Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

SS/WS6 vs WRX STI

This is a discussion on SS/WS6 vs WRX STI within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; What about the GTO? I have heard good and bad on them and I want some opinions on the 6.0 ...

What about the GTO? I have heard good and bad on them and I want some opinions on the 6.0 liter version in specific.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I would never take an Evo or STI over an SS or WS6. No comparison in terms of looks, performance, sound, style, ect. The Evo and STI are suped up economy cars - and they look the part. Overdone body kits, massive wings, totally overstyled in every possible way. They are pretty much factory rice.

Not to mention they lack anything resembling low end power (4 banger + turbo lag) and sound like a broken duck call. They also have more than their fair share of reliability problems and expensive maintenance.

I think you would be much happier in the long run with a GTO or LS1 F-Body.

white
    1989 turbo trans am anniv

[QUOTE=Sero_TT]I would be guessing his evo is his run around car for daily stuff...but dayam man how does that Viper run? I've only sat in one at a performance car dealership.

Yeah, the Evo is what I drive daily to work, along with a Xterra that my fiancee drives. I had to restrain myself from performing any major modifications because I do not want to lose any reliability
    The Viper runs well, I plan to keep that stock. I try to drive it several miles per week. It's at 17K currently

---
    2004 Evolution
    1997 Viper GTS B/W
    1989 Anniv. Turbo Trans Am hardtop

white
    1989 turbo trans am anniv

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman
    I would never take an Evo or STI over an SS or WS6. No comparison in terms of looks, performance, sound, style, ect. The Evo and STI are suped up economy cars - and they look the part. Overdone body kits, massive wings, totally overstyled in every possible way. They are pretty much factory rice.

Not to mention they lack anything resembling low end power (4 banger + turbo lag) and sound like a broken duck call. They also have more than their fair share of reliability problems and expensive maintenance.

I've made this observation in the past.
    The Evos and STis do have alot of "business" going on concerning their styling. At least every part of their styling has a function, and yes the tall spoilers actually work. There is a difference between "functionality" and "rice". Rice is the add on hood scoop from Pep boys or Ford (ie 99-2004 mustangs) that sticks on the hood and does nothing for cooling or performance.
    Evos and STis are not the prettiest cars on the planet, but they do work well at what they are designed to do.

------
    2004 Evolution
    1997 Viper GTS B/W
    1989 Anniv. Turbo Trans Am hardtop

sunset orange
    02 SS M6

I think the Evos and STIs are nice cars but I did the 4cyl thing for a while and just had to have a V8. I like knowin that hunk of metal is under there.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Sero_TT
    severedistortion, I am actually in Sacramento, so yeah I would need the EGR stuff, so does that mean I would be better off going for the 01 or 02 SS?
    SLP sells a ls6 manifold that is tapped for the egr and comes with the coolant tube and plugs needed....problem is it's like 400 bones. At least it was when I bought one awhile back

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Sero_TT
    What about the GTO? I have heard good and bad on them and I want some opinions on the 6.0 liter version in specific.
    Some people don't like the way they look..but the 05-06's don't look that bad IMO. Their build quality is really good and it has a independant rear so you'll get a smoother ride then a f-body....but you'll have more wheel hop and a little more power loss. If you have the money for a new gto I'd just save longer and get a C6

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

dude Forget All This Bs Get A Ceap Ass Iroc Year Camaro And Stick An Ls1 With Ls6 Heads And A Big Cam, Dude People Wont Know What Hit Em. And Youd Probably Spent Around 6000 Dollars But Buy A Used Motor. Dude Wheres My Car ( Its The All Black One In Theshadows That Police Can Hear But Cant See Too Good)

I was actually considering something like that breakparts but I was thinking more along the lines of a 93-97. What do you think?

one more thing....A4 or M6 b/c although I love rowing through the gears, some have said that with some light mods the A4 can be quicker and consistent? Any thoughts on this from anyone?

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

the trans is all about preference. Some things to consider:
    the amount of driving you do per day
    traffic
    drag strip (auto) or street racing (manual)
    do you like shifting

the cool thing about an automatic is you get very good consistency and if you get a stall you can be as fast or faster than a good driver in a m6.

if you are a really good driver and you like to slam gears then the m6 is the way to go.

