, good cam, single plane intake, 600cfm Edelbrock carb, and Hooker headers, along with a T5 tranny. That car would FLY, whooped on a lot of folks, and I did take down a couple LS1s with it including a '00 w/ stall and a bunch of bolt-ons. Everyone always assumed it was a 302, and in fact we put a big 302 sticker on the air cleaner to complete the look.

I also have another Mustang that I have been working on; it's an '02 GT w/ a 514" big block Cadillac motor. Just took it for the first test drive the other day, and will be driving it quite a bit once I rebuild the TH400. Don't be fooled by the 4" cowl hood, it's there for a good reason!

Anyhow, sorry to hijack the thread, but I might as well mention the reason I'm here is because I was looking at an '02 SS today. It's that dark blue color w/ tan leather interior. Thought it'd make a cool daily driver that I could drive, enjoy, maybe hop up to 400-450 horsepower with some bolt ons and maybe some spray. Don't need to build another race car, just something fun and reliable that I could drive often. So tomorrow if they are able to offer me good terms on the finance I guess I'll be picking it up!
    Last edited by shiftless; 05-26-2008 at 11:07 PM.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Most non-Ford folks fail to see the extra .40" deck height of the 351 vs the 302. I happen to know the difference.

Yep, it can be difficult to see even if you are aware of the difference, unless you have looked at several of them. Especially if the motor is real dirty. This one was stuck in a '66 K-code that someone had retrofitted decades ago, obviously long before a K-code was considered particularly valuable. The car and engine looked terrible, like it had been dragged from the bottom of a river. I got the thing for $100, so I thought hell, the heads are worth that if nothing else. But when I cleaned it up, oiled the cylinders, and got it fired up, I swear it was (and is) the smoothest running motor I had ever heard. Later on when I had it apart freshening it up and doing the mods listed above, I noticed the cylinders had ZERO wear. Must have been really low mileage.

Sorry to again drag the thread off topic!!

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by shiftless View Post
    Anyhow, sorry to hijack the thread, but I might as well mention the reason I'm here is because I was looking at an '02 SS today. It's that dark blue color w/ tan leather interior. Thought it'd make a cool daily driver that I could drive, enjoy, maybe hop up to 400-450 horsepower with some bolt ons and maybe some spray. Don't need to build another race car, just something fun and reliable that I could drive often. So tomorrow if they are able to offer me good terms on the finance I guess I'll be picking it up!
    Hopefully they can get you the terms you're looking for on that SS. You won't be disappointed, trust me!

Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

Well maybe he just wanted to race, I can't beleive that he actually thought he could take you, I can take a stock SS but with mods the SS will walk all over me. But come on Most Mustang guys I know that stock for stock and mod for mod they will never take a camaro unless the camaro driver really sucks.
    Click for full size
    12.41 @ 109.35
    All Stock Motor and Tranny with Bolt-ons

Shiftless is right on target. Not sure about other areas as people are all over the country on here,,,but where I'm from it's a hot bed for mustangs.

With that said there are a ton of them running around that are extremely quick. Most of them run 347 stroker combos from the 302 block,,,,others step up to the windsor block and stroke them to 408 or more. One machine shop I deal with literally builds 3-4 347 stroker combos every week!!! They are just so cheap and easy to build..

There are many around here that click off 10 and 11 second timeslips on the motor alone,,,and are driven on the street regularly. They are great platforms to build from..

I don't know about the rest of this board,,,it seems everyone thinks mustangs are easy pickins.....but around my area you can easily bite off more than you can chew...

For every 2-3 stockish mustangs you run into around here,,,,the next one is almost always a handfull.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Shiftless is right on target. Not sure about other areas as people are all over the country on here,,,but where I'm from it's a hot bed for mustangs.

With that said there are a ton of them running around that are extremely quick. Most of them run 347 stroker combos from the 302 block,,,,others step up to the windsor block and stroke them to 408 or more. One machine shop I deal with literally builds 3-4 347 stroker combos every week!!! They are just so cheap and easy to build..

There are many around here that click off 10 and 11 second timeslips on the motor alone,,,and are driven on the street regularly. They are great platforms to build from..

I don't know about the rest of this board,,,it seems everyone thinks mustangs are easy pickins.....but around my area you can easily bite off more than you can chew...

