Speed grille install???

This is a discussion on Speed grille install??? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Alright I must be an idiot... I can't figure the best way to install the new speed grille I bought. ...

Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro SS

Speed grille install???

Alright I must be an idiot...

I can't figure the best way to install the new speed grille I bought. Yes it came with instructions...however I cannot see how taking my entire front fascia off is going to help...and frankly I don't want to do that.

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance....

Scott

01 CAMARO SS M6 NBM...Pacesetter LT, SLP Hiflows, Eibach Sportlines, Magnaflow catback, KN FIPK, SLP SFC's

99 K3500 4x4 350fi - Flowmaster 50's -295/70/17 Terragrappler on Black H2 wheels

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Can you give me a link to what the Speed grille is and one of us can probably help you.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Can you give me a link to what the Speed grille is and one of us can probably help you.
    Here it is... http://www.streetsceneeq.com/product_list.asp?mi=5

Thanks

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by NHBighead View Post
    I read their instructions. It is absolutely unnecessary to remove the fascia to get the old grille out. Usually you can just pull the outer edges of the old grille and it comes out. What kind of "clips" did they send to attach the new grille with?

Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I read their instructions. It is absolutely unnecessary to remove the fascia to get the old grille out. Usually you can just pull the outer edges of the old grille and it comes out. What kind of "clips" did they send to attach the new grille with?
    The clips are shaped like a small strong bobbie pin (best I could think of) and they are meant to slide onto the new grill and somewhere on the fascia and clamp them together. However I can't see how or where there would actually clip onto the existing grill...as the existing holes aren't shaped right to do this.

I will probably end up go through the air vents and attaching back on the cars structure...didn't feel like f'ing with it tonight...too cold here.

Black
    98 Z28

It looks better than some of the ebay stuff I've seen. How much was it I notice they don't have a price listed? Im still partial to the factory ss grill.

Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
    It looks better than some of the ebay stuff I've seen. How much was it I notice they don't have a price listed? Im still partial to the factory ss grill.
    It also matches the mesh I have in the ram air scoop...125.95 from autoanything. It also gives me a 'better' place for a front plate because I need one in NH.

I can't believe I am the only one with this grille on the board....

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

Be careful when pulling out the old grille, the paint will spider if you pull too hard. Once you get the old grille out you will see where the clips go. There are 6 different spots to clip the new grille to. I'll post a pic soon.

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

Ok take a look there are actually 8 spots to attach the new clips to. I believe thats where all aftermarket grilles attach to. Hope this helped!!!

Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro SS

Thanks guys I appreciate the help...

My car already has the stock grille removed and I see the holes but the clip they gave me don't look like they will work. The instructions aren't great and they say I need to remove my front fascia...I don't want to do that...hoping someone else had already gone through this and could give me an idea the best way to go about it.

Thanks much

Scott

Black
    02 Z28 M6

I have this grille installed on my car and I did not remove the face. I just pulled the front rubber one off. You'll notice the ends are very easy to pop off. Once you have those off just pull on the middle. It will fight you but you'll win. Now you can see the holes for the clips. They won't fit from the front unless you jam them in there. I have the little bitty car jack that came with the car. I was going to leave this alone and get it done right then at about 10pm I was in the garage ripping off the lip. I used some pliers to push the clips through. Slid them in up high then pulled them down till they are secure. The middle holds itself in very tight if you bend those metal sides out a bit once you have them through. If you do this method pliers and hemostats are your friends for the clips. I assume that every Camaro driver has hemos? The pliers don't fit through the grille to grab the clips. Middle clips are hard to retrieve and you don't need them.

I took some sandwich bag ties, stripped the plastic off, and tied them on the far left and far right around the clips and the grille so it will not pop off. I didn't trust that the clips bite down hard enough. It seemed like they would just pop off at a moments notice. You not see the clips or anything holding it on unless you are making out with the car. It's been on there for about 8 months and sits well. There is some guy at my work he payed to have this done on his challenger and it's got 10 white zips ties holding his grille on. Very noticeable.

Last edited by ezwip; 04-01-2009 at 10:50 PM.

Thread Information