Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SS on the dyno, is this right?

This is a discussion on SS on the dyno, is this right? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by DVrec21 because i've worked at dealership shops before and that dyno looks exactly like a regular dyno. ...

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by DVrec21 View Post
    because i've worked at dealership shops before and that dyno looks exactly like a regular dyno. a friend of mine owns a tune shop and has a dyno that he tunes cars with... and it looks nothing like that. its like a full machine that doesnt let the car jerk back and forth. the one in the video is built in the ground as part of the shop. just doesnt look like a tuning dyno is all
    There are different dynos, mustang dyno, dynojet, dynomax. Portable, above gound, in ground. And some can do 1/4mile runs.

What do you guys think happens on a dyno? Cars are babied? No its tuning tool, and cars are run hard and all out so that they are tuned to be run hard and all out.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 12-08-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Pewter
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    There are different dynos, mustang dyno, dynojet, dynomax. Portable, above gound, in ground. And some can do 1/4mile runs.

What do you guys think happens on a dyno? Cars are babied? No its tuning tool, and cars are run hard and all out so that they are tuned to be run hard and all out.
    yeahhh true... they probably were trying to do a 1/4 mile ET in that video... usually a tuning session will be just a bunch of 4th gear pulls. but either or i guess they make all kinds of tuning dynos, in-ground or above.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

yeahhh true... they probably were trying to do a 1/4 mile ET in that video... usually a tuning session will be just a bunch of 4th gear pulls. but either or i guess they make all kinds of tuning dynos, in-ground or above.
    Yes tuning in 3rd or 4th depending on the car is the norm.

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

because i've worked at dealership shops before and that dyno looks exactly like a regular dyno. a friend of mine owns a tune shop and has a dyno that he tunes cars with... and it looks nothing like that. its like a full machine that doesnt let the car jerk back and forth. the one in the video is built in the ground as part of the shop. just doesnt look like a tuning dyno is all
    jus a quick question are u sure ur car isnt pewter? jus a questoin sorry for thethread jack

SOM
    2002 SS

For anyone to comment that there is something wrong here you are wrong. congratulations you have failed your internet expert crash course.

Doing quarter mile runs on a dyno are EXCELLENT for trying out quick changes in tuning. Most of the time people don't like to be on the street trying out settings and blasting past speed limits repeatedly just to get ready for the races the next day.

Most cars on the dyno are strapped and secured very well for forward motion only because lets face it we dont dyno in reverse. It is normal for a car to rock when letting off the gas or when there is an interruption in the power going down between shifts.

Cool car and video
    Last edited by 5abivt; 12-09-2009 at 09:06 PM.

white
    1999 z28

agree with above
    i am going to extream auto in memphis this weekend to a dyno tune and they have a tree so you can do 1/4 mile runs

Black
    2002 SS camaro

yea ihave seen this befor, someplace call itindoor drag raceing. i have seen where there are to cars rite beside each other. its pertty cool i think

Pewter
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro Loco View Post
    jus a quick question are u sure ur car isnt pewter? jus a questoin sorry for thethread jack
    i've heard many different things from many different people. you could be right on that though....

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

I've seen people do that before, if I were to ever dyno my car like that there would be a 2x4 on the brake backed up against the drive seat cause one slip up or loose harness and that car is flying off that dynojet like a jet. If they are running 1/4 mile times its no point because the number will be false because in real racing there is physics, momentum, velocity, drag, aerodynamics amongst other things that will dramatically decrease what ever times were calculated via dynojet, or mustang dyno.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

No doubt a mustang dyno, many vids on youtube were ive seen cars do that.

Quote Originally Posted by 02_slp_ss View Post
    yea ihave seen this befor, someplace call itindoor drag raceing. i have seen where there are to cars rite beside each other. its pertty cool i think
    They do that at Barret Jackson every year. Last year was a pair of supercharged GT500 mustangs on there. You could pay to get up there and race your buddy in an identical car.

I'd hate to think the amount of abuse those 2 cars took during the entire Barret Jackson weekend.

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    I've seen people do that before, if I were to ever dyno my car like that there would be a 2x4 on the brake backed up against the drive seat cause one slip up or loose harness and that car is flying off that dynojet like a jet. If they are running 1/4 mile times its no point because the number will be false because in real racing there is physics, momentum, velocity, drag, aerodynamics amongst other things that will dramatically decrease what ever times were calculated via dynojet, or mustang dyno.
    Explain this to me superhero. If they changed the tune on that dyno and found that the car went from 100-150 mph 10 seconds faster, would that translate to any faster times on the road? Or do you think velocity,physics, drag and aerodynamics would negate any noticeable changes ? Or do you think mustang dynos don't compensate for any of those ? Looks like someone needs to go google difference between mustang and dynojet dynos.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Explain this to me superhero. If they changed the tune on that dyno and found that the car went from 100-150 mph 10 seconds faster, would that translate to any faster times on the road? Or do you think velocity,physics, drag and aerodynamics would negate any noticeable changes ? Or do you think mustang dynos don't compensate for any of those ? Looks like someone needs to go google difference between mustang and dynojet dynos.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I know Mustang DYNOs are a lot more representative of "real" life because they take into consideration many "factors" such as aerodynamics and rolling friction due to how the actual DYNO works.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    A machine cannot fully compensate for real life variables bottom line.
    Last edited by SAGGIN; 12-15-2009 at 01:38 PM.

SOM
    2002 SS

Doing repeated runs to top of 4th gear while tuning on the street just isn't safe. Bottom line.

Arctic White
    1999 Z28

True, but it can show how much improvement has been made from the first run to the last.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I read an article where a Mustang DYNO was within .1 of the actual 1/4 mile time of the vehicle.....Just sayin that's not too damn shabby considering.

I agree that it cannot compensate for "all factors" though.

Hell, several runs in the same day can all have "different" factors. Were the tires heated up exactly the same each time? No, probably not. Did you launch the same exact way at the same exact RPM? No, probably not. If you are drag racing a stick, are you shifting the same exact shift points and taking the same exact amount of time to shift each and every time? No...Was the track condition the same exact way as it was before? Did you run in the right lane and then in the left?

The list of variables other than "physics" are huge as well.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I read an article where a Mustang DYNO was within .1 of the actual 1/4 mile time of the vehicle.....Just sayin that's not too damn shabby considering.

I agree that it cannot compensate for "all factors" though.

Hell, several runs in the same day can all have "different" factors. Were the tires heated up exactly the same each time? No, probably not. Did you launch the same exact way at the same exact RPM? No, probably not. If you are drag racing a stick, are you shifting the same exact shift points and taking the same exact amount of time to shift each and every time? No...Was the track condition the same exact way as it was before? Did you run in the right lane and then in the left?

The list of variables other than "physics" are huge as well.
    I agree with mostly everything you mentioned there, but I'm more of a take it to the track kind of a guy and run em to find out the potential of the vehicle. Dynos are a wonderful tool, I do not contest that. But if you look at car magazines, different car shows and etc, the information that is presented for 1/4 mile times and etc are determined from running the car down the strip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information