Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

SS/WS6 vs WRX STI

Hi all, first post. I would like an opinion on a few vehicles from some of the more experienced members. I am considering a new vehicle purchase to replace my truck. I am looking at an 01 or 02 WS6 or SS, or 02 - 05 WRX STI. I want to do a performance build on whichever I do end up buying. Keep in mind this vehicle will have to be driven daily, and thus must have reliable horsepower. If going with either of the 4th gen f-bodies, I will definitely be seeking out APS or GMR for my TT kit. The STI already being turbo does help, as its motor has already been configured to work with a forced induction setup. I have limited funds after the car has been purchased, so this is really a question of what will give me the biggest bang for my buck. Thanks all!

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

well Im New To The Forum But Not To Ls1 Cars And Racing Them.id Say Find A Fairly Old Ls1 Camaro Or Ta And Rebuild It With Rods And Pistons. Mild Cam And Stock Everything Else. That Alone Will Yield Almost 400 Rwhp With Bolt Ons. If You Went Forced Induction You Have No Problems With The Sti. Spankin Em Good. My 02 Has Magic Stick Cam And Prc Srings All Bolt Ons And I Have Never Been Beat By One. If Your Talking More Power On Less Fuel Rating Go Ls1. Im Going To Spray 150 Shot On Stock Motor. With Rods And Pistons Better Believe A 200 Or More Will Do The Job.ls1 Motors Have Unbelievable . 400 Rwhp Plus 200 Hp N20 Thats Over 600 Rwtq Easily And Trust Me You Dont Need Spray Unless They Play Like Big Boys

Fairies Drive Imports camaro_five0's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

If you're gonna get a TA or Camaro, get an 01-02. These years are the only years with the LS6 intake already in the car. As for building a nice daily-driven race car, I'd DEFINATELY go with an F-body. If you're planning on putting a turbo or S/C in there anyway, you'll be WAY faster in the F-body than you will the WRX, STi or not. If you force-induce these cars, they are stupid fast.

thanks for the help all...everyone has been telling me the same story...the only problem now is to find the car....one last thing though...WS6 or SS? I love the ram air hood on the ws6 but the gauges are reminiscient of the LT1 days...is one faster/quicker than the other?

My buddy has an 02 SS SLP M6 that he is the original owner of that he has to sell. He said he will sell it to me for 16k...hes got like 48k miles, black on black leather, every option except traction control, Centerforce clutch (stage three I believe..it was like 600 bucks) and eibach springs in every corner, as well as nice Z rated tires. Is it worth it?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

go for it man. that's a good deal, especially with all those options.

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

get a z28..it'll be the cheapest. they didn't make a sti in 02-03. have you considered a evo? stock motor is a lot stronger than the sti ej25..and about as strong as a stock ls1...the ls1 and 4g63t will put down similar numbers on stock block.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    01 Super Sexy SS

get an SS! I just beat an WRX stI yesterday at a light. I gave him a 1 car advantage and after taking off he still had the advantage, but when I hit my 2nd gear I started pulling up next to him and once I hit 3rd a wasted him by 2 car lenths.hahaha....mighty mighty SS!!!no get an SS or a WS6 which ever you like more

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

sure Evo's are fast, but they're expensive as hell for a 4-banger. you can STILL make a Camaro faster.

yeah Im all about the performance mods and I just cant get over the damn TT kits from GMR and APS...insane hp...sorry no loud ass blow off valves for me though...I will admit they are cool at the track but this car will be a daily driver and I dont want it to sound like I am too fast too furious when Im out and about...gotta keep it kinda sleeper u know?

marron
    2000 Camaro

I have a 00' camaro and i have a ls6 manifold stock and on top of that i raced a 06' sti and just like he said before, sec gear i was side by side with the sti and than third i just pulled away. no to mention, i have a stock ls1 Z28. sti will kill you on turns cause it did on me but on a straight away. (which alot of races are now and days) camaro is the way to go.

white
    1989 turbo trans am anniv

The original post doesn't make sense. You want a car for daily driving, but you are looking for modifications like a twin turbo kit, but money is tight after the inital purchase of the car. If you are planning to buy a car and modify it in such a manner, it is best that you have a "beater" to perform your daily duties. Everybody knows that if you plan to modify, expect things to break. It's part of the game. Especially performing modifications such as forced induction. The STI is a better car for daily activities: 4 doors, AWD, ease of driving. The F body has more potential without you having to be a genious in tuning a car. F bodies can be purchased for less money as comparied to STIs currently, thus more money for mods. Definately perform extensive test driving before you buy. Those two cars are completely different in every way, most individuals who purchased one, didn't likely consider the other.

