Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SOM
    2002 SS

Should I?? Trade in 01 Z28 for an '10 V-6 !!

I like my Z alot. it was bought as a dd and is a stripper. Am considering passing by the gm dealer to take a barebones v-6 model out for a test drive. Bare bones 6 speed white/black no options at all. Most likely Ill consider any packages that allow me to get the boston acoustic sound system but thats all.

I know its not a Z but for under 30 cdn I think it will still look sexy and give me much better fuel mileage. I can drive it ez and leave the RAWRing for the 515 rwhp 8000 rpm vette.

What do you guys think? Any comments on the v-6 camaro any owners out there?

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

i test drove a v6 model, they are ok. I just think that a fully loaded interior of the new maro is so much better than the bone base model. I wouldn't do it if i were you.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

so you have a vette? if so I may give that idea a chance...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Can't really say I am a huge fan of them yet. I like their look and curb appeal from the front and sides, but the backside looks hideous. The seating was really comfortable in the 2SS I took for a drive, but I wasn't overly impressed with the power I thought it should have. With that said, I am not sure how the V6 will fair with you as you own two awesome cars already. I also thought that visibility in them was poor.

I personally would keep your Z. If you are looking for a stylish DD that gets good gas mileage, I am thinking you have a lot more, better options for that kind of money.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

you want fun + gas milage + $30k tops...

to me... that makes me think a WRX sti would cure that.... idk i never actually ahve driven one but they're supposed to be fun +gas milage +good in snow + under $30k...

for sure fora used one..
    not sure on a new one off hand

EDIT: looked around on the internet and WRX new start at $25k.. get 25mpg highway, 18 city... (265hp)
    STI starts at $34k gets 23 highway, 17 city (300hp, 285 lb ft)

so idk maybe a lancer?

EDIT 2:
    lancer base starts at $15k, 30mpg highway, 22mpg city (only 160 hp)

better "rally art" lancer is $27k, 25mpg highway, 17mpg city(237hp turbocharged 2.0L)

i guess i'm actually incorrect, both the lancer and WRX dont have good gas mileage, unless you get the stripped base ones...
    Last edited by mammoth713; 12-01-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

actually, what about a new SS cobalt?? i hear they're pretty fun for the money

start at $22k, 30 mpg highway, 22 mpg city, 260hp, 260lb ft....

i'd consider that over a v6 camaro...

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Can't really say I am a huge fan of them yet. I like their look and curb appeal from the front and sides, but the backside looks hideous. The seating was really comfortable in the 2SS I took for a drive, but I wasn't overly impressed with the power I thought it should have. With that said, I am not sure how the V6 will fair with you as you own two awesome cars already. I also thought that visibility in them was poor.

I personally would keep your Z. If you are looking for a stylish DD that gets good gas mileage, I am thinking you have a lot more, better options for that kind of money.
    agree 100%, love the front end the back end uke:
    Sat in a 2SS and as ugly as i thought the interior was, it was very comfortable

SOM
    2002 SS

I do have a vette but I apparently have a 'disease' as the wife calls it haha !

Well I just found out that the Mustang will get a sweet v-6 to for 2011. I saw it coming a mile away and just found the articles. I personally liked the 2010 stang and test drove a few before I bought my z but was dumbfounded that the v-6 was 210 hp and the v6 camaro had almost as much as the gt. On top of that the gt had a 5 speed.

Long story short I work for ford so Im pushing myself to buy a ford vehicle and now that the v-6 will have 305/280,6 spd trans, limited slip, electric steering and a whole bunch of other stuff standard it seems ill be jumping ship ! Only sucky part is that theyre going on sale spring '11 so theres a few month wait.

As much as Im anticipating a 5L dohc 4 valve with 400 hp Ill need to see what my discounts are before I consider it. I really like the stripper feel of my 01 z with cloth interior etc and like the new fabrics they use nowadays. I find the leather looks like plastic. And from what I remember cloth isnt even an option on many packages and v-8 models both stang and camaro.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    actually, what about a new SS cobalt?? i hear they're pretty fun for the money

start at $22k, 30 mpg highway, 22 mpg city, 260hp, 260lb ft....

i'd consider that over a v6 camaro...

+1 this is what I did and love it.

black
    2002 firebird trans am

A Cobalt SS would be a good fun choice, also the wrx, since they are quick and good in the snow! But then again I wouldn't mind a v6 10' camaro, they are sexy and would make a good DD

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

No, and dealership will probably offer you $500 trade for your current Z28, they won't give you shit for it.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by 4thGenTA View Post
    A Cobalt SS would be a good fun choice, also the wrx, since they are quick and good in the snow! But then again I wouldn't mind a v6 10' camaro, they are sexy and would make a good DD
    Agree both are nice. The new cobalt SS has great performance and soem really cool features. The new WRX is pretty quick, but I would get a 08 or 09 legacy GT spec B if I were you. They are a bit hard to find as they are rare but def worth it. Same long block as wrx and sti, different turbo and intercooler. But the spec b version has alacantra leather with or without suede inserts, nav, heated 6 way memory seats, the 6 speed manual and torsen rear diff out of the STI and Bilstein shocks and springs. I get 26-28mpg freeway in my auto 5 speed legacy gt and im betting the 6 speed manual would get 30mpg. Also insurance on the legacy is much cheaper than the WRX or STI as its not seen as a sport sedan even though it has the exact same powertrain.

Last edited by Zinergy; 12-02-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    I do have a vette but I apparently have a 'disease' as the wife calls it haha !

Well I just found out that the Mustang will get a sweet v-6 to for 2011. I saw it coming a mile away and just found the articles. I personally liked the 2010 stang and test drove a few before I bought my z but was dumbfounded that the v-6 was 210 hp and the v6 camaro had almost as much as the gt. On top of that the gt had a 5 speed.

