Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

SS on the dyno, is this right?

This is a discussion on SS on the dyno, is this right? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I stumbled upon this video on youtube of the guy "dynoing" his 35th anniversary SS, but it is unlike any ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    STL
    Posts
    6

    SS on the dyno, is this right?

    I stumbled upon this video on youtube of the guy "dynoing" his 35th anniversary SS, but it is unlike any other dyno vid I have ever seen. They guy doing an entire start to finish drag while on the dyno, and rips through all the gears and the car is about to fly off the dyno. does this look right?

    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i1vfRZUpSE[/ame]

  2. #2
    Junior Member MICopper11's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St. Charles, Michigan
    Posts
    70
    I'm never taking any vehicle of mine there....

  3. #3
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Holy crap
    they should be shot

  4. #4
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    They were going for 1/4 mile runs

  5. #5
    Member El Toro Loco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Harlingen, tx
    Posts
    757

    pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

    looks like they were having fun with some poor dudes ride. i'd be pissed if that was my ride n saw a vid of it being abused like that and it was not me doing it.

  6. #6
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    i think the fact it was poorly secured didn't help the situation either.

  7. #7
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by El Toro Loco View Post
    looks like they were having fun with some poor dudes ride. i'd be pissed if that was my ride n saw a vid of it being abused like that and it was not me doing it.
    They did that to a couple cars. Check out all their vids

  8. #8
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i think the fact it was poorly secured didn't help the situation either.
    Actually appears to be tied down fairly well.
    That much added force is going to get it rocking. Even on basic 4th gear pulls the car moves around a bit. When going from a dead stop aggressively, it is gonna move.


    They were doing 1/4 mile runs. Many dyno software programs allow for it.

  9. #9
    Factory Freak Mikat1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Upper California
    Posts
    219

    Artic
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Actually appears to be tied down fairly well.
    That much added force is going to get it rocking. Even on basic 4th gear pulls the car moves around a bit. When going from a dead stop aggressively, it is gonna move.


    They were doing 1/4 mile runs. Many dyno software programs allow for it.
    I still wouldn't allow for it. those guys are redonkulous
    2002 Z28 Slighty modded...

  10. #10
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikat1 View Post
    I still wouldn't allow for it. those guys are redonkulous
    Too each their own.

    MUCH harder on the car to actually race it down the strip...which I know I do.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Glendale AZ
    Posts
    50

    Arctic White
    1999 Z28

    My car has been abused more than that at the emissions centers getting my tags lol.

  12. #12
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    At least they didn't miss any gears

  13. #13
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by McNord View Post
    My car has been abused more than that at the emissions centers getting my tags lol.
    If only mine would pass....

  14. #14
    Factory Freak Mikat1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Upper California
    Posts
    219

    Artic
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Too each their own.

    MUCH harder on the car to actually race it down the strip...which I know I do.
    If it's me doing it thats fine.. not when I hand it over to a guy to make it run better

  15. #15
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Like C stated, a lot of DYNO shops offer to compute your 1/4 mile time for you after they tune the car. Often times they will get a before and after to show you how tuning made a difference, not only in terms of HP #'s, but in the form of ET also.

    This is something that this facility obviously offered. If 1/4 miles times are offered, it would be stated in the pricing for the tune.

    Also, we don't necessarily know that the people in the video are not the owners of the car.

    Either way, the person getting the DYNO tune would have been made aware of what consisted of getting an actual 1/4 miles time off the DYNO I would think.

  16. #16
    Senior Member raynor139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,319

    Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

    If you look at the video page that was pulled from it was shot on a dyno day for a car club at the shop. So I would imagine all the owners were there for it and knew what was going on.

  17. #17
    Member DVrec21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    202

    Pewter
    99 z28

    it looks like a dyno they use to diagnosis vehicles. not a hp dyno meant for tuning. those dynos wont read anything past 150 or 250hp...not meant for tuning purposes. these guys were either just having their fun on a crappy dyno or really thought thats how u do it....with the wrong kind of dyno lol. the whole 1/4 mile runs thing is definitely possible too, though i never even heard of it yet.

  18. #18
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by DVrec21 View Post
    it looks like a dyno they use to diagnosis vehicles. not a hp dyno meant for tuning. those dynos wont read anything past 150 or 250hp...not meant for tuning purposes. these guys were either just having their fun on a crappy dyno or really thought thats how u do it....with the wrong kind of dyno lol. the whole 1/4 mile runs thing is definitely possible too, though i never even heard of it yet.
    After 5 seconds of searching...it is a Mustang Dyno. Which is one of the better dyno's for tuning.

    No idea how you can look at it and determine what you said.

  19. #19
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    After 5 seconds of searching...it is a Mustang Dyno. Which is one of the better dyno's for tuning.

    No idea how you can look at it and determine what you said.
    I was thinking the same thing. LOTS of tuning dynos looks JUST like the one in the video.

  20. #20
    Member DVrec21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    202

    Pewter
    99 z28

    because i've worked at dealership shops before and that dyno looks exactly like a regular dyno. a friend of mine owns a tune shop and has a dyno that he tunes cars with... and it looks nothing like that. its like a full machine that doesnt let the car jerk back and forth. the one in the video is built in the ground as part of the shop. just doesnt look like a tuning dyno is all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Chassis-Dyno Tuning - Dyno-Mite!
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum GTO
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 03:30 PM
  2. Dyno Comparison Gtech, Mustange Dyno & Iphone
    By karpetcm in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-25-2009, 11:44 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 02:31 PM
  4. Dynojet dyno,Mustang dyno??
    By speedydog in forum Dyno Information
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 05:57 AM
  5. Dyno Day @ The Dyno Shop on Sat: 07-22-2006
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Western Members
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-23-2006, 03:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •