Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SS Clone

This is a discussion on SS Clone within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I like the SS better thats why I have done the conversion and then some. And my SS is BETTER ...

I like the SS better thats why I have done the conversion and then some. And my SS is BETTER than the original for many reasons. But even though I like SS's better, I thought it was interesting that someone in this forum said "Any GM can be an SS, but there is only one Z28!". So cheers.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by SS#1531 View Post
    No doubt that a clone will never be as good as the real deal, regardless of the year, but older clones seem to be generally more accepted. Sorry about the confusion. Nice car BTW.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    There is no way u can forget the SS rear end looks better because that is ALL U WILL SEE
    stock(you) < aftermarket(me)

I might get an SS hood after X-Mas. Anybody say that's a bad idea?

pewter
    1999 camaro Z28

i'ts cool

i have a 99 z saving up to buy a ss hood.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    stock(you) < aftermarket(me)

I might get an SS hood after X-Mas. Anybody say that's a bad idea?
    equals 0

I'm (Hurst) Equipped... davebowtie's Avatar

Onyx Black
    '02 Camaro SS(replica) M6

wow . . . lol u guys can get pretty crazy on these boards...
    all in good fun tho'?.... right?

white
    99 z28/98 c5 vert

I have a 99 z and I'm putting on all the ss parts and emblems, but if anyone asks I will tell them it is a z. I COULD HAVE BOUGHT AN SS BUT THERE IS NOT ENOUGH OF A DIFFERENCE TO JUSTIFY THE PRICE I ONLY PAID 2800 FOR MY Z WITH 89K. But I like the ss parts better but I got such a deal I couldn't pass it up. I might use ss emblems off of an impala or truck......

green
    95 firebird

Nothing wrong with altering the appearance of your car (other then you could have bad tastes and make your car look ugly). However, to falsely badge a car is lying in my opinion. The Camaro SS was a car built by Chevrolet, and only them. You can build a car that looks and performs exactly like it, but if you aren't GM, don't call it an SS. I could swap in an LT1 into my bird and mod it so its the same thing as a Formula, but I would never call it a Formula.

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Cloning is getting accepted

I used to think that cloning was very bad, and definitely dishonorable at car shows especially. Now when I see Barrett Jackson selling 'cloned' cars for 6 figures I am starting to accept the fact that people like cloned cars. I still have a problem with it at car shows unless the owner states up front what it is. Being deceitful, and saying it is something it isn't, is just plain wrong!
    I still can't get past the point where I think it spoils the 'old car' collector hobby. When you see one (ex: '69 SS) cruising down the road, you wonder if it is a 'genuine factory original' or just a 'made up' version. It does matter to me.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMan View Post
    Nothing wrong with altering the appearance of your car (other then you could have bad tastes and make your car look ugly). However, to falsely badge a car is lying in my opinion. The Camaro SS was a car built by Chevrolet, and only them. You can build a car that looks and performs exactly like it, but if you aren't GM, don't call it an SS. I could swap in an LT1 into my bird and mod it so its the same thing as a Formula, but I would never call it a Formula.
    96-97 SS were made by SLP

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Wayah-bird View Post
    I used to think that cloning was very bad, and definitely dishonorable at car shows especially. Now when I see Barrett Jackson selling 'cloned' cars for 6 figures I am starting to accept the fact that people like cloned cars. I still have a problem with it at car shows unless the owner states up front what it is. Being deceitful, and saying it is something it isn't, is just plain wrong!
    I still can't get past the point where I think it spoils the 'old car' collector hobby. When you see one (ex: '69 SS) cruising down the road, you wonder if it is a 'genuine factory original' or just a 'made up' version. It does matter to me.
    Absolutely matters to me too. If you have a z be proud of it,Its basically as fast as an SS, Leave it a z,why would you want to try to pretend its a SS ?
    Its pretty sad when someone says ,Wow nice car is that a real SS, + you have to go,No but, but, but,. It really is sad,and they walk away + your left with a empty feeling,instead of a good feeling when the same people would have probaly said nice z.
    Then there is the fact that in 20 years or so,when you want to relive your glory days + go to look for one of these cars, because of the fond memories you are making with them now, I guaranty you are going to want to find the most unmolested and as close to orig one
    you can find, you'll bypass that z with the z06 wheels,ss hood,recaro seats,etc. + drool over the untouched orig. whether it be ss or z.
    Any body who has been thru the last muscle car revival,knows what i'm talking about.Imediatly after buying that chevelle,road runner, gto etc.You got rid of all the mods that were so cool when the cars were a few years old,+ being modified to death, ladderbars,scooped hoods,headers, fender flares, etc.
    Then there is the financial part,by the time you buy a z buy the ss spoiler,hood,badges etc.have it painted,your probably into the "Pretender" for the same price as a real SS, And don't have the suspension,etc.
    definetly not the value,rarity,collectibility,pretige, or feeling of having the Real Thing. An SS is a special model,setting them apart. They deserve there status. Dont fake it.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