For every 2-3 stockish mustangs you run into around here,,,,the next one is almost always a handfull.
    My buddy from high school has a 94 stang with a 347 stroker and runs 13.00's...He spent about 15k on motor, tranny, rear, and suspension....I personally think it should be a little bit faster, but it is the same cubic inch motor as an ls1 (346), just stroked from a 302 block....

Yeah, sounds like something was wrong with it. That 351 I built was very low buck and it ran 106-108 in the 1/4. The E.T. sucked due to serious traction problems w/ the stock open-diff 7.5".

Johns00Z28: Yep, I picked it up the next day! It's pretty damn quick. Can't wait to start modding it!

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    My buddy from high school has a 94 stang with a 347 stroker and runs 13.00's...He spent about 15k on motor, tranny, rear, and suspension....I personally think it should be a little bit faster, but it is the same cubic inch motor as an ls1 (346), just stroked from a 302 block....
    It's either extremely mild or something wrong with it. 347's around here are pretty stout, with a reputable machine shop building them and a good set of heads with the right camshaft they are pretty stout around here.

Comparing to an LS1, although same cubic inch,,,,they are worlds apart in design.

But before this discussion gets into all that,,,,my real point was that you don't really know what to expect around here. Quite frankly even that 13.0 mustang you speak of could take down a stock or very mild LS1.
    You just don't know what you run into around here. Plenty of 11 second mustangs running around here, and even 12 second stangs that would clean my clock if driving my LS1 camaro.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 05-30-2008 at 10:54 AM.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    for the win
    thanks!

Black
    2000 Z-28

Johns00Z28: Yep, I picked it up the next day! It's pretty damn quick. Can't wait to start modding it!
    So you actually found an unmolested and unmodified SS???

SOM
    01 Camaro SS

Buy your Wife a 5 point seatbelt and go find this fucker.

It's not *completely* unmolested/unmodified. It has a K&N, Flowmaster, and no cat. Looks like it might have had a lid but the guy took it off before he traded it in. Also, there are some clues scattered here and there that hint to me that the previous owner may have had a nitrous kit installed. That's about it though. Engine runs and pulls real strong and the car is very clean and well kept. Great one to start with for sure.

Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

It's not *completely* unmolested/unmodified. It has a K&N, Flowmaster, and no cat. Looks like it might have had a lid but the guy took it off before he traded it in. Also, there are some clues scattered here and there that hint to me that the previous owner may have had a nitrous kit installed. That's about it though. Engine runs and pulls real strong and the car is very clean and well kept. Great one to start with for sure.
    I found evidence of a nitrous kit in the 2002 SS I just bought as well, although mine is missing an engine LOL

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by rapter34 View Post
    most the stang ppl round here are smart enough to know what an LS1 will do to their cars. the idiots are the v6 Stangs and the ricers.
    idk about that, i ran across a 5.0 with a supercharger (5psi). had no idea what it had when we raced. he had 3.73s and drag radials.

i had lts, magnaflow catback, 2.73s and street tires. he pulled a car, maybe 2 on me and i was suprised myself when i found out what he had done.

he demanded i opened up the hood cuz he was so pissed i sprayed him...i barely knew what nitrous was, let alone spray him. ahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Joe00SS View Post
    And I thought he meant f*ck the wife....
    haha thats great

Black
    02 Z28

What I don't like about 'Stang guys is they all think their car is the shit. Doesn't matter if its a stock GT, Cobra, or a V6, they all think their sitting on an unbeatable muscle car.
    Yes it's American, yes you get points for having a V8, but don't think that means you can beat up on everything.
    What makes me happy is Ford looks like they're catching up, 400hp 6.2 Mustang GT for 2010!?! Finally!

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody4ever View Post
    What I don't like about 'Stang guys is they all think their car is the shit. Doesn't matter if its a stock GT, Cobra, or a V6, they all think their sitting on an unbeatable muscle car.
    Yes it's American, yes you get points for having a V8, but don't think that means you can beat up on everything.
    What makes me happy is Ford looks like they're catching up, 400hp 6.2 Mustang GT for 2010!?! Finally!
    I read 2012, and i doubt muscle cars will still being sold around then.
    Last edited by allbaugh_04; 05-31-2008 at 01:14 PM.

silver
    1998 SS Z28

lmao Thats what ya do to friends wife so he gets blamed!!!!!! LOL

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody4ever View Post
    I have never met an fbody owner that had that same attitude.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information