Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Angry so sick of this.

So I have an A4 SS, and I am so sick of people asking me if it's stick, then saying "oh, that sucks." when I tell them it's an auto. I've heard "what a waste." "why are you putting money into an automatic car?" "why didn't you buy a stick?" "you car would be way cooler if it were a manual." and so on. I've gotten my car dyno tuned and had my shift points changed for racing. I can barely feel it shift when I stomp on it, it just keeps going faster. I'm so sick of having my car dissed. My automatic can out-shift pretty much anyone with a stick, and I think my car's a blast. Sure, a manual would be alot of fun, but I drive in stop and go traffic all day. gahhh!!!!!!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Use this one on them: Stick shift cars are for impressing high school kids. Automatics are for winning races.

This is true. I've won more races against stick cars with an auto than I've won with a stick car against autos.

There is only 1 person that this doesn't apply to. You may have heard of him from the past. His name is Ronnie Sox of Sox and Martin fame. He could shift a stick faster than an automatic could shift.

If you've read the thread about the 2010 Camaro you'll have noticed the A6 is faster than the M6. According to the engineers they "optimized the shift points".

BTW, let the computer shift the tranny. It knows when to shift (or can be programmed to shift) and can do it faster than you can. You also won't be bending any push rods. Trust me on this.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 08-03-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

I hear you on that one bro. most people who say those type of things probably don't know jack from jill and assume the only type of true muscle cars or sports cars have manual xmsns. how many top fuel dragsters have manual xmsn's? most run a 2 speed powerglide. i personally like driving a stick shift because it makes it more of a personal driving experience, more involved and in tune with the car. an auto doesn't really give me that feeling, but it doesn't mean performance wise that it can't haul ass and be fun to drive. my Z is an A4 and it ended up being a split decision when i bought it because there was also a sweet Z28 M6 for sale and at about the same price with almost full bolt ons. but my wife can't really drive a manual and there are alot of uphill red lights in our town and other reasons why i ended up going with the A4. with a good stall, tune, and good suspension components, you can have a pretty good time with an A4. my last DD was an 84 Monte Carlo SS with a TH 350, i upgraded the rear suspension pretty stiff and threw on a 2500 stall, bolt ons for the eng,(even though it was a crappy 305), and ran straight pipes. this was a fun DD to drive to work in the mornings and the auto trans put up with alot punishment. i literally drove that car into the ground, well it caught fire on the side of the highway but that's a different story. I think hollywood pumps up the hype a little for manual drive cars. they make it seem like every shift is like a turbo boost of power. just MHO

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

I kinda got the impression autos were for the fastest quarter mile times. Thats it. In the beginning manuals are the kings. When you start getting majorly into it A4 with a stall is better. I aint gonna get my car into the 9's so manual is much better and funner right now. If they had a sport shift feature for the LS1's I might of got it but they dont. Kinda sucks! The A4 shoulda been A6.

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Yeah I get that to. Just try this tell them to get in the passenger seat and tell them to reach for the dash and break their fucking neck! Don’t get off the gas till you bury the speed O needle by then they would have shit themselves.

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    I kinda got the impression autos were for the fastest quarter mile times. Thats it. In the beginning manuals are the kings. When you start getting majorly into it A4 with a stall is better. I aint gonna get my car into the 9's so manual is much better and funner right now. If they had a sport shift feature for the LS1's I might of got it but they dont. Kinda sucks! The A4 shoulda been A6.
    An A6 would be nice!

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

I know what you mean...my old Z was an auto, and I remember showing it off when I first got it. "OMG! Can I drive it? ...oh...it's an automatic? Nevermind then." Or the worst, "Haha...you can't drive stick can you..?"

Although, when I bought her, I really couldn't find a good 6-speed LS1 nearby. I was basically torn between the auto LS1 and another 6 speed LT1. Decided I definatly wanted the LS1 and a 5 year newer car though.