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

m6 all the way...I drive mine on my commute 3 times a week. its 75 miles one way ranging from bumper to bumper..to open highway. its not a hard manual to drive and nothing is like going wot through the first 3 gears..or dropping it down to 2nd aroun d 50-55.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage View Post
    m6 all the way...I drive mine on my commute 3 times a week. its 75 miles one way ranging from bumper to bumper..to open highway. its not a hard manual to drive and nothing is like going wot through the first 3 gears..or dropping it down to 2nd aroun d 50-55.
    Agreed, manual is the only way to go in a street driven car

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post

The performance of an EVO/STI is VERY close and in some ways better than an SS or WS6. EVERY part on the STI is functional from the wing that produces downforce at high speeds, to the large scoop that feeds the top mount intercooler, to the front fascia kit that creates .33 c/d, to the rear diffuser and underbody, to the intercooler water spray. The STI builds boost at 1800rpm and hits full torque at 4K. The lag is almost nonexistant and throttle response is crisp. Reliability and maintenance costs are NOT an issue with a Subaru.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...wall2-1280.jpg
    Last edited by garrettjj; 06-26-2006 at 07:33 PM. Reason: pic addition
    95 Supra TT 420rwhp
    05 STI Stage2

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by garrettjj View Post
    The performance of an EVO/STI is VERY close and in some ways better than an SS or WS6. EVERY part on the STI is functional from the wing that produces downforce at high speeds, to the large scoop that feeds the top mount intercooler, to the front fascia kit that creates .33 c/d, to the rear diffuser and underbody, to the intercooler water spray. The STI builds boost at 1800rpm and hits full torque at 4K. The lag is almost nonexistant and throttle response is crisp. Reliability and maintenance costs are NOT an issue with a Subaru.
    Congrats, you;ve just been offered a job with the advertising department at Subaru

First of all, the performance of an Evo/STI vs. a WS6/SS isn't even close from anything other than a dig. Trap speeds in the 1/4 mile are about 5-7MPH higher for the LS1 than the Evo/STI, which indicates that the Evo/STI are only pulling low 13's due to the AWD launch. They don't have shit from a roll, whatsoever. I've seen stock Cobalt SS S/C's hang with Evo's from highway rolls.

Thats all well and good that all the "styling features" of the STI are functional, but that doesn't make it any less ugly. Nor is anyone actually going to put those little pointly triangles on the back of the roof to use on the street. Its just totally impractical for anything but professional racing, where they need every last advantage they can get.

What difference does it make of the STI begins to build boost at 1800RPM?? That means there's turbo lag, since the turbo is still spooling up. The car doesn't actually start to move until its into full boost. If I punch my LS1 at 1800RPM it takes off, no lag, no bog, no 4 banger turbo lagging bullshit

You say reliability and maintenance costs are not an issue?? How about the factory tires, that wear out at 10K miles and cost over $1000 to replace?? How about the turbo, which rarely lasts beyond 100K miles under performance driving?? How about all of the wear-and-tear parts of the engine, such as the alternator, waterpump, starter, ect what will cost big $$ as well as hours of labor to replace when they go bad?? You need to consider long term maintenance and reliability, not just how it runs now.

Adios and vaya con dios ZAPFOOL!!'s Avatar

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

stay in a truck and get blown...hint hint....and insurance is dirt cheap...just my 2 cents

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

only problem with a truck is the fuel economy because its heavy. the lightning gets like 14 mpg stock.

Adios and vaya con dios ZAPFOOL!!'s Avatar

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by camarolvr69 View Post
    only problem with a truck is the fuel economy because its heavy. the lightning gets like 14 mpg stock.

cant agrue that

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Congrats, you;ve just been offered a job with the advertising department at Subaru

First of all, the performance of an Evo/STI vs. a WS6/SS isn't even close from anything other than a dig. Trap speeds in the 1/4 mile are about 5-7MPH higher for the LS1 than the Evo/STI, which indicates that the Evo/STI are only pulling low 13's due to the AWD launch. They don't have shit from a roll, whatsoever. I've seen stock Cobalt SS S/C's hang with Evo's from highway rolls.

