Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS info.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    01 Super Sexy SS

Question SS info.

Hi,
    I have a few Q's.
    I am going to be buying an SS M6 sometime next summer . I want an Ls1, but I don't know what year is the best to get. I know most of the 01,02 are out of my range, so I am thinking 98,99 or maybe 00. Is there any diff. between those years?I know most of it is the same. I know some came w/ Slp options. Can someone explain what options it includes in the package and its diff. in hp if any? How do I know if it's an original SS? A had a 94Z and I know you can transform any Z to an ss with accessories. What should I look for besides SS wing,hood,decals, rims, interior dash decal?
    Thank you all for your advice!

P.s
    I've had both lt1's Z28, ws6 t/a and now it's time for an LS1 SS!!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

a original ss will have the WU8 code on the drivers door (THIS IS THE ONLY TRUE WAY TO TELL IF IT IS A REAL SS). They will also have 17inch rims, the ss hood, and the spoiler

some slp options included a different cat back exhaust, intake box, differential, and some other interior options

there isnt much difference in hp, i believe slp offered a 345 hp package, but it only included the lid(air box) and exhaust, and they just figured a 25hp gain

i'm not to educated on all this but this is a general answer to your question
    Last edited by ss~zoso~ss; 12-13-2005 at 05:29 AM.
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

there would be a sticker on the passenger's door listing all the slp options, unfortunatly my ss came was ordered with no slp options

Sunset Orange Metallic
    01 Super Sexy SS

Cool. How about the difference of years('98'99,'00...) are they all identical in hp...? If they are I was kind of thinking of getting a 98 or 99. I met A guy who has a 98 SS for sale(7k) and notice he had a double exaust on the left rear(Slp right?) Any advice on what I should go for?

Bright Rally Red
    Camaro & Corvette

The 01 & 02's have the Z06 intake, which is better than the 98-00. The 01-02 also has the EGR removed from the front of the engine.
    Ralph's Camaros
    2002 SS #2022 GMMG Exhaust,FLP LT Headers,Rapid Stage II Cam. 384 rwhp/381 rwtq

2005 C6 Corvette,Black,Z51, Corsa Exhaust, Kooks LT Headers w/H-Pipe,Halltech Stnger CAI, 388/rwhp & 380/rwtq

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by wicked illusions
    Cool. How about the difference of years('98'99,'00...) are they all identical in hp...? If they are I was kind of thinking of getting a 98 or 99. I met A guy who has a 98 SS for sale(7k) and notice he had a double exaust on the left rear(Slp right?) Any advice on what I should go for?
    the 98's SS had the option for single exhaust on one side, they also have weaker rod bolts on the engine then the 99 up, the PCM(computer) is also totally different in the 98 model.

how many miles are on the 98 SS?? that seems like i very good price for one then is it an M6 or A4??

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

the single exhaust on one side was the stock / base exhaust for the 98 SS camaros and WS6's if you didnt choose any other exhaust package, either from GM or SLP, you got the single exit 3 inch piping. MY SS came with this rare exhaust, fooled alot of people into thinking i had a V6 but went with a flowmaster muffler to get a more agressive sound and pick up some HP

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

25. A production shortage of F-body cams caused the use of a C5 cam to be installed in F-body LS1s for a very short time

*How do i find out if my ss has this cam, its one of the later build numbers so its possible

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    check the lift. pull the valvecover, . put a dial indicator on the rocker arm and check the lift. compare it with the stock Camaro cam and the Y-body cam.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    01 Super Sexy SS

Unhappy

Thanx for the info, but i am still a bit confused. Theres a few things on the list that I don't know what they are or what they do. I don't know that much about cars. What year should I settle for 98-99-00?

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

copy and paste some of the things you dont understand, i'm sure at least 10 of us can help

BLACK
    2000 Camaro ss

hey mine has the WU8 in the option codes but no slp sticker anywhere or dash plaque. Was the dash id above the radio standard or optional?

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Thanks for the info. That helped me out some.

Ermine White
    1964 Chevelle

Quote Originally Posted by gingerss
    hey mine has the WU8 in the option codes but no slp sticker anywhere or dash plaque. Was the dash id above the radio standard or optional?
    WU8 is the option code for an SS, the SLP options,if installed, will be on the pass door jam, and the dash id, floormats and everything else were optional

black
    2000 ss

wu8

i just bought a 01 ss and it has the wu8 sticker on it but also a bunch of other numbers how can i figure what slp options i got on this??is there any way to decode all the numbers on the door jam?thanks

Ermine White
    1964 Chevelle

driver door jam sticker is a GM RPO code listing, SLP option codes, if installed, will be on a sticker on the pass side door jam

Black
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 14 GMC

You can also call SLP and they will give you the build number of the SS that you have. Also the build date as well. I know in mine there is the SLP sticker that says this vehicle was modified at SLP, Toms River NJ, on Nov 1999

www.slponline.com theres the link for ya. Just give them a call, they were very helpful when I bought mine

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by wicked illusions
    Thanx for the info, but i am still a bit confused. Theres a few things on the list that I don't know what they are or what they do. I don't know that much about cars. What year should I settle for 98-99-00?
    get a 2000 man

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss
    25. A production shortage of F-body cams caused the use of a C5 cam to be installed in F-body LS1s for a very short time

*How do i find out if my ss has this cam, its one of the later build numbers so its possible
    C5 cam is not really any more desirable. The main differerence between the cams is the lobe separation angle. GM decided Corvette owners would not stand for the idle quality that Camaro and Firebird owners would, so the C5 cams actually give up a bit of midrange with the wider lobe separation.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Thread Information