Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SS Camaro real or not real??

This is a discussion on SS Camaro real or not real?? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I love my hood and spoiler. that's all that matters to me, I'm not going to sell mine anytime soon, ...

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I love my hood and spoiler. that's all that matters to me, I'm not going to sell mine anytime soon, and if I did, my dad has first dibs.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    I love my hood and spoiler. that's all that matters to me, I'm not going to sell mine anytime soon, and if I did, my dad has first dibs.
    I agree, the hood and spoiler I think makes this car "last" A z28 will look dated much quicker, SLP did a real nice job with the 98-02 SS's.

PEWTER
    2000 Z-28

Buy A Hood And Spoiler And It Looks Like An Ss. Thats What Makes Them Different. Numbers Here Numbers There, Who Cares. Besides Once Anybody Mods Their Car They Lose Value On The Kelly Blue Book. Those Collectors We've Been Mentioning Are Because They Were Left Alone And Not Driven Daily. They We're Pampered. Garaged Kept. Most Of Them Have Way Less Miles Than Anyone On Here Has On Their Car. The Great Cars Like Berger And All Those Others You're Buying The Name. Those Cars Will Keep And Grow In Value Of Course Because Of Their Name's Reputation For There Accomplishments. But Who Doesnt Already Make More Power Than The 380hp Berger. Or The Even The Zl1. Theres Guys Making Hugh Power Numbers On Their Daily Drivers. Paying Extra For Parts That Are Already On The Car. Granted Now We Have To Pay Alot For Those Parts Cause They Look Good. In The Old Days Yes There Was A Difference. They Had Different Motors. Real Option Upgrades. Anyways Buy What You Can. Get The Best Bang For Your Buck. I Could Have Bought An Ss But Chose The Z. I Didn't See Those Options Being Worth The 6 0r 8 G's More. My 2 Cents.

Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

Sorry to keep digging up the old Z28 vs SS debate here, but hopefully I can put it to a rest. On paper the stock SS is almost identical to the Z28 in acceleration, maybe a .1 second in 0-60 time if you're lucky. Handling is a bit better in the SS .90g vs. .88g in the Z28 I believe.
    Probably better yet in the SS if it has the Bilstein option. Overall, you're gonna get basicly the same driving experience to the average joe driver...so, it's sounding like I'm siding with the Z drivers here...except for the comment by a poster saying both cars will have the same resale down the road. Not quite so... my best example is the Buick Grand National vs. the Buick GNX (auughhh, back in the good days before Buick sold it's soul to senior citizens) Both basicly are the same cars, the GNX had bigger tires and suspension and a bit more hp, much like the SS is to the Z28. Pretty much the same beast though. But, as "identical" as these cars seem, today, a mint Grand National fetches in the $15-20K range, and the same condition GNX goes for $40-60K.
    It's all in supply in demand.

red
    2002 ss camaro 35th

mine has the slp sticker..real ss baby

This thread is getting old but nobody has mentioned the wheels and tires on the SS. If you take the value of the hood, spoiler intake, exhaust, suspension, and 17 inch wheels and tires you are looking at a significant difference from the plain Z28. I spent $2500 being miserly to bring my Z up to the specs of the SS and will never have the resale value of the real thing. Frankly I envy SS owners. If I knew I was going to like my 5.7 liter Camaro this much I would have spent the additional 3 or 4k for the real deal SS. If you look at the listings for a used SS, you will see they always get the money difference back. I predict that one day you will see a 4th generation SS go for $100k on Barrett Jackson and a comparable plain Z28 for half of that.

Member A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR's Avatar

Rally Red/race stripes
    2002 Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by HASTINGSRJ View Post
    +1 for calling SLP with the vin number. I did that before I bought mine to make sure it was a real SS, and there should be a sticker in the door jam that says "this vehicle was modified by SLP Performance on this date________ by SLP Toms River NJ" SLP can also give you your build number if it is a true SS. Keep in mind, that some SS's came with the dash plaque that says SS and some didnt. But all SS's should have the sticker in the door......

rob
    Wrong. Even a true SS WITH OUT any actuall SLP options (wheels,floormats,shocks) ETC... will not have an SLP option sticker...

