Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SS or Z28

This is a discussion on SS or Z28 within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Is "duel" the name of an exhaust company? Actually if you think about it a company named that that made ...

Ray Charles blue

Is "duel" the name of an exhaust company? Actually if you think about it a company named that that made dual exhaust systems would be sort of cool!

Because you said it likes its dual (two) but duel as in like its a duel to the death. Sweet, I have my business! Who wants to invest? lol

Quote Originally Posted by jakez28 View Post
    Or you could be like me and have the best of both worlds.. Original z28 with the SS hood, rims an spoiler. You could say I paid for a boob job for my bebe lol
    The best of both worlds IS the SS in my opinion. Its a Z28 with extras......is it not?

OP, go for either of the two. You wont be wrong either way.

Oh and btw, fake ones are nothing to be ashamed of. lol I plan to buy a set of them someday, not for me, well........in a way they would be. lol

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

SS is an option for a Z28. IRCC if you look at the title on a SS it says Z28.. Any who I wanted a Z28 myself. The Z28 had racing heritage back in the Trans-AM racing series day. That and I love the look of the Sunoco hood on my Z...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Haha there is a old fart that works at a store down the street from my work and my brother 02sunsetorangez was there getting some stuff and my brother's car is immaculate(sp). Full bolt ons, wheels, smoked taillights blah blah. Well this guy drives a 00 ss that is silver and is all gheyed up with flame seat covers and flame everything inside with a flowmaster 80 series well this coworker said to him hey jim, come look at this camaro. And the old guy was like psshhh! Shoulda gotta ss, theyre better

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

ss vs z28? same thing in my book

[yeah the suspension exhaust etc is a little different. 9/10 people modify those parts anyway..]

i put koni/strano springs in my z28 and its obvious a stock SS would be no where near my time around a circuit..

only difference is the blue book value when you buy/sell it. the ss's retain their value a little higher..

This question sure comes up alot. There are alot of differences aside from the hood and spoiler.

The nice aspects of the SS are the ones that came with extra cost options that are not normally available with the Z28's.

Such as the CME exhaust system, which required the dual/dual option to begin with. The SS front grille is always a favorite. SS floor mats spice up an otherwise boring interior, and a rear deck mat also available.
    There are also cool little things like SS portfolio's, SS car covers, key fobs, brakes, shocks, yada yada. Most of which are appearance add ons, but still pretty cool none the less, and not available on Z28's.
    These SLP optioned SS's are the ones that really set themselves apart from the rest of the 4th gens. Your standard SS doesn't have too much over a Z28 other than the hood, spoiler, wheels, sway bars, PS cooler pretty much wraps it up.

You really have to ask yourself what you are looking for in a 4th gen, because prices vary.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Basically the ss is a performance upgrade from the z 28 just as the z 28 is a performance upgrade from the plain camaro. Thats why there was a price difference between the two. But could you have ordered an ls 1 engine in a plain jane camaro?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

There's a much bigger difference between a base Camaro and a Z28 then there is a Z28 and an SS.

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    Basically the ss is a performance upgrade from the z 28 just as the z 28 is a performance upgrade from the plain camaro. Thats why there was a price difference between the two. But could you have ordered an ls 1 engine in a plain jane camaro?

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Yes the z 28 is a much bigger difference than the base camaro but the point is they are all different as far as performance goes. again thats why there are price differences between them all

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Yes the z 28 is a much bigger difference than the base camaro but the point is they are all different as far as performance goes. again thats why there are price differences between them all
    Not really, a 4th gen SS vs a 4th gen z28 is a driver race. The have the same gearing, power, weight, brakes. Unless its a optioned slp SS some of those options do actually add hp.

Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    SS is an option for a Z28. IRCC if you look at the title on a SS it says Z28.. Any who I wanted a Z28 myself. The Z28 had racing heritage back in the Trans-AM racing series day. That and I love the look of the Sunoco hood on my Z...
    Yeah there's nothin like saying I drive a Z28!!!
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6 Hard Top - Sebring Silver - All Original, Bone stock
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top - Arctic White - Free Mods, Lid, TB Bypass, 160* stat, Racetronix HP255Lph, Exhaust cutout, LT1 Eibach Springs, Bilstein HDs, Poly Sway Bushings, BMR STB, Torsen gear LSD 10 Bolt

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

There is minimal to none performance difference between a Z28 and SS.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Yes there are differences weather they be minimal or not. The point is each one has differences. No need to nit pick. Fact is they are different. At least gm thought so. And priced them accordingly

Yes there are differences weather they be minimal or not. The point is each one has differences. No need to nit pick. Fact is they are different. At least gm thought so. And priced them accordingly
    I get your point, it's the Z28 owners that hate to admit it. You'll find that alot on here as this question comes up fairly often. I've owned both so I'm not bias in any way.

There are other performance advantages than just straight line, the SS will also handle a little better, bigger tires, bigger sway bars, and from what I'm reading they also have different spring rates. I can personally attest to the difference in driving feel and handling between the 2, I had both a Z and an SS at the same time.
    And like Zinergy mentioned, there is a HP advantage if you ordered some of those SLP options (only available on the SS) like I mentioned in a previous post, namely the lid and the exhaust.

Ray Charles blue

It is called marketing. Its what 99% of it is my friend.

Ever hear of Makers Mark whiskey? It started out as a small business and they priced it over triple the cost of other whiskeys. Not because it was better but because people THINK that if it costs more it is better. Why? Because the general public is retarded. This is no different. The SS options are an upgrade but nothing THAT noticeable.......I dont care how much SLP stuff is on it.

I guess the difference is that Makers Mark really wasnt as good or any better than the other stuff but hey, we all know how that story goes dont we?

The SS is the step up from the Z28. Honestly though boys, if you buy one of these cars JUST for the performance and not the the price you would have had a C5 sitting in your garage. Same engine, better suspension (which is the forte of the SS......handling), and more of a drivers car.
    Last edited by TLS_Addict; 10-21-2010 at 04:51 PM.

Arctic White, red/gray

Yes but you cant say PERFORMANCE differences because in any situation the z28 vs a ss is a drivers race. Whether is be in a straight line or around a track. Yes the SS has some suspension tweaks but its so minimal its nothing a driver couldnt overcome against a slightly less skilled driver in the SS.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

No, really there's not much of a difference as far as performance is concerned between the Z28 and SS.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

WS6 with Ram Air is still faster.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Uh, I'm not so sure. I ran a buddy of mine who had an '02 Trans Am WS6 (we had the exact same modifications done to our cars). We were nose to nose the entire time. He was alone in his car and my ex was in my car with me.

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    WS6 with Ram Air is still faster.

White
    2008 Chevy Silverado 4x4

as for the 150 harse more thats a bunch of bs .. what are the hp numbers on the firehawk?

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by bdub2145 View Post
    as for the 150 harse more thats a bunch of bs .. what are the hp numbers on the firehawk?
    Lol come on guys, I have owned 2 f-bodys.... the 150hp thing was just a joke

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information