Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

SS/WS6 vs WRX STI

This is a discussion on SS/WS6 vs WRX STI within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Wesman Off the line performance is just that, "off the line", nothing more. So it pulls hard ...

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Off the line performance is just that, "off the line", nothing more. So it pulls hard for the first 1.5 seconds, and then its no faster than any other 240WHP car, which isn't anything close to being as fast as the numbers would lead you to believe.

Decent links, but I found one that I think better represents the Evo/STI, being that its more thourough.

Evo/STI Specs

Going by that, the differences become extremely apparent between a car like the Trans Am WS6 and the Evo/STI. The 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are close, but thats where the similarities end. The Evo and STI are 5MPH slower in the 1/4 mile (which is a huge amount), and in 5-60MPH tests, they are a whole 1.5 seconds slower - once again, a huge difference. They F-Body also blows both of them away in 30-50MPH and 50-70MPH passing acceleration, especially in top gear.

The STI pulled .92g's on the skidpad. A WS6/SS LS1 F-Body can pull .88g's. Not exactly a huge difference by any means. And the stock F-Body tires last a hell of a lot longer than 10K miles, meaning they aren't all-out performance tires like the Evo and STi have. With top notch tires, a WS6/SS could probably pull a .90g on the skidpad.

The main handling advantage of the Evo/STI over the F-Body is that those cars are easy to drive fast. You need to know what you are doing to push an F-Body through the curves, whereas the Evo and STI are amazingly easy, even for unskilled drivers. That gives the fake perception of awesome handling, when the reality is that the car is just extremely easy and confidence inspiring to drive through turns.

"Better low end torque" is all relative. I have driven one, and it's still gutless compared to an LS1, or just about any other V8.
    not all fbodies trap 108 stock....but on the flipside.. almost all evos and stis trap between 102-104.

That was a decent car and driver comparison, but those figures were a little on the low side for what's been posted throughout the years. The 5-60 was about the lowest I've ever seen. It's usually 5.6-5.8. I won't bother posting articles, we can do that all day long. I do agree though, that on the average almost all evos and stis trap @ 102-104. I post and read a lot on the forums and that's accurate.

I don't discount that an LS1 V-8 has better low end torque compared to a 2.5 turbo-4. My point was that for a turbo-4 motor the STI has good low end torque and the boost comes on relatively low in the rpm band. With SIMPLE mods and not even tuned(Turbo back exhaust and basic off the shelf map reflash) you can get around 385 ft-lbs @ 3400rpm. http://cobbtuning.com/sti/images/ap-sti-stage2.gif
    Those numbers will always increase once tuned on a dyno. It's the torque output on the STI rather than HP that is easier to coax out.

That's awesome low end performance from a car that has less than twice the displacement and 4 less cylinders than a V8. Nice debating with ya, enjoy your car!
    Last edited by garrettjj; 07-01-2006 at 09:13 AM.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

ill stick with my pushrods and six bolt mains thank you,lancer shmancer ill kick you in the seat of the pancer,then ill do a dancer,but only i knew you had no chancer.mabey if you were twin turbo then your blow off valve would be even louder when i pass you (oh shi^ did i just rev to 6800 )powershifting-good lordie i think i did

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

forget all the gibber jabber and just get an F BODY!!!!!! you wont be sorry

wrx
    Whisper Lid/SLP HarmonicBalancer/MAFTranslator/DiabloTuner A-Pillar Gauges (Aem Uego A/F,Trans Temp, D-Pic)Magnaflow CB w/CME Tips/ Eibach Pro Kit/ Brembo Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/ H.I.D.Kit

Why not look into an 03-04 Cobra. Easy car to make 500 whp

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

IM A CHEVY MAN BITCH!!!!SORRY THAT MUST HAVE BEEN MY TERRETS ID RATHER JUICE ANY DAY

Black
    2000 TA Built

i love ls1s....but keep in mind they ARE a dimeadozen how many true STIS do u see daily???

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1kid17 View Post
    i love ls1s....but keep in mind they ARE a dimeadozen how many true STIS do u see daily???
    on average? 5 or 6 probably..they're a lot around here...evos too. yet i rarely ever see a ls1.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

matters where u live.im in the bay area CALIFORNIA. holy jeeze is this rice rocket central.but id say99% of the street ricers are S-L-O-W.AND STI I PROBLY SEE LIKE 1 A DAY BUT EVOS ARE FRIGGIN EVERYWHERE.i rarely see a beefy ls1 f-body to turn my head.i mostly see sixers. and worst off i see dudes thinking there HARD ASS HELL IN A SIXER CAMARO.

breakparts, I hear you big time on the guys in sixers trying to act hard. I am form Sacramento and we've got our fair helping of rice (pork and shrimp fried lol).. very few actual STI's (lots of fake scoops) and for the love of God get rid of those gold rims! Every time I see them, I think of a 60's Impala with the damn chrome mudflaps all kicked out with massive wheel spacers (ugh!). I've looked at EVO's, but dayam thats pricey, and how durable is that transaxle setup? If I had an LS1 I would have to do some outrageous mods just to separate myself from the endless masses of people with regular Z28's with filter and exhaust...not that thats bad in ANY way, I just want to spank some fool in a C5 and snap a picture of his face as he watches his super car get demolished, but I guess a steady diet of mustangs and civics would keep me happy for a while

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

2003 WRX vs. 2002 Z28

Ironically, the WRX was my wife's car, but purchased with a lot of insistence on my behalf. We had it since new up to about 36k miles. There were NO maintenance issues on our car and all I ever did to it was clean it, feed it super unleaded, and synthetic oil. The tires were toast at that point, but there is this one on-ramp to the mall... That car was probably the best bang for the buck car ever. The WRX has wicked turbo lag and is extremely easy to drive. I think the WRX/STI cars are designed that way so the 2Fast2Furious crowd don't crash more often. 4 doors and an ample trunk are big conveniences in a daily driver. We looked at replacing it with an S4, but at $52K I was a little underwhelmed. Never bothered driving an STI. We got a new Pathfinder instead, because she 'wanted a truck'. Or at least, a truck-substitute. She could have driven my 02 8.1L K2500HD if she wanted a truck...