------
    2004 Evolution
    1997 Viper GTS B/W
    1989 Anniv. Turbo Trans Am hardtop

ttadriver, thanks for your input. I understand that things will break after performance mods, but my experience is all in the 4wd area (76 F150 4x4 m4 390, 750cfm Carter) so all my mods like cam/intake manifold choices have been aimed at raising low end performance, and my high end is used mostly to spin tires clean in mud at an attempt to regain traction. My major point that I was looking to confirm is that the money I would save on the initial purchase of the vehicle would allow me to perform more mods. I read in a different post that the guys at GMR can boost lightly on a completely stock LS1...(I believe he said 500-550hp without having to do some engine work) but I am not sure if the stock rear end will handle that kind of power. Then again a factory 10 bolt and a 9 inch are different. I also hear you on the tuning aspect, as my usual tuning is done on a vehicle with no onboard diagnostics, and that was one of my primary concerns as I like doing as much of my own work as possible, and I know very little about imports. I should have been clearer with my question; How much can you hp can you make reliably for daily driving in an ls1, and because I have dreams of forced induction, would it be better to hunt down an SS or to get a Z28?

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

get a z28....wish i did. could ahve saved 3-4k. have you looked into evos? there 4cyl is a lot better than the sti..adn teh evo and sti go for around the same price. a full exhaust intake and tune on stock turbo can be made very fast...but you would need to replace the clutch. www.buschurracing.com for some more info on evos. stock turbo can reach mid 11s. a full exhaust, clutch and tuning could get you very deep into the 12s on street tires.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ttadriver
    The original post doesn't make sense. You want a car for daily driving, but you are looking for modifications like a twin turbo kit, but money is tight after the inital purchase of the car. If you are planning to buy a car and modify it in such a manner, it is best that you have a "beater" to perform your daily duties. Everybody knows that if you plan to modify, expect things to break. It's part of the game. Especially performing modifications such as forced induction. The STI is a better car for daily activities: 4 doors, AWD, ease of driving. The F body has more potential without you having to be a genious in tuning a car. F bodies can be purchased for less money as comparied to STIs currently, thus more money for mods. Definately perform extensive test driving before you buy. Those two cars are completely different in every way, most individuals who purchased one, didn't likely consider the other.

------
    2004 Evolution
    1997 Viper GTS B/W
    1989 Anniv. Turbo Trans Am hardtop

Soooooooo. 04 Evo.......97 Viper......89 TA...................which one is "The beater"

I would be guessing his evo is his run around car for daily stuff...but dayam man how does that Viper run? I've only sat in one at a performance car dealership.

Also, a few people have told me if I have the money for the STI or Evo, I should just a get a GTO or wait for the new Camaro to come out, or get the Challenger b/c its what the Charger should have been...any thoughts on this?

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sero_TT
    I would be guessing his evo is his run around car for daily stuff...but dayam man how does that Viper run? I've only sat in one at a performance car dealership.

Also, a few people have told me if I have the money for the STI or Evo, I should just a get a GTO or wait for the new Camaro to come out, or get the Challenger b/c its what the Charger should have been...any thoughts on this?
    get what you want..drive all of them..or atleast the avalible ones...have you checked insurance..ect on all of the cars? and if your gonna wait for the challenger or camaro..you got a loooong wait.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by SpEeDdEmOn86
    I have a 00' camaro and i have a ls6 manifold stock
    No you don't....take a pic of your engine bay and post it. Tell me what makes you think you have a ls6 manifold? If you do have one then either a previous owner swapped it or you don't know the year of your own car.

Quote Originally Posted by camaro_five0
    If you're gonna get a TA or Camaro, get an 01-02. These years are the only years with the LS6 intake already in the car.
    I wouldn't pass on 98-00 that's a good deal just because it doesn't have a ls6 manifold. It's a simple swap and if you don't need the egr in your state you can get'em on ebay for a good price

severedistortion, I am actually in Sacramento, so yeah I would need the EGR stuff, so does that mean I would be better off going for the 01 or 02 SS?

brandon, I have checked with my insurance agent about quotes and they are all in the same area dollar wise for coverage...LS1 just b/c...well you know what your cars will do, even stock, and the STI was just as much b/c it is more costly to replace and is a lot faster off the showroom floor than a usual ricer. The Challenger is SUPPOSED to come out next year, but I wont bet on it. I am looking to purchase around fall next year, as cash comes slow while in college. Thanks everyone for your input.

Thread Information