However, since I've been back in the car hunt again recently thanks to that damn woman on the wrong side of the road I've test driven a couple M6 LS1's and well...the last time I had that much fun was when I helped a chick that looked just like the pink power ranger (childhood fantasy thing) out in St. Louis move, and she turned out to be a waitress in a local bar. Let me drink all I wanted anytime for 6 bucks. She had a nice new place too.

....anyway, my point is I have no plans to ever be THE fastest guy at the track. I just wanna have the most fun on my long, barren interstate drive to both school and work, and be able to hold my own at the track. The M6 will do that for me just fine, so barring an unbelievably good deal on an A4...I'm gonna be an M6 guy this time around.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

auto = best drag car

manual = most fun car

1966 Corvette Coupe

Unless you are really really really into bracket racing... there is no way i would be an auto.... its just not the same... It's just truely not the same...

-me

Royal pain in the.... Phantom2kz's Avatar

2001 Z-28 A4 NBM
    2002 35th anni SS M6#1696

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    Unless you are really really really into bracket racing... there is no way i would be an auto.... its just not the same... It's just truely not the same...

-me
    +1 here

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

I luv my M6, cause I like the control it gives me. But there are times I wish that I had a A4 especially in traffic. Damn I hate traffic. It wears you out. But on open road I would not have it any other way. Nothing wrong with Autos, but If you know how and when to shift you can beat autos as well. Drivers race if you ask me, stock for stock A4 vs. M6.

navy blue metallic
    2000 z28 camaro

Some Times I Wish I Had An Auto When Racing But I Won Track Championship At Natural Bridge Rowing My Own Gears!!! It Can Be Consistent If You Learn To Drive!!!!! 6 Speeds Rule!!!
    4.10 RICHMOND GEARS,LAKEWOOD LCA'S,EATON POSI,EDELBROCK TORQUE ARM,
    LAKEWOOD PANHARD BAR,SLP LID,,B&M RIPPER SHIFTER,EDELBROCK STRUT TOWER BRACE,SLP FAN CONTROL,SLP LINE LOCK,17 INCH ZR1S WITH 315 35S AND 275 40S,SLP Y-PIPE,TSP 224/224 112LSA CAM,COMP SPRINGS,TUNED BY FROST @ LSXTUNE.COM

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

my next car is def. going to be a manual. Want to give it a shot. I'll still have my SS for when I have to drive in the city.

NBM
    1998 Z-28

People say my auto isn't a true muscle car, I would've preferred a manual, but my auto is fun and fast. I feel for you on everybody dissing your car because it's not a stick.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I am guessing you don't have a stall in your auto do you Bluefield?
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

i love my M6 but i wouldnt diss an auto SS or z28 because think back to the real muscle car days alot were autos anyways and haulled asss

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by O'Learys_SS View Post
    i love my M6 but i wouldnt diss an auto SS or z28 because think back to the real muscle car days alot were autos anyways and haulled asss
    One word....well, two words morphed into one....Powerglide, that's what all the old folks around here always talk about..."you need to put a Powerglide in that Keemaro of yours boy, it'll haul ass then"....

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I am guessing you don't have a stall in your auto do you Bluefield?
    no, I already get crappy gas mileage. :/

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Back in the earlier days of racing, when autos first came out, they were shunned as being people who couldnt drive a stick, and that metality has stuck.

Ill be honest though, i suck at driving stick, unless its something with a lot of power, I dont know why. I would love to drive a manual, but i kind of like being a lazy driver.

Actually when the racing was hot and heavy throughout the 60's the stick was prefered due to the fact that torque converter technology had not evolved yet for the autos,,,so sticks were the thing to have in NHRA stock and super stock racing.

As a matter of fact it's the lack of torque converter technology that kept GM from offering automatics in any of the solid lifter engines ( and a few of the hotter hydraulic cam cars).
    It wasn't until 1969 when the first auto trans was available behind a solid lifter engine. And even at that point the converters still stunk.

Anyway, don't worry what people think of your car. It's yours and thats the bottom line.

If it makes you feel better, we have a pair of SS camaros one stick and one auto. To be honest I like them both equally, both do quite well on gas.

Actually my wife drives the stick around,,,the auto is my car and I'm fine with that

Thread Information