Long story short I work for ford so Im pushing myself to buy a ford vehicle and now that the v-6 will have 305/280,6 spd trans, limited slip, electric steering and a whole bunch of other stuff standard it seems ill be jumping ship ! Only sucky part is that theyre going on sale spring '11 so theres a few month wait.

As much as Im anticipating a 5L dohc 4 valve with 400 hp Ill need to see what my discounts are before I consider it. I really like the stripper feel of my 01 z with cloth interior etc and like the new fabrics they use nowadays. I find the leather looks like plastic. And from what I remember cloth isnt even an option on many packages and v-8 models both stang and camaro.

Since you work for Ford. Have you test driven the new Taurus? I think that would be a nice daily driver....

SOM
    2002 SS

I have not test driven it and do think it is a beauty. I would want the sho but am not a fan of the base model engines. I dont ever like to purchase new beause I like things loaded to the teeth, and that way it gets very expensive very fast. I would much rather invest my money on property than buy a fully loaded ss or z/28 or a gt500. I really liked the new camaro in white and do wonder what it will look like when I slap some 21 inch white wheels on it and slam it low as possible. I'm also not after the high hp model because I already have my c4 for clean up duty

Not a fan of the cobalt. not sure if the new one is fwd but it looks like a bug. it has no poise or powerful stance. you cant just slap on some body package and expect gt500 presence. To me it, as well as the evo and sub will be divided into the dinky civic class in my mind. I am a fan of the loaded evo but ffs $54+ cdn for 300 hp ad it cant even beat my stock $5k 01 z28 in a roll on? no thanks.

Arctic White, red/gray

I have not test driven it and do think it is a beauty. I would want the sho but am not a fan of the base model engines. I dont ever like to purchase new beause I like things loaded to the teeth, and that way it gets very expensive very fast. I would much rather invest my money on property than buy a fully loaded ss or z/28 or a gt500. I really liked the new camaro in white and do wonder what it will look like when I slap some 21 inch white wheels on it and slam it low as possible. I'm also not after the high hp model because I already have my c4 for clean up duty

Not a fan of the cobalt. not sure if the new one is fwd but it looks like a bug. it has no poise or powerful stance. you cant just slap on some body package and expect gt500 presence. To me it, as well as the evo and sub will be divided into the dinky civic class in my mind. I am a fan of the loaded evo but ffs $54+ cdn for 300 hp ad it cant even beat my stock $5k 01 z28 in a roll on? no thanks.
    You put evo and turbo subies in the same class as a civic? lol Both of those cars are faster than any 4 door sedan ford or GM makes with the exceptions of the CTS-v.
    Yes your ls1 car can take those cars in a straight line but it looses in all other performance and usuability. Living in a snowy area i dont know if i can be without a AWD vehicle ever again. I thought you were looking for a DD since you have the vette. The cobalt SS, turbo subaru or EVO make a much better DD than the camaro, unless you have no kids, no need for space and living where the weather is nice all year.

You canadians sure get ripped off in car prices
    Last edited by Zinergy; 12-02-2009 at 12:34 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 02ultraZ View Post
    i test drove a v6 model, they are ok. I just think that a fully loaded interior of the new maro is so much better than the bone base model. I wouldn't do it if i were you.
    The "bone base model" can be had with every option aside from powertrain that the other v8 models have.. My 01 is exactly such a Camaro. The only thing my 01 v6 does'nt have is leather and a v8.. My "base" model carries options that alot of the guys here don't have on their LS1 Camaros..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-02-2009 at 12:35 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

Not a fan of the cobalt. not sure if the new one is fwd but it looks like a bug. it has no poise or powerful stance. you cant just slap on some body package and expect gt500 presence.

it's suppose to be a "sleeper"...260hp in a 2900lb car is nothing to sneeze at, and unless you have the high rise spoiler most people will never think twice until they get spanked by one. with the GM Stage 1 kit, it bumps horsepower to 300 and only costs about 700$ while keeping the factory warranty

the car also has some fun features...No Lift Shift, Launch control, and RPD (Reconfigurable Performance Display). Best bang for buck in my opinion, the car can be had for 20-23k brand new off the lot
    Last edited by Poppn; 12-02-2009 at 12:56 PM.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

I like my Z alot. it was bought as a dd and is a stripper. Am considering passing by the gm dealer to take a barebones v-6 model out for a test drive. Bare bones 6 speed white/black no options at all. Most likely Ill consider any packages that allow me to get the boston acoustic sound system but thats all.

I know its not a Z but for under 30 cdn I think it will still look sexy and give me much better fuel mileage. I can drive it ez and leave the RAWRing for the 515 rwhp 8000 rpm vette.

What do you guys think? Any comments on the v-6 camaro any owners out there?
    i'd do it if was an even trade

but srsly, go big or stay home, get an SS, at local car meets everytime a v6 maro shows up everyone talks shit, you should see how quick peoples faces turn down when he says its v6.

and if you need economy get a awd wrxsti subaru
    Last edited by justinmc978; 12-02-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post

but srsly, go big or stay home, get an SS, at local car meets everytime a v6 maro shows up everyone talks shit, you should see how quick peoples faces turn down when he says its v6.

He has a 515whp c4 vette, this car is supposed to be a DD. Which makes me think why are his two top choices a 2011 v6 mustang and 2010 v6 camaro. IMO those cars a neither fast nor good for economics and have no place for me. But thats just me and my thinking

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post

Not sure what you got goin' on there. But yeah I get that same "head down" stuff when one of my v6's beats up on a v8..

Thread Information