Thats all well and good that all the "styling features" of the STI are functional, but that doesn't make it any less ugly. Nor is anyone actually going to put those little pointly triangles on the back of the roof to use on the street. Its just totally impractical for anything but professional racing, where they need every last advantage they can get.

What difference does it make of the STI begins to build boost at 1800RPM?? That means there's turbo lag, since the turbo is still spooling up. The car doesn't actually start to move until its into full boost. If I punch my LS1 at 1800RPM it takes off, no lag, no bog, no 4 banger turbo lagging bullshit

You say reliability and maintenance costs are not an issue?? How about the factory tires, that wear out at 10K miles and cost over $1000 to replace?? How about the turbo, which rarely lasts beyond 100K miles under performance driving?? How about all of the wear-and-tear parts of the engine, such as the alternator, waterpump, starter, ect what will cost big $$ as well as hours of labor to replace when they go bad?? You need to consider long term maintenance and reliability, not just how it runs now.
    Yup, the traps are about 4-5mph higher, the trade off is great off the line performance which I use much more than high speed roll-ons. STIs can hit 0-60 in 4.5 secs stock on stock tires. Overall perfomance is more about going in a straight line though. Don't discount the braking, handling, gripping, turning capabilities of the STI or EVO. The STI is a very solid and fun car as well as a very good track car and the EVO a little more so. Compare the testing specs from the articles below and you'll see what I mean.

From your post, I doubt you have driven one. Unlike the EVO, the STI has much better low end torque due to it's larger 2.5 4-cyl. The turbo is also smaller which decreases spool time. By 1800 the turbo is boosting strong(but obviously not at full boost) and there is barely any lag, it's very seamless. When you punch it the car surges forward and you certainly don't have to be at "Full boost" for the car to start moving, that's just ridiculous.

Every reliability and maintenance thing you metioned is the same for any car, especially performance cars. We all have to pay for those things. Subaru is rated very high in reliability/safety. I have over 25K on my original tires and while I need some soon, they lasted a long time under hard driving. If my turbo lasts until 100K, I'll be happy. They are dirt cheap. Hell many people swap in new turbos when the car is only a few years old.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ws6/index.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ecs_price.html
    Last edited by garrettjj; 06-27-2006 at 04:20 PM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by garrettjj View Post
    Yup, the traps are about 4-5mph higher, the trade off is great off the line performance which I use much more than high speed roll-ons. STIs can hit 0-60 in 4.5 secs stock on stock tires. Overall perfomance is more about going in a straight line though. Don't discount the braking, handling, gripping, turning capabilities of the STI or EVO. The STI is a very solid and fun car as well as a very good track car and the EVO a little more so. Compare the testing specs from the articles below and you'll see what I mean.
    Off the line performance is just that, "off the line", nothing more. So it pulls hard for the first 1.5 seconds, and then its no faster than any other 240WHP car, which isn't anything close to being as fast as the numbers would lead you to believe.

Decent links, but I found one that I think better represents the Evo/STI, being that its more thourough.

Evo/STI Specs

Going by that, the differences become extremely apparent between a car like the Trans Am WS6 and the Evo/STI. The 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are close, but thats where the similarities end. The Evo and STI are 5MPH slower in the 1/4 mile (which is a huge amount), and in 5-60MPH tests, they are a whole 1.5 seconds slower - once again, a huge difference. They F-Body also blows both of them away in 30-50MPH and 50-70MPH passing acceleration, especially in top gear.

The STI pulled .92g's on the skidpad. A WS6/SS LS1 F-Body can pull .88g's. Not exactly a huge difference by any means. And the stock F-Body tires last a hell of a lot longer than 10K miles, meaning they aren't all-out performance tires like the Evo and STi have. With top notch tires, a WS6/SS could probably pull a .90g on the skidpad.

The main handling advantage of the Evo/STI over the F-Body is that those cars are easy to drive fast. You need to know what you are doing to push an F-Body through the curves, whereas the Evo and STI are amazingly easy, even for unskilled drivers. That gives the fake perception of awesome handling, when the reality is that the car is just extremely easy and confidence inspiring to drive through turns.

From your post, I doubt you have driven one. Unlike the EVO, the STI has much better low end torque due to it's larger 2.5 4-cyl.
    "Better low end torque" is all relative. I have driven one, and it's still gutless compared to an LS1, or just about any other V8.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information