Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I sell my Camaro for a GTO?

Ok maybe i'm crazy for just not pulling the trigger on this right away but I'm still on the fence. I have a 99 SS Vert, M6 with 410s, catback, lid and shifter. I'm at dinner with my father last night and he offers me his 05 GTO it's bone stock with 1600 miles on it and yes it's really 1600 miles he is the original owner it sits in his garage on a battery tender. It's dark blue fully loaded. The deal is I sell my camaro and my beater (99 maxima) give him the proceeds and pay $250mo to him interest free until it's paid for. We have not agreed up on a price but he'll cut me a deal less than 20k. My GF and brother think I'm nuts that there is nothing to think about sell my cars and take the goat before he changes his mind. I'm not worried about that he obviously is in no rush and doesn't need the $$$.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    Ok maybe i'm crazy for just not pulling the trigger on this right away but I'm still on the fence. I have a 99 SS Vert, M6 with 410s, catback, lid and shifter. I'm at dinner with my father last night and he offers me his 05 GTO it's bone stock with 1600 miles on it and yes it's really 1600 miles he is the original owner it sits in his garage on a battery tender. It's dark blue fully loaded. The deal is I sell my camaro and my beater (99 maxima) give him the proceeds and pay $250mo to him interest free until it's paid for. We have not agreed up on a price but he'll cut me a deal less than 20k. My GF and brother think I'm nuts that there is nothing to think about sell my cars and take the goat before he changes his mind. I'm not worried about that he obviously is in no rush and doesn't need the $$$.
    1. Are you making payments on your current vehicles?
    2. Check the Insurance quotes (which is higher to have)
    3. I live in Bristow and the roads in our area are terrible (with all the construction), it is good to have a beater (especially the bad winter we just had). Is it possible you can keep your beater and have the GTO?
    4. Do your current vehicles give you problems?

Maxima is paid for I owe 5k on the camaro it's $250 mo.
    Insurance won't be an issue at my age but I will be checking this week.
    I was thinking about possibly getting another beater before the winter starts or keeping it and coming up with more cash which is feasible.
    The maxima has AC issues and the camaro needs a window motor that's it.

The only other thing is my garage is dedicated to motorcycles so the GTO will now pretty much be a DD and stored outside. I do ride my bike every chance I get so the mileage I put on the GTO won't be too bad but I will put more than 1600 miles on it in 5yrs that's for sure!

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

a friend of mine traded his 98 z28 for a gto about 4 years ago and still regrets it... just sayin

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

The ls2 GTO is a better car in everyway except weight. Just saying

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    The ls2 GTO is a better car in everyway except weight. Just saying
    dont get me wrong, I agree with you but my buddy just never stopped missing his Z and still wishes he had it is all Im saying. If you really love your F-body, like many of us do, you might wanna think long and hard about parting with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BLK2KSS View Post
    a friend of mine traded his 98 z28 for a gto about 4 years ago and still regrets it... just sayin

Yeah but I could sell the GTO whenever I wanted and get another camaro if that happened.

Awaiting Activation

Silver / black
    95 Z28

so then you want to be stuck with 2 payments essentially? You'd still owe dude for the gto and then have a car payment on a new camaro? Stick with the camaro dude, money might not be an issue but it's still less drama to stick with what ya got now. plus heaven forbid somethin go wrong with the lady and then he decides to jack you around with the car....not cool... just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by ZCam95 View Post
    so then you want to be stuck with 2 payments essentially? You'd still owe dude for the gto and then have a car payment on a new camaro? Stick with the camaro dude, money might not be an issue but it's still less drama to stick with what ya got now. plus heaven forbid somethin go wrong with the lady and then he decides to jack you around with the car....not cool... just sayin
    The guy is my dad he doesn't need money and would never jack me around if anything he might tell me to stop paying him after a while. I wouldn't owe anything on the camaro I would pay it off before buying the GTO and my payment would stay exactly the same $250mo and only one payment. This is what makes the deal so enticing I basically get a brand new GTO for my camaro and a couple extra years of payments.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

thats a good deal......JUMP ON IT

NBM
    01 Camaro SS

I'd sell the Z and beater, pick up the GTO, drive bikes as much as possible to keep miles low ... then about a year or two later, sell GTO and buy another Z. You'll have extra $$ floating after all that hassling (hopefully) and use it to mod your "new" Z!

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    thats a good deal......JUMP ON IT
    Yeah I think it's too good of a deal to pass up. To be honest I'm kind of over the ragtop thing too. I can get a decent ls1 camaro anytime but this is the only time I will be offered a deal like this on what is basically a new GTO and like Zinergy said it's a better car in most aspects. I'm going to sell a few other things so I can keep the beater. If I decide to get another camaro I will get what I wanted to begin with an 02 SS LE with t-tops.

Thanks for the responses.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

You're getting a good deal on a car you like, that's what matters... But having said that, I never was a fan of the new GTO. They coulda done such a better job with its styling. I prefer the look of the Camaro myself, even if the GTO is a better performer. But as you say, it's not the Camaro you wanted, you've had it a while, the GTO is a deal, so enjoy!

silver
    07 Mazda 3

That's a pretty good deal. I'd do it... basically a brand new car.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    Yeah I think it's too good of a deal to pass up. To be honest I'm kind of over the ragtop thing too. I can get a decent ls1 camaro anytime but this is the only time I will be offered a deal like this on what is basically a new GTO and like Zinergy said it's a better car in most aspects. I'm going to sell a few other things so I can keep the beater. If I decide to get another camaro I will get what I wanted to begin with an 02 SS LE with t-tops.

Thanks for the responses.
    Hard to be that low payment interest free on practically a new GTO and its your dad car. Very sweet deal. I like Camaros better but the GTO's inside is very nice

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

never buy or sell cars to someone your close to, you just set yourself up for fail in the future....just sayin

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Bought a 99SS new and sold it in 06 and bought the 06 GTO new, have 30,000 on the clock and have enjoyed every mile. I liked the SS but like the GTO much more,very good driver, good power, very comfortable, interior is very well fit. Pops is cutting you a good deal on a car that is not even broken in, just don't see how you could go wrong.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    never buy or sell cars to someone your close to, you just set yourself up for fail in the future....just sayin
    I have sold cars to friends that were on a two year payment plan. I have bought cars in my younger day on payment plans from friends and both cases were great. You just gotta know the people and know they wont screw you. And if the ops relationship is anything like me and my dads everything would work out great.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I have sold cars to friends that were on a two year payment plan. I have bought cars in my younger day on payment plans from friends and both cases were great. You just gotta know the people and know they wont screw you. And if the ops relationship is anything like me and my dads everything would work out great.
    Exactly. I've made multiple deals with friends and family but only people I truly trust. I have not had a single issue with any of them. Money, cars, etc...can only screw things up if people let them. I don't need the car, I have money and so does he. The only reason I'm not buying it outright from him is the interest free low payment is too good to pass up because I'm saving $$$ to get a second home.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

I'd take the offer and get rid of the vert. Then when you get the 02 SS down the road you will like how much better it is from lighter weight and better engine technology of the 02's... Plus you get to experience the GTO. Get a beater though for sure...

Thread Information