Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

SLP SS's putting down 350 @ the wheels?

This is a discussion on SLP SS's putting down 350 @ the wheels? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I knew there was a 380hp yes..............

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I knew there was a 380hp yes...........
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    All SS's went through their doors
    No they didnt. The only years ALL SS's went through SLP's doors was 1996 and 1997. in 1998-2002 only some SS's went through SLP's doors. if your 1998-2002 is in fact a true SLP car, it will have Y2Y in the RPO list. it will also have right below the RPO list on the drivers door a list of mods installed by SLP. if your SS does not have Y2Y for an RPO code or the list of mods below the RPO list then it was NOT built by SLP. you do not need to contact SLP with your vin. all you have to do is look in the drivers door. this will tell you everything SLP did to the car. if in fact they did. a stock SS straight from GM had a 325 hp rating at the crank. SLP SS's have different ratings depending on what SLP did to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
    you don't have the link to SLP do you?
    And by the way, are their any stickies that will direct me to all the LS1 free mods and stuff?
    I've been an LS1 member since 99' and i'm pissed that everything is sooo different now and I can't find anything.
    Last edited by bww3588; 09-17-2005 at 08:13 PM.

Rhino21149
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
    . . . that SLP SS's dyno around 350 rwhp. Is this true?
    No, not stock from the dealer anyway. I saw one dyno 312 RWHP, right behind a standard Z28 that did 307: I figured the difference was the SLP cat back exhaust.

With a few SLP mods, it is very likely that an SS would make that much power. With a cam, headers, cat back, and air box, that same Z28 that made 307 did 365 RWHP . . .

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by bww3588
    No they didnt. The only years ALL SS's went through SLP's doors was 1996 and 1997. in 1998-2002 only some SS's went through SLP's doors. if your 1998-2002 is in fact a true SLP car, it will have Y2Y in the RPO list. it will also have right below the RPO list on the drivers door a list of mods installed by SLP. if your SS does not have Y2Y for an RPO code or the list of mods below the RPO list then it was NOT built by SLP. you do not need to contact SLP with your vin. all you have to do is look in the drivers door. this will tell you everything SLP did to the car. if in fact they did. a stock SS straight from GM had a 325 hp rating at the crank. SLP SS's have different ratings depending on what SLP did to it.
    Sorry kid, but your info is wrong. All SS's did go through SLP per GM's contract with SLP. Y2Y IS the code for the SS option, so if you don't have the Y2Y code, you don't have a real SS, but a clone. FYI, SLP didn't "build" the cars, only installed the standard SS option (Y2Y) and additional SS options on some of the cars.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS
    Sorry kid, but your info is wrong. All SS's did go through SLP per GM's contract with SLP. Y2Y IS the code for the SS option, so if you don't have the Y2Y code, you don't have a real SS, but a clone. FYI, SLP didn't "build" the cars, only installed the standard SS option (Y2Y) and additional SS options on some of the cars.
    Sorry but your info is wrong. WU8 is the SS package Y2Y is "SLP Second Sticker Content. wwwcamarosource.ca/php/camaro_info_db/index.php?act=options_wheels&year=2000
    Y2Y was added if it went to SLP. SS's came off the assembly line SS's. some were then sent to SLP.

How to identify a true SS. http://www.camarossworld.com/FAQ/Cam...S%20FAQs/#S1.6
    this will vouch for me. not all SS's went through SLP in 1998-2002. the buyer had to specify that he wanted Y2Y. then it was outsourced to SLP.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

SLP installed the hood, rear deck spoiler, and wheels, even if you didn't get any SLP options. Yes, WU8 is the SS code, and the Y2Y if SLP options. You can ask the former owner if you like, I have his cell number

dude, it says it right here in the doc you provided, please read the whole thing;

1.5) What is SLP?

Street Legal Performance (SLP) is responsible for the content of all SS Camaros. They design and manufacture certain parts of the SS such as the functional air induction hood and rear spoiler. They install these items at their factory and also perform upfits such as suspension, differential and exhaust upgrades.

The SLP assembly facility is located in LaSalle, Quebec, Canada.

would you like to post some more bad info??
    Last edited by mcamp001; 09-18-2005 at 06:29 PM.

