View Poll Results: What should I do with the money?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • repaint the bumper

11 37.93%
  • get new tires and another goody

18 62.07%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

should I take the money????

well, my neighbor backed into my SS with her truck a while ago, and it cracked the paint on my bumper. you can't really see it unless you look really close and are looking for it. The neighbor's insurance guy came and looked at it, and wrote down the repairs for $750, with $28 per hour for the work. I took the car to my dad's body shop guy who does everything top notch. He took a look at it and said that it was just a crack in the paint, and that it wouldn't get any worse. He said that he charges $40 bucks an hour, so we would need to call the insurance and get the money raised. The body shop guy said that he would just take the money and spend it on something else, since it would cost me around 800 bucks for them to take the bumper off, strip it down to the urethane, and then paint it. and then the paint wouldn't match the rest of the car. I plan on painting the whole car down the road anyways, so I'm really considering just letting it be for now and taking the 900 bucks or so and getting some new tires and maybe something else for my suspension. what do you guys think?

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

let's see some pics. But if is really as small as you say it is, I would probably not fix it. But "IF" it that happened to me, and it was my front bumper i would definately get it done, because it would mean that I would be getting all the tiny road rash nicks fixed too

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

the body shop guy said that it looks like my front bumper had been repaited before, so I'm not even sure if it's the original paint. the lady who I bought it off of might've hit something and gotten it fixed, which would explain why I got it so cheap. the back bumper is messed up too, so she might've been a really shitty driver. haha I'll try and get some pics up.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I tried to take pictures, but they are small spider cracks, and really hard to catch in a picture.

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Leave it since you'll paint it later anyway. Almost like free money then since you were going to paint it anyway. You could get some fresh new tires and SFCs.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

already got some subframe connectors . I'm gonna get some KDW's for $850, so hopefully I'll have some left for a panhard bar or something. that's is, if I don't get it repainted now

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Take the money and get something else, a small crack aint shit, u getting it painted later on anyways lol

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

KDW's rule! I have 285/45's in the rear and they stick real nice.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

do you have the stock 17 inch rims?

white
    2002 z28

would be nice for some free money, but in the back of your head you will always know its there. i know it will bother the crap out of me....

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

fix it................once you start letting it go, other things will add up too.... fix it while you can.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by kebie05 View Post
    fix it................once you start letting it go, other things will add up too.... fix it while you can.
    x2

Junior Member 94TA25thANNIVERSARY's Avatar

White
    1994 Trans Am 25th

I am very picky about my paint. I'd fix it.

Pewter
    2000 Z28

Pro's and Cons

you can't really see it unless you look really close and are looking for it. He took a look at it and said that it was just a crack in the paint, and that it wouldn't get any worse. it would cost me around 800 bucks for them to take the bumper off, strip it down to the urethane, and then paint it. and then the paint wouldn't match the rest of the car. I plan on painting the whole car down the road anyways]

While cracked paint most of time on Chevrolet's does lead to pealing/flaking paint, if the cracks not really big hit it with some kind of sealant to keep the cracks from spreading. The idea of non-matching paint would be the deterrent for me. Just my 2 cents.

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

everyone may not be able to see it true...but its going to be the frst thing you notice when you walk to your car ....so if you can live with that then go for buy some other stuff but IMO id fix it now before it gets worst

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

to tell you the truth, I can't even see it when I walk up to my car, I have to bend down and look for it....

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    The body shop guy said that he would just take the money and spend it on something else, since it would cost me around 800 bucks for them to take the bumper off, strip it down to the urethane, and then paint it. and then the paint wouldn't match the rest of the car. I plan on painting the whole car down the road anyways, so I'm really considering just letting it be for now and taking the 900 bucks or so and getting some new tires and maybe something else for my suspension. what do you guys think?
    I would find another body shop, If he cant get the paint to match then umm yea. If it stretched the bumper and there are spider cracks, getting it re painted might be the cheap way out but picking up a new bumper cover would probly work best. I had a customer take his SS to get a new bumper and get it painted and i dont think it cost him anymore than 700$. Only down for 2 Days.
    Just my op thou
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    2001 Pontiac

Sounds like you've already talked yourself into taking the money & using it for other things.
    What would you neighbor think if she found out you did that?

Junior Member jason_a_marzewski's Avatar

BRIGHT RALLY RED
    2002 CAMARO Z28RS

Cracked Paint

21 October 2007

Dude, I wonder if the crack in your paint is something that could simply be buffed to minimize its appearance since, by your description, the area is so minute.

I also wonder if you could get some GM touch-up paint and use the precision pen tip to draw a very thin line of new paint on top of the scratch and then, once it is dry, buff it nicely to smooth it down.

I've very carefully and quite judiciously used touch-up paint on a few miniscule rock chip areas along the lip of my hood, and have been very pleased with the results: I know where the repainted areas are, and even I have to really, really look hard to see the faint areas I've touched up, and often I can't even find some of them!

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with!

Red
    2000 SS

I had spider cracks on my back bumper on my LT1. I was getting the fuel pump replaced and the shop pushed the car in the with a tractor touching the back bumper. They claimed they didn't do it, insurance guy came out to my house and called back later. Said there was no way they could have done it. I was pissed. Anyway, I could barley notice the cracks at all. Had to be looking for them. I was quoted $560 for the bumper to be removed and repainted. Never did do it though. I sold the car, haha. But, if I were you I would get it fixed. I have very few rock chips on my car and they drive me insane. The smallest things drive me nuts. I wish I could get everything fixed on my car now but it will have to wait. It especially pisses me off because my car only has 12k on it. Good luck though with whatever you decide.

Thread Information