Thread: SS Hood

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar

SS Hood

hey guys, ive heard mixed opinions about the SS hood. is it worth keeping the Ram Air setup or is it better to get a CAI? im looking at buying a 2001 SS that is wrecked and the hood is broke where it mates up to the airbox, so i was thinking insted of buying a new hood for 800 bucks or trying to glass the air duct back together, i was just going to make it fit the car and get a CAI. which is better for performance the stock SS scoop or a CAI?

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

The SS hood is more for looks.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

a lot of engineering went into the hood to get more cold air in front of the airbox. It works. A CAI system, free version of FIPK or whatever is also worth doing to get more cool air in front of the box. Put it in perspective, it does flow more air to the box, but it's not a supercharger. It is functional. not just for looks

Quote Originally Posted by mcamp001
    a lot of engineering went into the hood to get more cold air in front of the airbox. It works. A CAI system, free version of FIPK or whatever is also worth doing to get more cool air in front of the box. Put it in perspective, it does flow more air to the box, but it's not a supercharger. It is functional. not just for looks
    so in your opinion which would be your route if you were doin it. spend the time and glass the mouth of the scoop to the box or spend 300+ on a CAI?
    so will the SLP CAI still utilize the Ram Air Hood on the SS? i see that it pulls air after it goes through the radiator from underneath the air box so would air from the scoop still enter from infront of the airbox where it normally would?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

well, I think spending money on a cold air kit is a waste, because you can cut the bottom of the airbox and almost get the same result. Does a CAI flow more then the "free" version? maybe, but the difference probably isn't that great. I say do the free version and try to fix the hood if you can. This will also save you some money you can put towards other mods

well, I think spending money on a cold air kit is a waste, because you can cut the bottom of the airbox and almost get the same result. Does a CAI flow more then the "free" version? maybe, but the difference probably isn't that great. I say do the free version and try to fix the hood if you can. This will also save you some money you can put towards other mods
    The fipk eleminates the air box dosent it. or should i just get an SLP lid and a K&N drop in filter?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I'm not sure if it eliminates the airbox, the ones I've seen are nothing more then a piece of aluminum they directs air from under the car right into the bottom of the airbox. You would still need a lid, and they all produce about the same gains, or you could spend some time with a dremel tool and mod the stock one. As for filters, stay away from the KN, the general consesus here is that is doesn't fit or seal well. I have a Air hog (fram) and it fits good, and there are a few others out there probably better then KN, and they will all flow pretty close to the same anyhow

I'm not sure if it eliminates the airbox, the ones I've seen are nothing more then a piece of aluminum they directs air from under the car right into the bottom of the airbox. You would still need a lid, and they all produce about the same gains, or you could spend some time with a dremel tool and mod the stock one. As for filters, stay away from the KN, the general consesus here is that is doesn't fit or seal well. I have a Air hog (fram) and it fits good, and there are a few others out there probably better then KN, and they will all flow pretty close to the same anyhow
    Thats what the SLP CAI is. its an aluminum scoop that fits to the bottom of the air box and pulls air from behind the radiator. but its 300bucks for the scoop, the lid and a new base that is open. so if i go to a bone yard and pick up an air box base i can dremel it out and fabricate a scoop that brings air from underneath the car insted of behind the radiator but put like a zig zag in it to keep water from splashing up into the filter and still retain the stock ram air functionability.? that woudl make sense twice the cold air into the engine. wouldnt it?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I thionk you are just repeated what I've already said. Yes, cut the stock air box, and mod or buy a lid

I thionk you are just repeated what I've already said. Yes, cut the stock air box, and mod or buy a lid
    im sorry. im just trying to get things straight in my head. im so pumped about this car.

Thread Information