Red/Silver
    2002 Camaro SS/LE

Your SS is rated at 325 HP base. If it was ordered with the SLP D/D or CM catback, it added another 10 HP (335 HP). In Oct 01 , SLP added the 345 HP option that was the catback & the airlid. If your SS has any SLP options, it should be on a label that in on the right side door.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by bww3588
    Sorry but your info is wrong. WU8 is the SS package Y2Y is "SLP Second Sticker Content. wwwcamarosource.ca/php/camaro_info_db/index.php?act=options_wheels&year=2000
    Y2Y was added if it went to SLP. SS's came off the assembly line SS's. some were then sent to SLP.
    Sorry, the site in which you are putting all your faith is not a GM site. Even on that site, in some places it correctly states that all SS's went through SLP, then on one page you reference, it alludes, but does not state, that some SS's might not have gone through SLP. Also, that page does not correctly describe the RPO codes related to the SS option.

Yes, the GM code for the SS option is WU8. Y2Y is the code for SLP components, ANY SLP components, even if only the standard SS option components of hood, rear deck spoiler and wheels. So, every SS will have both WU8 and Y2Y code on the sticker on the driver's door. Any additional SLP options will be shown on a separate sticker on the passenger's door (1998-2002).

Be careful with the web. Just because something is on a website does not make it true.

There is so much bs out there. ive heard it both ways. (now). i heard somewhere and i thought was totally credible that only some of them went through SLP. that the hood, and spoiler were added at the factory, then outsoruced to SLP for the performance mods. but i also heard that they were all installed by SLP. so im at a end on what to beleive. cause i know ive seen an SS (2001) without the Y2Y, and i know its a true SS because i saw the window sticker and matching vin.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Look at the sticker on the end of the driver's side door and it will have both the WU8 and Y2Y codes right next to each other among all the other RPO codes. The window sticker does not show all the codes.

Cyclone Grey
    2005 M6 GTO

You are both right, from '98 to '00 all SSs went to SLP for hood/spoiler/exhaust/sway bar + other options. For '01 and '02, the installation of these components was brouhgt in-house to the St-Therese factory. The Y2Y cars went on to the SLP factory for DD or CME, Bilstein Suspension or 1LE, Auburn Differential, ZR1's, ... etc. Jeffy an engineer over at SLP Engineering (Troy MI) went over this a few times before their forum was shutdown.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Still, all SS components were from SLP (either manufactured by them or procured by them) per the contract between GM and SLP. That's to what I was referring by "through SLP" on my posts. How each carried out the particulars to the contract doesn't matter; SLP had a hand in every modern Camaro SS.

In any event, this thread has been informative. Everyone who posted is A-OK.

I need a beer

Rhino21149
    Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01
    There was a 02 SS that had 380 rating at the motor. .
    Yeah, there were a very limited number, about 100, with the LS6 in them.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Yeah, there were a very limited number, about 100, with the LS6 in them.
    where in the hell do you guys get this info? No SS that came from SLP or GM had an LS6.. Geez, stop believing everything you read on a rogue site, or from your best friends cousin's sister's niece.

Rhino21149
    I saw three brand new SSs with LS6 engines, 380 or 385 HP badges (can't remember which), ZO6 brake calipers (even said corvette on them), BBS or HRW wheels at Hendricks Chevy in Cary AuytoPark, about three years ago. they had special Hendricks Racing badges, but the sales manager insisted they were part of a "special COPO run of 100." List price was $85K which seemed very high.

Never seen one on the street again.

5 ltr. beater
    Quote Originally Posted by mcamp001
    where in the hell do you guys get this info? No SS that came from SLP or GM had an LS6.. Geez, stop believing everything you read on a rogue site, or from your best friends cousin's sister's niece.
    No, he is right. There was about a 100 SS's built with LS6's in them. I read it in an article in GMHTP a few years back. There was also a special order of about 60 SS's with 427 LS1's that went for about 70k a couple of years back. This info was also in GMHTP. The 427 LS1's were rated at 590HP.
    Last edited by 5 ltr. beater; 09-29-2005 at 06:46 PM.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

GMMG built these, they didn't come from the factory this way

Rhino21149
    Quote Originally Posted by mcamp001
    GMMG built these, they didn't come from the factory this way

Don't know where the three I saw and Hendricks were built: could have been in Hendricks own back shop for all I know. But what I do remember is they had standard GM window stickers, that looked for all the world like the normal ones on Z28s and SSs, and Hendricks insisted they were "factory" cars . . . .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information