Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

ss starting to age

This is a discussion on ss starting to age within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Fastest 4th gen that I recall (and is generally accepted among the car world) went 12.69 and that was on ...

Fastest 4th gen that I recall (and is generally accepted among the car world) went 12.69 and that was on a drag radial, so not completely stock. But,,,,,Like I had mentioned before, that was at ATCO with mineshaft air. Not really indicative of what we all run around the country. Where that 5th was running that went 12.59 is a mystery, but it still went quicker. If it was in crappy air that would explain alot. Meaning if it had mineshaft air like the 4th gen did, it would go even quicker.

To compare apples to apples, you would need both cars, bone stock, on the same track, same day, running in the same air. With that said, my money goes on the 5th gen 9 times out of 10.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I think that is why Siggy felt like the 5th Gen was slower - it is slower from the start. Heavier car (even though not by much) and bigger wheels take more power to get it moving. Once it gets rolling though is where you feel the top end shine as I mentioned.

As far as the 5th Gens I seen first-hand at my local track - no idea what their issue was. As I said, they were running low 14's to mid 13's. Very few low 13 passes were witnessed. Everyone was laughing since we all knew what the cars are capable of. Driver mod FTW.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Exactly and isn't the live rear axle system better than IRS for straight line racing? Or do the 5th gen Camaro's still use the same system as the 4th gens?
    Last edited by SiggyZ; 01-30-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    As far as the 5th Gens I seen first-hand at my local track - no idea what their issue was. As I said, they were running low 14's to mid 13's. Very few low 13 passes were witnessed. Everyone was laughing since we all knew what the cars are capable of. Driver mod FTW.
    I know what you mean. I whooped a 5th gen SS recently in my 5,000 lbs. 6.0 swapped 72 4x4 blazer and everyone got a big chuckle out of that one. The guy just couldn't put a good run together. Came on strong on the big end but wasn't enough, I clipped him at the line with my smoking 14.40

However I have seen them run bottom 13's here at Speedworld in the AZ heat in stock condition.

About 2 years ago I was running my wifes 4th gen SS. A 6 speed with some bolt ons, LS6 cam etc...
    I was running 12.80's to 13.0's all day in the heat at about 112 mph. I ran a new 5th gen SS heads up 4 different times. It was brand new with a Paxton blower, 6 speed, tuned etc....Definately a much more powerfull car.

Both of us on stock rubber but he couldn't launch to save his life,,,however he trapped constantly in the 117-118 range. Yet I beat him everytime as he could only muster 13.20's and 30's.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

my old g8 gt was a dog with the fly by wire. One day on the highway I punched it to get out of the way of a car and it fell flat on its face before dropping gears and accelerating.

Next day I ordered a tune. Cool thing about those new auto's is you can multi tune the trans. I had a trans tune for regular driving and could tap it into sport mode and had a different tune. Removed almost all hesitation.

I think they highly detune those new gm's to protect the trans. So much it's almost dangerous.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yes, Siggy. New 5th Gens have the 4.5 link IRS - derived from the GTO.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    my old g8 gt was a dog with the fly by wire. One day on the highway I punched it to get out of the way of a car and it fell flat on its face before dropping gears and accelerating.

Next day I ordered a tune. Cool thing about those new auto's is you can multi tune the trans. I had a trans tune for regular driving and could tap it into sport mode and had a different tune. Removed almost all hesitation.

I think they highly detune those new gm's to protect the trans. So much it's almost dangerous.
    Yep, some of the torque management is in those drive-by-wire settings.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

That's one of the things I had deleted on my car. Makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yep, some of the torque management is in those drive-by-wire settings.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I didn't think that Jap Crap was that fast ? Did you miss a shift or something ?
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Assuming we're talking about an m6 5th gen here then it should be a touch faster stock for stock. The 6l80e in those cars couple with the l99 is not a great performer. With a tune and a few mods they can be quick though...

As jones aid most m6 4th gens will be ~107 trap speed. I have seen plenty of stock 5th gens trap near or at 110. Now a couple mph isn't enough to make a huge difference but from a roll the ls3 should pull it.

When racing the 2 cars they're literally that close that I would imagine its who comes off the line quicker will win. The added power of the ls3 isnt enough to make up for a good launch by the ls1 but then again the ls1 wouldn't catch the 5th from a roll.

However just a lid or cat back ls1 should be right there with an ls3 because they're so close stock.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Maybe that's why then, 'cause my modifications include a lid, catback, ORY, drag radials, tuning and a custom FRA.

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Assuming we're talking about an m6 5th gen here then it should be a touch faster stock for stock. The 6l80e in those cars couple with the l99 is not a great performer. With a tune and a few mods they can be quick though...

As jones aid most m6 4th gens will be ~107 trap speed. I have seen plenty of stock 5th gens trap near or at 110. Now a couple mph isn't enough to make a huge difference but from a roll the ls3 should pull it.

When racing the 2 cars they're literally that close that I would imagine its who comes off the line quicker will win. The added power of the ls3 isnt enough to make up for a good launch by the ls1 but then again the ls1 wouldn't catch the 5th from a roll.

However just a lid or cat back ls1 should be right there with an ls3 because they're so close stock.

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Maybe that's why then, 'cause my modifications include a lid, catback, ORY, drag radials, tuning and a custom FRA.
    Um yeah,,,,,that's not stock anymore...

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Hey man, don't make fun of my weak mods. I know you guys in here are all running beasts, but I didn't get my car for all that.

Um yeah,,,,,that's not stock anymore...

Hey man, don't make fun of my weak mods. I know you guys in here are all running beasts, but I didn't get my car for all that.
    Nothing weak there, not my intention to imply that. It's all good

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

It's cool man. Oh, I forgot to mention, I've still got 2:73 rear gears, so kind of a bottleneck there.

Nothing weak there, not my intention to imply that. It's all good

I feel you on the "weak mods". Lid, cat back, free mods, & ported TB are all I have too. Of course, I also have a pile of suspension parts waiting to be installed too.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

I didn't say it felt slower. I said it didn't feel any faster than mine and mine has been lightly modded. It's not bone stock.
    Ok well that makes more sense, because you are modded and not stock your car may very well be quicker. Thought were talking stock vs stock, But until you race a 5th gen feelings dont mean much.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

It's possible and again, I never once said my car was faster. It could be or it may not be. I don't drive my car much and one time I was in it and some kids in a 5th gen Camaro RS wanted to race me, but I declined. I just don't do that crap anymore. Again, his 2SS was a very nice car and it's fast for sure and pretty much superior in most every way to mine as far as quality and ride is concerned. But I would expect that to be the case with a car that's newer with newer tech put into it. Hell, my Kia Forte is a better built car than the Camaro.

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    Ok well that makes more sense, because you are modded and not stock your car may very well be quicker. Thought were talking stock vs stock, But until you race a 5th gen feelings dont mean much.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

It's possible and again, I never once said my car was faster. It could be or it may not be. I don't drive my car much and one time I was in it and some kids in a 5th gen Camaro RS wanted to race me, but I declined. I just don't do that crap anymore. Again, his 2SS was a very nice car and it's fast for sure and pretty much superior in most every way to mine as far as quality and ride is concerned. But I would expect that to be the case with a car that's newer with newer tech put into it. Hell, my Kia Forte is a better built car than the Camaro.
    Blasphemer!!!!

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Just being honest.

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Blasphemer!!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information