I got my Z28 a month ago. It handles well enough, the mileage is comparable to the WRX, it launches much harder and I think the roll-on acceleration is simply amazing. It has the marks of a mid-80s GM car where its roots lie. Some cheap parts, some good parts, but the overall build is good, but not as good as my 8.1L. The trunk area is big, but awkward to use. The front occupant area is more comfortable than the WRX, but the back seat sucks. At the level of modification I plan to do, I think the car will last a very, very long time simply because the engine and other parts aren't working that hard most of the time.

I think both choices are sound, but you need to focus on what is important. If you actually haul a few people around and deal with inclement weather (fear the lag on ice!), then the WRX is a better choice. If you love real muscle car sounds and the stronger acceleration of the V8, then get the camaro. After looking into the topics a lot, short of nitrous, you can make some real progress with an LS1 for a modest investment and still avoid a "stressed" car. A lot of used WRX/STI cars have thrashed clutches/2nd gears - when we dropped ours, that was the first thing they checked - and I heard the story enough that I would check it out. The LS1 car's shortcomings are well documented here.

Personally, I could have bought more or less anything I wanted, although a Viper would have been pushing into divorce territory... I wanted a muscle car that had all the modern conveniences, a back seat, and would rumble ominously in my driveway (hate that Shucks ricer exhaust sound I seem to hear on every clapped-out Civic that goes by). The ls1 f-bodies fit that bill perfectly. Pick what works for you based on an honest appreciation of your wants and needs - that's what matters most. Both are good choices for the right people.

Coparing a regular 2003 WRX to an STI is like comparing a V-6 Camaro to a V-8. They are very different cars. Stock, an LS1 would handily romp a 2003 WRX.

A 2003 WRX has 70+ less horsepower, .5 liters less displacmement, taller gearing, 5-speed, no adjustable differential and less performance upgrades(Less boost on smaller turbo, Tires, clutch, brakes, transmission, etc). It takes a regular 03 WRX to be at least Stage 2.5 to be able to compete with a stock STI.

SFL Drifters

Pewter
    2002 TransAm WS6

the STi will pwn the f bodies in the corners, no joke

solid rear = STRAIGHT LINE ONLY! its hard for me to keep up w/ my friends FC RX-7 on the turns.
    Last edited by Mike WS6; 07-23-2006 at 08:27 PM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mike WS6 View Post
    the STi will pwn the f bodies in the corners, no joke

solid rear = STRAIGHT LINE ONLY! its hard for me to keep up w/ my friends FC RX-7 on the turns.
    Umm..no. Way to generalize a whole vehicle just because it has a SRA

My WS6 T/A handles pretty damn well actually. Its got the WS6 sway bars, Bilstein shocks, 17" rims, and Goodyear Eagle F1 tires. Its the best handling car I've ever driven, bar none.

Theres a common misperception between "handling performance" and "easy to drive". The F-Body is not a bad handling car, it just takes some skill to handle it in the corners. If you don't know how to drive it properly, it can get away from you really quick. Cars like the STi and Evo are very easy and predictable to drive in the turns, giving the perception of awesome handling, although they really don't handle much (if at all) better than a properly set up WS6/SS.

I'm sick of hearing people say "F-bodies can't handle", thats ricer talk

SFL Drifters

Pewter
    2002 TransAm WS6

I hope your joking, a solid rear will never perform as well as IRS.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mike WS6 View Post
    I hope your joking, a solid rear will never perform as well as IRS.
    It may not have the handling potential of an IRS system, but it sure as hell can handle just as well as many IRS equipped vehicles when properly set up.

SFL Drifters

Pewter
    2002 TransAm WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    It may not have the handling potential of an IRS system, but it sure as hell can handle just as well as many IRS equipped vehicles when properly set up.
    A modified suspension WS6/SS might handle better than a stock STi/Lan Evo.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

the f body could beat em up if he had a good driver not scared of a little squerreliness and tire spin and had good correctional skills with an m-6.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

first and foremost, its up to you and what you like.
    secondly, what type of weather will this car see.

If you live in an area that gets a good amount a snow, any and all modded cars are useless but some are worse and some are slightly better then others.

f-bods suck in the snow, and worse in deap snow, so an all wheel drive modded car will outperform as a daily driver!

SFL Drifters

Pewter
    2002 TransAm WS6

Quote Originally Posted by breakparts View Post
    the f body could beat em up if he had a good driver not scared of a little squerreliness and tire spin and had good correctional skills with an m-6.
    And if the Evo/STi driver sucked. I hate to admit it too but its true. The Fbodies cant compare to most of the imports in the corners.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information