Thread: SS vs. Z28

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar

SS vs. Z28

what is the real difference between an SS and a Z28 in 96. i have heard that the suspension is different and that it is not different. i know the hood is different and wheels but is the suspension really different?????

Ok, here are the main parts of the 1996 Z28 SS that are different than a stock Z28 (Source - 1996 Z28 SS Owners Manual Supplement):

[1] Composite cold air induction hood (stock has a steel non-ducted hood)
    [2] A inlet airbox that mounts on top of the engine. The upper air box frame was labeled "Z28 SS". (This airbox labeling carried over to some of the earlier 1997 cars, which were then labeled as "Camaro SS". "Z28 SS" airbox frames are now unobtainable)
    [3] A slightly larger air filter element.
    [4] The A.I.R. hose tube on the driver's side is shaped to clear the air box.
    [5] Coupe and T-Top cars: 17" x 9" painted ZR1 wheels with B.F. Goodrich Comp T/A 275/40-17 tires.
    [6] Convertibles: 16" x 8" painted ZR1 wheels with B.F. Goodrich Comp T/A 245/50-16tires.
    [7] Synthetic motor oil (Quaker State).
    [8] Different rear deck spoiler - with a slight upsweep at the rear.
    [9] 1LE 32mm front sway bar and bushings (stock has 30mm bar).
    [10] Rear jounce bumper spacer for cars that came with the 17" wheels.
    [11] 1LE Panhard bar with firmer bushings.
    [12] A console plaque that has "Z28 SS" and the car's build number (1996 cars only).
    [13] 2 Key fobs that are similar to the console plaque.
    [14] Silver outlined black SS badges. (only black cars got the red oultined black badges).
    [15] Extrude-honed high flow exhaust manifolds. (According to SLP, only the first 250 (estimated) cars had received these manifolds. They were too labor intensive to manufacture)

1996 Z28 SS Options:

[1] Performance exhaust system - 3" stainless steel intermediate and over the axle pipe, SLP Power-Flo muffler and Two 2-1/2" polished stainless steel outlet pies. Supposedly adds 5 more horsepower. (This is commonly referred to as the "2-on-the-left" or "2OTL" system)
    [2] Sport suspension package - Includes 4 revalved Bilstein shock absorbers, progressive rate springs, 1LE rear control arms and a 1LE transmission mount.
    [3] Synthetic lube package - synthetic media oil filter, synthetic differential fluid and semi-synthetic power steering fluid.
    [4] Rear axle assembly with Torsen differential.
    [5] Hurst shifter with a special leather covered shifter knob.
    [6] Z28 SS front floor mats (1996 only - 1997 and later cars were "Camaro SS")
    [7] Z28 SS car cover (1996 only - 1997 and later cars were "Camaro SS")
    [8] A second set of 17" x 9" ZR1 wheels with B.F. Goodrich "R1" tires. These were designed to be used for road course racing. They were shipped separately to the dealer (1996 and 1997 coupe and T-Top cars only).
    [9] Engine oil cooler (this was offered late in the model year).

Horsepower ratings:
    1996 Stock Z28: 285
    1996 Z28 SS: 305 (310 with the performance exhaust option)

Available 1996 Z28 SS colors:
    Bright Red, Arctic White, Black, Polo Green Metallic and Bright Teal Metallic (very rare)

Available 1997 Camaro SS colors:
    Bright Red, Arctic White, Black, Polo Green Metallic and Sebring Silver Metallic (a $300 option). Of course there was also the 30th Anniversary color scheme (White with Hugger Orange stripes)

All other stock Z28 options were available on the SS cars as well.

My 1996 Z28 SS has all of the above SLP options except for the second wheel/tire set and oil cooler. It also has all stock Z28 options except for the rear floor mats and automatic transmission.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/vchula
    Vance Chula
    1996 Camaro Z28 SS #1688
    2010 Camaro 2LT RS
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/vchula

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Formula hardtop

some of the 97 models had the almighty LT4 engine.

thanks much Vchula. i know that took some time typin all that. thanks alot.

whats the engine differences between the 2. i mean 20 more hp just from the air induction? so if i got a stock 95 Z which i do, with the moroso air intake, a holley 58mm TB, blocked EGR, hooker cat back what would i be runnin as far as HP. and are the LT1s underrated like the LS1s were?

Thread Information