Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ss vs z28

This is a discussion on ss vs z28 within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft And this is why I will never support SLP, by word of mouth or financially I ...

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    And this is why I will never support SLP, by word of mouth or financially
    I support SLP.....................................

..........................right into bankruptcy

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I just don't see the logic in the way they run their business. I really don't. And on this note, I will stop before I get ahead

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

On the 5th gens the difference between a 1SS and 2SS is the option level (interior, stereo, etc).

Same with the V6 cars - they have 1LT and 2LT levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I support SLP.....................................

..........................right into bankruptcy
    I just don't see the logic in the way they run their business. I really don't. And on this note, I will stop before I get ahead

I've never had issues with them. Dealt with them on several occasions. I'm happy they gave the public some cool cars, something we all needed. If it weren't for them, some of this stuff we are driving wouldn't exist.

I can say I don't like some of their products, but it doesn't cause me to wish they went into bankruptcy Everyone in this type of business has their own problems and issues. Nothing out there is perfect.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    The biggest difference between them to me is the fact that they are building SSes, as you can buy a new one. But you can not buy a new Z28.
    But if the supercharged version comes out, it'll be the Z28. Go figure.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I've never had issues with them. Dealt with them on several occasions. I'm happy they gave the public some cool cars, something we all needed. If it weren't for them, some of this stuff we are driving wouldn't exist.

I can say I don't like some of their products, but it doesn't cause me to wish they went into bankruptcy Everyone in this type of business has their own problems and issues. Nothing out there is perfect.
    I guess even SLP can't piss off every customer of theirs.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

You can fool some of the people all of the time and you can fool all of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time. See?

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    You can fool some of the people all of the time and you can fool all of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time. See?
    That's the way it goes with any business. I've never had a reason to be pissed at SLP. Had good customer service, and got the right parts the first time. In some instances in the past, they were the only company to carry some of the hard to find 4th gen SS stuff. After all, it was their baby. Never heard anyone here complain about owning a 4th gen SS, so you have to give at least some credit where credit is due. The SS hood and spoiler as well as the CME exhaust are the most copied parts on 4th gens, that's the best form of flattery.

I can sit here and say all the bad things I've had experiences with that everyone loves here, such as TCI and AFR. Doesn't mean either are bad companies. And others may have had great experiences with no reason to say otherwise.

Black
    98 Z28

Going back to why GM does some of the wierd things it does. 2011 if GM does what it says its going to do, there supposed to drop the new Z28. Now the SS was supposed to be a polished Z28. Few more features and a slight bump in power. It appears that the new generation is just the opposite. The new Z28 is now top dog
    http://www.chevroletreports.com/blog...ro-z28-is-a-go

I don't get it, why not put the Z28 badge on the one out now and save this puppy for SS badge.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Everyone's going retro in style. The z28 was originally the top dog back in the day. I think it appeals to the older generation.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    Everyone's going retro in style. The z28 was originally the top dog back in the day. I think it appeals to the older generation.
    Ya, back then Z28 meant GM was going SCCA racing. That's what it was originally built for.
    That has since died for the most part unless you are into vintage SCCA, about the only thing I'd watch myself as far as road racing goes.

The Iroc's of the late 80's didn't last long either, and now that series is dead. Factory support has dwindled to next to nothing. It's just not politically correct anymore So why bring back the Z28 badge now. It doesn't mean what it used to mean anymore so it's kinda pointless.

The nice thing about the SS's back then, all the various engine packages you could order from sbc's to bbc's. An SS in a 4th gen was all the same engine, kinda boring if you think about it compared to what SS used to mean. This is coming from an owner with a pair of SS 4th gens so don't take this the wrong way.

I'm older generation, and what appeals to me is vintage cars anymore. I think GM has lost the meaning.
    Years ago I owned 2 69 SS camaros and 1 69 Z28. I now currently have another 69 Z28. They were made when these nameplates actually had a meaning.

Black
    98 Z28

Somehow I don't think the price will be appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
    Somehow I don't think the price will be appealing.
    I don't think so either.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Hell, I read somewhere that the WS6/SS's were available sometime in the '95 model year line in CA, as they did the same with the 3.8 changeover, when the rest took affect in '96. I will say, I've seen 2 '95 V6 camaros with 3.8s, and the VIN did come back as the original engine in the car. As for the SS/WS6, don't take that for gospel
    '95 was the change-over year for the V6 engines, both the L32 and L36 V6s were installed in '95 Camaros and Firebirds. The change-over probably occurred late in the production run as there were more L32s than L36s.

On the '95 SS/WS6 rumor, yep, not gospel. Although someone may be confusing the WS6 w/ the Firehawks and Comp T/As that were available before '96 when SLP began production of the SS/WS6 cars.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    '95 was the change-over year for the V6 engines, both the L32 and L36 V6s were installed in '95 Camaros and Firebirds. The change-over probably occurred late in the production run as there were more L32s than L36s.

On the '95 SS/WS6 rumor, yep, not gospel. Although someone may be confusing the WS6 w/ the Firehawks and Comp T/As that were available before '96 when SLP began production of the SS/WS6 cars.
    So I was correct?

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

So I was correct?
    Yep, '95 V6 f-bods got either the L32 (3.4L) or L36 (3.8L) engine. Since I doubt they were both offered as a "choice" at the same time, the L36 probably replaced the L32 at some point in the model year, probably towards the end given the number of each that were produced.

Any reason why you guys have spent so much time researching V6 model camaro's????

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Any reason why you guys have spent so much time researching V6 model camaro's????
    My first camaro was a '94 3.4L with 160 screaming hoofs under the factory hood

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Ya, back then Z28 meant GM was going SCCA racing. That's what it was originally built for.
    That has since died for the most part unless you are into vintage SCCA, about the only thing I'd watch myself as far as road racing goes.

The Iroc's of the late 80's didn't last long either, and now that series is dead. Factory support has dwindled to next to nothing. It's just not politically correct anymore So why bring back the Z28 badge now. It doesn't mean what it used to mean anymore so it's kinda pointless.

The nice thing about the SS's back then, all the various engine packages you could order from sbc's to bbc's. An SS in a 4th gen was all the same engine, kinda boring if you think about it compared to what SS used to mean. This is coming from an owner with a pair of SS 4th gens so don't take this the wrong way.

I'm older generation, and what appeals to me is vintage cars anymore. I think GM has lost the meaning.
    Years ago I owned 2 69 SS camaros and 1 69 Z28. I now currently have another 69 Z28. They were made when these nameplates actually had a meaning.
    this, you can't tell me the z28 was the top dog over a 375 horse 396. Or even the l-76 327 if you could get that in a camaro. It was meant for road racing.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    this, you can't tell me the z28 was the top dog over a 375 horse 396. Or even the l-76 327 if you could get that in a camaro. It was meant for road racing.
    I never meant to imply the Z28 was top dog. I had 2 396/375hp camaro's many years back. In between I had a 69 Z28. I had raced one of the 396 camaros quite a bit. You are right, the 375hp camaro would run away from the 69 Z28.
    The only other small block available in the 67-70 SS camaro was the 350/300 HP engine. In 67-68 it was rated at 295hp but it was the same thing. When equipped this way, they weren't much of a match for the little 302 Z28. The 325hp and 350hp 396's weren't really that much better either.

But I won't discredit the little 302. With 4.56 gears and some headers, that little Z28 I had was a brawler and gave most people all they wanted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information