damn, what you just said made me feel special as hell hahaha!

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    96-97 SS were made by SLP
    96-02 were SLP

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    96-02 were SLP
    No! In 98, GM brought the SS in house. That means they were producing it, but SLP was manufacturing the parts.

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    damn, what you just said made me feel special as hell hahaha!
    The icing on the cake for you is:
    CONVERTIBLE- Even rarer + special,In the future mega bucks collectible.
    6-speed
    final year of production.
    Has all the right stuff going for it.
    Its exactly what i want ,except maybe the color.

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Not that its a bad color, + they are so scarce,
    I'll probably take whatever color car presents itself,or have to travel,to widen my choices.
    The cars are so nice, color would become secondary, 1st priority would be getting a low mile, unmolested or mildly modified,(if need be)with all the orig documentation.
    But 1st choice would probably be Sunset Orange Metallic
    from the available SS colors.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

The SS and Z are the same performance wise, as for cloning your z, do what ya want, I know I didn't want to mess with buying the hood and spoiler and then getting them painted, so I bought the SS

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Hey mystic-z, I noticed you are in my age group. We did live through the time period of modding the original muscle cars. You wouldn't believe what I did to my '71 Roadrunner way back when. I would never buy that Roadrunner that I modded and owned but would quickly buy the Roadrunner that I originally bought. You hit it square on. Great comments!! Maybe it is something every young person has to live through. It sure kicks you in the ass one day though. LOL!!

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

when I was 15 + 1/2 (about a week before i got my permit) I bought a 70 Challenger R/T S/E
    440-6 pack Super Track Pack(410 Dana + 4-spd)
    only 2 were built with that combo + a Shaker Hood,One 4 spd + one auto, mine was the 4- spd.
    It had already had headers,air shocks,Craiger SS wheels,
    huge in the rear skinnies up front.
    Well my contribution to the wellness of this car was to see how much air I could get off of this little bridge on a back rd.Later I searched for about 17 years for the car
    ,found it, bought it back,looked under it,+ there was the scratched up,dented up k-frame from all the bottom outs.It's now in a collection of e-bodies that you wouldn't believe,+ went thru a six figure gibson resto.
    When i think back at the things i did to that car,as the saying goes, If I Only Knew Then What I Know Today.It would have been a little better taken care of. I was a muscle car nut for years + spent a lot of time + money trying to undo all the sins of past owners, + bringing them back to stock.
    I Hope we learned something, + some of these f-bodies are preserved, not neccesaaarillly (hard word) as museum pieces, just not hammered to death so down the road nice
    examples,can still be had. Save all those stock parts you remove, + hold onto all the documentation.

Pewter
    2002 Z28

Everyone knows (or should know) that all stock LS1's dyno the same to the rears. usually 290-310hp depending on milage, auto or m6...etc. Yes this includes Vettes also. The ss is about a little bit better suspension, and all appearance as well as the collector's value. That being said, get a hood, shocks, and a cat back but leave out the badges.

I have a Z and have paid tribute to all trim levels, I have the RS kit, SS hood, the car itself is a Z, I have 35th stripes since it's an 02 and Corvette wheels to honor the big brother. On my car though although you can't tell I have the Z28 logo about 7 or 8 times everywhere. I am proud of it, and like it has been said before:

Any car can be an SS but only a Camaro can be a Z28

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information