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

mine's real and doesn't have an SLP sticker anywhere. confused me at first.

Quote Originally Posted by 01Z28M6 View Post
    This thread is getting old but nobody has mentioned the wheels and tires on the SS. If you take the value of the hood, spoiler intake, exhaust, suspension, and 17 inch wheels and tires you are looking at a significant difference from the plain Z28. I spent $2500 being miserly to bring my Z up to the specs of the SS and will never have the resale value of the real thing. Frankly I envy SS owners. If I knew I was going to like my 5.7 liter Camaro this much I would have spent the additional 3 or 4k for the real deal SS. If you look at the listings for a used SS, you will see they always get the money difference back. I predict that one day you will see a 4th generation SS go for $100k on Barrett Jackson and a comparable plain Z28 for half of that.
    You are exactly on track here. Sway bars, wheels and tires, spring rates, body parts etc...all seperate the SS from the Z28 but the real point here is your last statement. Only the real SS's are the ones with documentation meaning the WU8 on the door tag, any paper trail leading back to SLP etc.....these are the cars that will hold there value as they age. We have seen and are seeing this happen currently with the muscle cars from the 60's and 70's. Barrett Jackson has made this very public. And now that 4th gen production no longer exists,,,it's only a matter of time before collectors start looking at them.

I also agree that yes,,,,you can buy a Z28 and try to upgrade the suspension and wheels etc....and you may spend $2-3,000 doing so. But in the end it's still not an SS and it still won't bring more resale money or actual value in the long run unfortunately.

Being both a Z28 owner and an SS owner I feel both sides of the argument here,,,,but resale value and collectability is really what seperates these cars.

I can attest though,,,since I drive both on a regular basis,,,,there is a very noticable difference in the way they drive and handle. I am just an average driver,,,not a road racer. But I can definately feel the difference between the 2 cars, (both are in stock form as far as suspension) and the SS just feels much tighter and more in control of the road.

I still like the Z28,,,and we tend to put most of the mileage on that car simply because the resale value just isn't there anyway so why bother worrying about it. I plan on shoving a new motor in eventually as the mileage gets up there, and it might even be faster than my SS at that point,,,but it won't make it worth more money.

Buy them while you can before Barrett Jackson makes them impossible to own for the average person

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Dear GOD, read stickies people!!! I made this one specifically for this reason...

Is this Camaro an SS? Here's how you can tell...

Cliff Notes for the ones who dont know how to read well...

kinda getting tired of people asking this all the time about whether an Ls1 is an SS or a Ws6. People, it's as easy as this...

1) write down or take pics of the door codes and look for the code that is indicuative of either an SS (Wu8) or a Ws6 (Ws6). It's called: research, so try it sometime. If you had to do it for school reports growing up, I sure hope that as an adult you are competent enough to still know how to do it now...

2) write down the VIN#, drive (or call) to your local dealership, go into the service/parts center and have them run the VIN# for you FOR FREE and PRINT OUT all the CODES and OPTIONS that were ordered on the car...

3) if you cant see it in person, call the perosn and have them GIVE YOU the VIN#, and the refer back to #2...

4) yes CARFAX is a source but since most people dont care to pay for info, i have given you the free route...

there, all questions answered and that should help you to decide if you wish to pursue the car and purchase it...

it amazes me that people do not think to write this stuff down or record it for later use. shit if you look everything else over, how in the hell do you skip this part?
    2000 SS - The Wicked Witch: °°Cammed 'n Slammed°° 458rwhp/410rwtq
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie_girl30
    I was hoping to just hump her up the exhaust cause she is so damn sexy....
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information