Thread: SLP fan switch?

Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

SLP fan switch?

Hope someone can shed some light here...I have a black switch on my car underneath the steering wheel to the right. Problem is, I bought my SS used from a private seller last year, and I have no idea what it does. There is no "on" or "off" switch, and I've lost the number of the last owner, so I can't call him to ask him. This is an SLP car (has the door jam sticker) but I don't the "birth certificate" to list the options. I've read somewhere about an SLP fan switch that keeps the fan running all the time, but when I toggle the switch I don't hear any sounds, and don't notice the thermostat cooling at all. Anyone have any ideas what the heck this switch is for, and what position is "on" and what position is "off" (I assume "up" means "on").
    Thanks for any help.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I dont think that is an option at all. Seems like someone instailed something. I would get under the dash and take a look and see if any wires are coming out of the switch. Might just be a dead switch, the previous owner may have had a cutout, line lock, Spray system. the list goes on and on.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by knoll5150 View Post
    This is an SLP car (has the door jam sticker) but I don't the "birth certificate" to list the options.
    On my SS, the SLP door jamb sticker on the passenger door, lists all the SLP options.
    Also you can get a "birth certificate"...........call SLP and give them your VIN#............they can tell you what SS# you have and they will send you a "birth certificate" ( for a fee)

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

The SLP Fan switch is aftermarket, you can buy it from Summit, SLP, etc. - This was never offered from the factory. I'm sure you know what it does, but it could have been installed by the previous owner, or its just a switch to turn on the flux capacitor.....

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by fxgs View Post
    On my SS, the SLP door jamb sticker on the passenger door, lists all the SLP options.
    Also you can get a "birth certificate"...........call SLP and give them your VIN#............they can tell you what SS# you have and they will send you a "birth certificate" ( for a fee)
    Here is mine:

The fan switch was not a factory option.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

I had the fan switch on my 97 LT1. Pretty sure its the same switch for the LS1's. Up was fans on high, middle was stock operation, down was fans on low. So there should be 3 positions, otherwise its not an "SLP" fan switch.

02 Camaro SS S.O.M.
    07 Trailblazer SS AWD

does that work pretty well? was thinking about doing a 160 stat but after reading threads, still would have to change the fan operation temp, where does it run when they are on low and then on high?

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Its kind of weird, the LT1 changed temps all the time. It would run like 170 on the highway and then around 210 in town. The fan switch worked really well in town on those hot days. It would be 210 and I could get it down to like 180 in no time. The LS1 never changes temp. It runs 205 in town and on the highway. The only reason I would prob get a fan switch for the LS1 is if your going to the drag strip a lot and want to stay cool in the staging lanes or if your having trouble with your car overheating.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Thats because I believe '97 was the last year for a "real" temp gauge, i.e., that actually gave you a true temp reading.
    Since then the gauge is more of an informational type..............you get three basic readings: (1)cold reading on start up, once warmed up it (2)moves up to about the 210 reading when and then (3) oh, oh, you're over heating.
    The only way to get an accurate reading is to hook up a scan tool.
    When I had my car dyno tuned, I had the tuner reset my fans to on and off at: fan (#1)184/175 and fan (#2)194/175.
    Even though the temp gauge in the car, when warmed up reads near 210 I confirmed the real settings as I had the tuner set thru the use of my scan tool.

red
    2002 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by knoll5150 View Post
    Hope someone can shed some light here...I have a black switch on my car underneath the steering wheel to the right. Problem is, I bought my SS used from a private seller last year, and I have no idea what it does. There is no "on" or "off" switch, and I've lost the number of the last owner, so I can't call him to ask him. This is an SLP car (has the door jam sticker) but I don't the "birth certificate" to list the options. I've read somewhere about an SLP fan switch that keeps the fan running all the time, but when I toggle the switch I don't hear any sounds, and don't notice the thermostat cooling at all. Anyone have any ideas what the heck this switch is for, and what position is "on" and what position is "off" (I assume "up" means "on").
    Thanks for any help.
    my car has one but the switch is for slp line lock maybe it has one on it?

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Quote Originally Posted by fxgs View Post
    Thats because I believe '97 was the last year for a "real" temp gauge, i.e., that actually gave you a true temp reading.
    Since then the gauge is more of an informational type..............you get three basic readings: (1)cold reading on start up, once warmed up it (2)moves up to about the 210 reading when and then (3) oh, oh, you're over heating.
    The only way to get an accurate reading is to hook up a scan tool.
    When I had my car dyno tuned, I had the tuner reset my fans to on and off at: fan (#1)184/175 and fan (#2)194/175.
    Even though the temp gauge in the car, when warmed up reads near 210 I confirmed the real settings as I had the tuner set thru the use of my scan tool.
    So you think the LS1 runs around 170 or so on the highway? Also is there anyway to to make your temp gauge give an "accruate" reading? Thanks

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

98 was the last year of the car without the dummy gauge, my diablo sport is set to keep my car running cooler than 189 constantly,

it just sounds like a switch for who knows what, good luck

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I have a 160* thermostat and my fans kick on at 185*. Works like a charm!

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    So you think the LS1 runs around 170 or so on the highway? Also is there anyway to to make your temp gauge give an "accruate" reading? Thanks
    Really no way to tell the actual reading unless you hook up a scan tool....used mine to verify the readings on my SS.

Some folks who have added a piller gauge pod have put in an aftermarket temp gauge for that purpose.

Black
    02 Z28 M6

Perhaps it controls your DRLs (lights under the headlights). I'm wanting to put in a switch to do it myself. They are stuck on even in the daylight. If it's not hooked up to anything maybe you can use it for that anyways.

Thread Information