Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

ss starting to age

So i took out the camaro for a spin sunday and on the way back home a 350 z pulls up along side of me im already doing about 55 mph when we both punch it and much to my surprise that dam z stayed right with me all the to about 105 mph. O well the way i see it is my car looks nicer. Never knew they were that fast.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Might've been a 370z? A 350z wouldn't be able to keep up like that unless it had some good mods.

Still pretty neat that the new cars are still struggling to keep up with 10+yr old cars :thumbsup:

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS6 View Post
    Might've been a 370z? A 350z wouldn't be able to keep up like that unless it had some good mods.

Still pretty neat that the new cars are still struggling to keep up with 10+yr old cars :thumbsup:
    I agree 350's are pretty slow, a 370 is a good race stock for stock but with bolt ons the ls1 will still come out on top pretty easily

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Yea maybe it was the 370 z then, Still pretty sad to know you need bolt ons for an ls 1 to beat a v 6. Time marches on

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You weren't in 6th gear were you?

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    You weren't in 6th gear were you?
    No its a 4 speed auto. Unless you count reverse

red
    1999 camaro Z28

Still surprising, though. Those Z's are only rated at 300hp I thought. Granted they're lighter, but not that much lighter. Do you have 2.73 gears?

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

The rear gears are 3.23s The car had been sitting for 4 months and i had just put a new battery in it. So the car hadnt been running for more than an hour when i punched it. Maybe the computer needed more time to adjust. Who knows?? Maybe ill see another one and run it.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

A stock 350Z is not as fast or faster than our LS1 f-bodys. Hell, I've driven a 2010 Camaro SS (6-speed) and it wasn't any faster than my car.

red
    1999 camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    A stock 350Z is not as fast or faster than our LS1 f-bodys. Hell, I've driven a 2010 Camaro SS (6-speed) and it wasn't any faster than my car.
    What did you think of how the 2010 drove? I've heard bad things about them. Primarilly the hesitation upon hitting the throttle - that the drive by wire is not the best. I've never driven one, so just wondering what people think. Of course all owners will love them...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I test drove the 2SS with 426HP when it first came out. I wasn't impressed. Car felt like the throttle response was slow like you mentioned. It also felt heavy in the turns. It's been said though that the tune on them from the factory is fairly conservative and a lot of HP/TQ can be freed up from a simple tune.

I have since had the V6 as a rental car. After having it several days, I started to like how it felt, even for being a V6.

Sadly, most cars I get in now seem slow though. The only one that has impressed me lately was my buddy's Viper.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Generally speaking the 5th gen ss is quicker than the 4th gen ls 1 ss stock for stock. Typical 5th gen ss in quarter mile is 12.99 to 13.4 typical 4th gen ls 1 is 13.2 to 13.8 lots of different factors play a part of course, but the advantage goes to the 5th gen ss. bigger engine more h p more torque

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I witnessed 3 different ones at the track back in 2010 and they were consistently all running in the high 13's to low 14's. Some even made mid-14 runs. They couldn't get them to get off the line to save their lives.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I test drove the 2SS with 426HP when it first came out. I wasn't impressed. Car felt like the throttle response was slow like you mentioned. It also felt heavy in the turns. It's been said though that the tune on them from the factory is fairly conservative and a lot of HP/TQ can be freed up from a simple tune.

I have since had the V6 as a rental car. After having it several days, I started to like how it felt, even for being a V6.

Sadly, most cars I get in now seem slow though. The only one that has impressed me lately was my buddy's Viper.
    You need to get behind the wheel of a 1LE or if possible a ZL1

They are a completely different beast.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    Yea maybe it was the 370 z then, Still pretty sad to know you need bolt ons for an ls 1 to beat a v 6. Time marches on
    Technology is the true king. Remember back in the 60's and 70's when they had big block 454's and 500 cubic inch v8's that only had 250-300 hp. I bet in about another 10 yrs you will see 300 hp 4 cylinders. Opps, already happened with the turbo ss cobalt! But you get my point.

Our cars are still young pups in my eyes. 10-12 years is nothing for a car. But like Ron said, it's not that our cars are slow, they just keep improving HP every other year.

Do you want the newest and best? Along with that usually comes a hefty car payment and taxes. Or would you rather throw that money at your 4th gen?

Those little V6's run pretty good in those little Z's. My neighbor has that 4 door vehicle (I think it's called a marono) but reminds me of a mix between a van and a sport utility of sorts, and it's front wheel drive. Anyway, it comes with the same 300hp engine those little Z's do. It's a pretty sporty little thing that gets up and goes. Surprised me when he stepped on it to merge into traffic. Didn't expect that from such a subdued looking family car.
    I was thinking that would be a fun car to modify and surprise some people with

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

It was a nice car (my sisters father-in-law bought it, but has already sold it) and it drove well and has a better overall fit and finish. I got it up into 6th gear and while it was fast, it just didn't feel any faster than my car. Yes, the car puts down more power than mine, but it's also around 400 lbs heavier and that creates a bottleneck.

Quote Originally Posted by ZForce1 View Post
    What did you think of how the 2010 drove? I've heard bad things about them. Primarilly the hesitation upon hitting the throttle - that the drive by wire is not the best. I've never driven one, so just wondering what people think. Of course all owners will love them...

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I disagree with that totally.

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    Generally speaking the 5th gen ss is quicker than the 4th gen ls 1 ss stock for stock. Typical 5th gen ss in quarter mile is 12.99 to 13.4 typical 4th gen ls 1 is 13.2 to 13.8 lots of different factors play a part of course, but the advantage goes to the 5th gen ss. bigger engine more h p more torque

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    I disagree with that totally.
    Why would you disagree???? Its true. Even though the 5th gen is heavier it still makes more power stock for stock than a ls 1. overall the 5th gen camaros are quicker in the quarter mile than the 4th gen ls 1

I agree. Had alot of 4th gens, all of them started out as bone stockers, and I've never had one that trapped much more than 106-107 mph bone stock in typical track conditions, and some as low as 102 mph. The only 4th gens I've seen trap higher are running at places like ATCO where you have mineshaft DA conditions, that doesn't really represent the rest of the country.

Here in the AZ heat, some of the stock 5th gens I've seen run at the track do trap at or very near the 110 mph mark. They may be heavier by a smidge, but they seem to have enough HP to overcome what our stock 4th gens used to mph when they were new. Doesn't mean they'll get to the line first everytime however.

Haven't seen a 5th gen scaled in person, but everyone seems to believe they are around the 3900 lbs. mark. Just for reference, I've never had any of our 4th gens scale below 3,560 lbs, and the heaviest being 3,620 lbs in bone stock condition. So there truely isn't as much difference as people may believe.

Thread Information